Changing a tap microswitch

GMJ

We have been suffering from our water pump switching itself on for a second or so every so often, an occasions which I describe as a 'fart' from the water pump. I think I have narrowed it down to one tap in the bathroom which starts these farts after it has been used. At the moment firmly closing the tap after use seems to stop the noises but I'd like to explore whether a long term solution can be found and it seems possible to me that the microswitch may not be shutting properly.

Has anyone changed one of these? There are YouTube videos but I'd be interested to hear if anyone has done this themselves or whether I'll hand it over to the dealer to do.

Ta

I’ve had to change several taps in Demi. Usually because I’m so kack handed, rather than failure.
Can I ask the age of your MH? As I’m finding it more difficult to source microswitched taps.
I think most modern vans use the Shurflow system

I had a van ages ago G, it had two dodgy tap switches, I decided discretion was the better part of valour and fitted a 21psi pressure activated Shurflo pump, worked out cheaper and much easier.

I had a van ages ago G, it had two dodgy tap switches, I decided discretion was the better part of valour and fitted a 21psi pressure activated Shurflo pump, worked out cheaper and much easier.
In that case, it’s unlikely to be a micro switch problem.
I thought of doing a similar conversion. I was dissuaded because I couldn’t trust the existing fittings. Any leakage from any fitting would drop the water pressure, activating the Shurflow pump.

Possibly but it cured the problem. I think the same taps were about £40 each the pump was £47, no brainer and the access to the pump was under the sofa.

I’ve had to change several taps in Demi. Usually because I’m so kack handed, rather than failure.
Can I ask the age of your MH? As I’m finding it more difficult to source microswitched taps.

It's 2017

Yes simple enough but more than likely the cartridge for the water pic 420220920_100458.jpg20220920_100532.jpg20220920_101903.jpg20220920_101857.jpg20220920_101911.jpg20220920_101935.jpg20220920_102234.jpg20220920_102324.jpg20220920_100539.jpg

If you have the tower style tap remember there's a small screw to the rear at the bottom which has to be removed as well.

We have been suffering from our water pump switching itself on for a second or so every so often, an occasions which I describe as a 'fart' from the water pump. I think I have narrowed it down to one tap in the bathroom which starts these farts after it has been used. At the moment firmly closing the tap after use seems to stop the noises but I'd like to explore whether a long term solution can be found and it seems possible to me that the microswitch may not be shutting properly.

Has anyone changed one of these? There are YouTube videos but I'd be interested to hear if anyone has done this themselves or whether I'll hand it over to the dealer to do.

Ta
To me, the problem sounds very much like the pump coming on due to a slight pressure loss. But systems that use taps with switches aren't pressure-activated. And switches tend to be on or off, they wouldn't come on for a second every so often by themselves.

If it were me I think I would do a bit more troubleshooting before starting to disassemble taps and the like to try and make sure going down the right path.
For example, how long is there between each "self-start" of the pump? Try turning the pump power off for longer than that, then when you turn the pump power back on, does it immediately kick in?
When you turn the tap on and off, does the pump instantly respond accordingly, or are there any lags (indicating a sticky switch or mechanism)?

Microswitch taps are very common on the typical VW Transporter self-build campers, so you should be able to find them from companies catering to that market. Although I don't know if they would be the right style other than having a switch.

Thanks

I think from all the replies here and elsewhere, that it is a pressurised system rather than micro switches now. I also found that if we close the tap in a certain position it stops the farts too! Not a long term solution but will do for now until, as you say, I do some further digging.

Just look at the connections to an easy tap (kitchen)
If it has a pair of wires (very very thin)
That go into the tap then you are likely to have a microswitch system with the switch acting as a relay.
If tap is closed no water will come out but the microswith should be open so there is no power to the pump.
We had this and so the pump would still operate until the microswitch was juggled !
Tap open @ microswitch closed ie a circuit.
Tap closed @ microswitch open (no circuit) so no pump noise

Thanks

I think from all the replies here and elsewhere, that it is a pressurised system rather than micro switches now. I also found that if we close the tap in a certain position it stops the farts too! Not a long term solution but will do for now until, as you say, I do some further digging.
Reasons for this could be a very slow leak somewhere (check all fittings are fully tight) but could also be water pressure changing as the water temp changes. What you are getting is not that unusual and may well be not a problem.
Could turn the tap power off when not using the taps or shower. Only pain is if the toilet flush is main tank fed and have to have the pump on to flush, but a spray bottle handy could get round that if forget to turn it on.

• Thank You
Reactions: GMJ
Our pump goes off with the ign on, so unless we turn it on it never pumps.

Our pump goes off with the ign on, so unless we turn it on it never pumps.
indeed :) That is a annoying feature of most British motorhome and camper electrical systems.

But once you turn it on, do you turn the power to the pump off again after you used the tap? I am guessing you don't.

Thanks

The "certain" position could be in a mixed position, where the hot and cold feeds are both partially open?

indeed :) That is a annoying feature of most British motorhome and camper electrical systems.

But once you turn it on, do you turn the power to the pump off again after you used the tap? I am guessing you don't.
We turn it all off during the night David, if it burps during the day we don't normally notice.

The panel itself comes back on but all the switches are dead until you turn each oneon again.

We leave ours on and need it on during the night for Mrs G's nocturnal wanderings!

Does yours have an accumulator?

Do what now?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back