Changing internal lights

nabsim

Most of the lights in our van have already been changed leaving one over the kitchen area and a ceiling light over the bed end. I purchased some led’s and intended stripping out the tunes and internals and replacing with the led’s.

While surfing a few forums on Saturday though I kept seeing threads saying 12 volt fluorescent tubes have about the same power demand as led’s so I have left them alone for now.

Anyone got any evidence showing if it is worthwhile striking out working 12v fluorescent tubes or better to wait for them to pack up before changing? From what I have found so far it’s halogen and radiant bulbs that yield the best savings.

Most of the lights in our van have already been changed leaving one over the kitchen area and a ceiling light over the bed end. I purchased some led’s and intended stripping out the tunes and internals and replacing with the led’s.

While surfing a few forums on Saturday though I kept seeing threads saying 12 volt fluorescent tubes have about the same power demand as led’s so I have left them alone for now.

Anyone got any evidence showing if it is worthwhile striking out working 12v fluorescent tubes or better to wait for them to pack up before changing? From what I have found so far it’s halogen and radiant bulbs that yield the best savings.

I've changed all 8 (?) fluorescent tubes in my Moho to LEDs, Neil. The tubes are stated to be 8W but that may not include the power taken by the electronics needed to drive them from a 12V supply.
My LEDs give about the same light output as the 8W fluorescent tubes they replace but only consume about 3W from memory. I'll be at Henley if you want to look over my modifications.
Be aware that the 4 numbers associated with the LED strips describe the surface area of the individual LEDs making up the strip. It's obviously important to choose something that gives about the same light output per metre as the fluorescent tubes that they replace. Also be aware that any sticky tape backing WON'T hold the LED strip in place once the strip has warmed in use - the strip needs a mechanical anchor. I used small zip ties.

Colin ???

I found an LED tube direct replacement for my kitchen light at a motorhome show, from a company called LEDbulbs4U... haven't found anyone else that sells them although you can easily get complete replacement strip lights. The tube wasn't cheap - around £12 and I think they've gone up a lot over the past couple of years. It definitely uses less power than the old fluorescent tube... 3W as opposed to 8W for the old one. I've bought most of my bulbs from them because I had an early bad experience with some eBay ones from China that started smoking! Made me really nervous about cheap bulbs but I know most people don't have any problems with them.

I have already bought what I think would do the job, I was intending opening the strips up and gutting them so I only made use of the carcass and the switch

I have already bought what I think would do the job, I was intending opening the strips up and gutting them so I only made use of the carcass and the switch

That's exactly the way to tackle the job, Neil.
It's well worth doing in my view.

Colin ???

That's exactly the way to tackle the job, Neil.
It's well worth doing in my view.

Colin ???
Well I still have all the parts Colin so not a problem to still do it was only the threads I read that made me leave it. Will show you what I got to do it with at Henley :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back