Charging Electric Bike Batteries

Iain55

I'm getting a couple of electric bike.
Looking for any advice on how to achieve this on and off EHU.
Cheers,
Iain.

Fairly straightforward if on EHU - just plug in to any 3 pin socket using a small extension lead if needed to allow charging outside van.

If off EHU, I just use inverter to charge one battery at a time -using solar panel or when travelling using alternator.

Our bikes are around 13 years old and on second batteries.

Hope this helps.
Alan

Fairly straightforward if on EHU - just plug in to any 3 pin socket using a small extension lead if needed to allow charging outside van.

If off EHU, I just use inverter to charge one battery at a time -using solar panel or when travelling using alternator.

Our bikes are around 13 years old and on second batteries.

Hope this helps.
Alan
I hope this isn’t a stupid questions and please excuse my ignorance, but are you saying you switch on your inverter to provide 240 power while driving? And does that mean you aren’t depleting your leisure batteries because the alternator is recharging them as you drive.

I hope this isn’t a stupid questions and please excuse my ignorance, but are you saying you switch on your inverter to provide 240 power while driving? And does that mean you aren’t depleting your leisure batteries because the alternator is recharging them as you drive.
That’s right.

Confirmed. I use the inverter when travelling to charge bike batteries, laptop, vacuum cleaner, slow cooker and anything else that needs 240v.
It is a 600w bought at a car boot for £4 about 8 years ago so good value. Also used it in Europe to power spin drier which caused some strange looks on aires with no electric.

Check with Wisper bikes. They make a 12v charger for their bikes which can probably be adapted to other batteries. Obviously slower than 240v but a good alternative.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back