Charging mobility scooter

TissyD

I have a 150 watt solar panel on the van and I was wondering if it will charge my mobility scooter batteries.

12 v charges on eBay ,CIG lighter plug but I would remove and use crocodile clips .charges 24 v scooter batteries very low output so will take a Long time to charge .

They are probably connected in series, meaning you need 24V. Check the data plate on the charger perhaps?

What is the amph of the scooter batteries you want to charge ,ours is 2 x12 v x12 amp , scooter batteries can much bigger than than ours .

Hi I have a gogo elite traveler mobility scooter 24v 20amh I charge via inverter in van 2x110 amh batteries 2 x 100w solar takes around 4 hours to charge with limited use

Thnka for the replies. Our solar charger is 12/24 volt. I fitted an invertor a couple of years ago but it drained the battery too quick so I took it off again.

I have a GoGo Elite Traveller with 2 x 17ah batteries and I got a 12v charger for it. I left it on the cigar lighter plug but fitted 30amp sockets direct to leisure batteries for it, got a kit of wildebus on here.

It is a slow charge though so you are really best putting it on whenever you have solar and not using. Beware though I forgot to unplug mine one day and took batteries lower than I wanted. I always make sure I charge fully whenever I get any 240v. I will be getting a generator for next winter though

I used to run a small 12 v coolbox only when the engine was running ,the CIG and plug socket used to get very hot so now I am very cautious about what I plug in .

I have a GoGo Elite Traveller with 2 x 17ah batteries and I got a 12v charger for it. I left it on the cigar lighter plug but fitted 30amp sockets direct to leisure batteries for it, got a kit of wildebus on here.

It is a slow charge though so you are really best putting it on whenever you have solar and not using. Beware though I forgot to unplug mine one day and took batteries lower than I wanted. I always make sure I charge fully whenever I get any 240v. I will be getting a generator for next winter though
When you get a generator will you get a bigger charger to cut down on running time our supplied charger is only 2amps it can take about 10 hours to fully charge . have you seen the screw fix pure sine wave 700 w about £180 . and very light .Bazz

When you get a generator will you get a bigger charger to cut down on running time our supplied charger is only 2amps it can take about 10 hours to fully charge . have you seen the screw fix pure sine wave 700 w about £180 . and very light .Bazz
Not looked yet Baz but I think I can run mains charger direct from generator when I run it to charge batteries but it will depend on outlets. I know ours is a very low power charger and it takes an overnight charge to fill batteries. I normally wait til it’s flat though so I can improve by regular charging.

I will do some experimenting this year with my 12v charger when I am harvesting solar though if I can remember lol need to use handcycle more but scooter good for emptying cassette, getting water and walking dogs so will still be used

Not looked yet Baz but I think I can run mains charger direct from generator when I run it to charge batteries but it will depend on outlets. I know ours is a very low power charger and it takes an overnight charge to fill batteries. I normally wait til it’s flat . Quote !! have to agree Neil charging from a standard charger would take ages ,mine is only 2 amps .I have a 6 amp charger at home .would that charge 3 x faster . or do more harm than good ? Baz.

I don’t know Baz, I suppose it would depend on what batteries you have. I remember some of the trike guys fitted sealed gel batteries that were from mob scooters or golf carts and a couple of them blew up on them. That was at alternator charge though. They want £190 if I wanted to replace mine so I will be looking at it when the time comes lol

Is the limit to charging more down the the battery rather than the charger? A small battery can usually only take a certain amount of current and getting a bigger charger could end up making virtually no difference.
I would think running a generator to charge a scooter battery would be very inefficient? Best charging them by sucking the power from the main bank and boosting that from the generator at the much faster rate I would have thought.

Is the limit to charging more down the the battery rather than the charger? A small battery can usually only take a certain amount of current and getting a bigger charger could end up making virtually no difference.
I would think running a generator to charge a scooter battery would be very inefficient? Best charging them by sucking the power from the main bank and boosting that from the generator at the much faster rate I would have thought.
I would only have it charging direct while topping up battery bank Dave, dont suppose it makes any difference really, I wouldn’t run generator to just top up scooter unless it was a real emergency.
I don’t know what or even if there is a restriction on charging the batteries as I have never opened up the casing to have a look what they are, I can’t remember the voltage it runs at offhand and everything is in the van so can’t check.

Think I will send an email to manufacturers asking if they can be charged faster. Will post back here if/when I get a reply as I am sure it may help others :)

I have emailed Pride Mobility to see what they say, all I can find for battery spec is deep cycle batteries. The owners manual download shows the batteries wired in series but the charge socket has a 5amp fuse as well as a circuit breaker. Am I right in thinking this fuse will stop faster charging?

This doesn’t look promising for faster charging, they say 8 to 14 hours https://www.pride-mobility.co.uk/pu...eries_OM_Rev_B_Oct17_4916_-_Without_Spine.pdf

Will update when I get a reply anyway

Last edited:
Got a reply this morning so got me it looks like I am stuck with long time low charge rate. May be different for others if the have different setup though:

Thank you for your email dated 09th February 2019 regarding charging your scooter.

Unfortunately we can only recommend you use the Pride Mobility charger that came with the scooter as this has been tested and conforms to the British Health and safety requirements. We don’t manufacture an alternative charger for this scooter.

Apologies we aren’t able to assist further.

Yours Sincerely

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back