Charging mobility scooter

We put a inverter in to charge scooter batteries while we where on the move I thought as long as engine was running it would charge and not drain the liesure battery have not tried it yet but was hoping to soon

It might be worth getting the full details off the battery in the scooter , and then contacting someone like Battery megastore , as they will be able to tell you the max charge rate for the battery . You will then be able to get a suitable 220v charger and run that from inverter , either from a suitable battery bank , which is being replenished from solar , or whilst engine running . If you dont have enough solar to cope with the charge rate , then a bigger battery bank would be needed or more solar . I hope that all makes sense to you when read :)

If batteries are like ours and in a ‘pack’ I suspect the 5amp fuse and circuit breaker may be the limiting factor. I can charge via 12v when travelling or harvesting solar but it’s winter that can be a problem potentially. Anyone that needs to use it a lot each day will need it charging overnight which is where the problem comes in.

I think very interesting question . The safest option is an inverter and use the mains charger supplied . This will undoubtedly work but I can imagine it will be slow . If connected to a battery which is not disconnected by the ignition (through a cigarette lighter socket ) you could fit a voltage sensing relay to switch off at 11V and protect your leisure batteries . I suspect you could fit a higher rate charger but you need to know details on the battery . The likelihood is that the mains charger is designed for slow charging and boost charging requires careful management of the charge profile .

Sorry basically I'm agreeing with RV2MAX you need details on the batteries to make any decisions on improving the charge ratio above the standard mains charger output

We have a pride scooter, we use the charger that came with it via an 800w pure sine inverter. We have 200w of solar and 2 100ahr leisure batteries which cope if the sun is shining, though we try to charge while we’re on the move.

I've been doing a bit of scouring and found this which is probably a suitable profile
https://cellpacksolutions.co.uk/wp-...max-battery-chargers-technical-data-sheet.pdf.
So Mastodon what is the approximate time to charge from flat ? I can find a host of different current mobility chargers but the charge time is related to the current capacity of the charger and the battery capacity to absorb current .
Around 3-4 hrs from flat. *checks label* 24v 11.5ahr 276w lithium polymer.

Interesting Lithium is usually so much better at absorbing and I guess that is reflected when compared to Terry4156's partial recharge . I'm a bit of a battery geek and I'm surprised your charger is not a bit more powerful/quicker but it still compares well to gel or agm charging

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back