Charging a cordless Drill/Driver

jagmanx

We mainly do not use EHU
We are away in the MoHo for a full 5 months in the summer
I carry many tools but would like to have a cordless drill/driver which would obviously need recharging from time to time
Would it require a powerful inverter to charge it.
Possible drill driver https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6161400
I have a Ring 150watt inverter (Like a silver coke can) which recharges my camera battery (240V) and will power my laptop
using the supplied 240V AC to 19V DC plug

PS1
I use the inverter with care either
a) Off the EB if travelling OR
b) Off the LB if stood and the sun is strong (120watt solar)
So I have no fears about discharging either battery

PS2
I will also be getting a 12V DC to 19V DC charger for my laptop (USB C)

It might be easiest to call in to Argos and have a look at the data plate on the charger, looking for how many watts it needs.

I suspect not a lot as it's taking 5 hours to charge a 0.8Ah battery, if that's correct.

They need very little power to recharge. A 150W Inverter will be more than adequate in power terms although some battery chargers do need a pure sine wave to operate correctly.

That particular one you have linked to is rated at an input of 0.2A at 100~240V - so at UK voltage it'll draw max of 0.1A, or 24W.
Bosch have a range of 12V tools that are nice and one of the chargers actually has a 12V input so you can chop off the mains plug/transformer and connect a 12V accessory plug instead. I did this and used a waterproof socket+plug so I can change between 240V AC and 12V DC on the same charger (just a thought as you have not yet bought)

Edit: this is the drill/driver I bought and which came with the charger I modified - https://amzn.to/2Hsamb4
Works nicely (I got a discount from Amazon so actually paid £44. Went for this range as it uses the same batteries as the cordless Dremels, which use a lot as well)

Last edited:
Be sure to buy one with a Li-Ion battery, not a NiCd one. That way the battery will hold its charge for months between uses. In my experience, NiCd ones are always flat when you get them out to use after a few weeks rest.
As for the charging, the vast majority use switch mode power supplies, which are absolutely fine with modified sine wave.
Some that have transformer power supplies can be less happy unless they have PSW power.
It's easy to tell: transformer ones are significantly heavier, and they get warm when plugged in to the mains but with no load.

Beware, a modified sine wave may damage your charger. I have done that. Is your charger a full sine wave?

It is modified sine wave...
I know it Bugg3rs electric toohbrushes.
I will aim to have a good battery (lithium) and charge it when we have EHU...The Inverter is "emergency only" so will take the chance if I have to !

It is modified sine wave...
I know it Bugg3rs electric toohbrushes.
I will aim to have a good battery (lithium) and charge it when we have EHU...The Inverter is "emergency only" so will take the chance if I have to !
Toothbrush chargers are a special case, because they use an inductive coupling between the base and the brush. For them, the solution is simple: use a USB charger - under a fiver and they work a bit slowly, but very well, at least for Braun/OralB toothbrushes.
There is no reason why a switch mode adapter won't be happy on any waveform. Almost all* transformer ones will be fine, if slightly less efficient.
The proponents of PSW chargers tend to be repeating stuff they've been told with no clear understanding of the technology.
*I suspect that all will be, but there might be some really badly-designed ones that might be marginal.

Toothbrush, Oral B / Phillips damaged.
Braun has been happily used for eight years for the Phillips.

Toothbrush, Oral B / Phillips damaged.
Braun has been happily used for eight years for the Phillips.
Ah, yes. Toothbrushes do need a PSW supply, but it isn't the charger that's the problem, it's the inductive link.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back