Chausson Towing Limits

PaulR

Free Member

I'm looking for info on the towing limits for Chausson motorhomes (630, 640 and 588) built on the Ford with the 170BHP either auto or man (hopefully both)
I know the towbars have 30kg limit which I assume is nose weight (as it does not say) if anyone could please tell me what is on the V5 that would be brilliant. I have asked two dealers and have no real answer and emailed Chausson - no answer at all.

Thanks in anticipation.

I'm looking for info on the towing limits for Chausson motorhomes (630, 640 and 588) built on the Ford with the 170BHP either auto or man (hopefully both)
I know the towbars have 30kg limit which I assume is nose weight (as it does not say) if anyone could please tell me what is on the V5 that would be brilliant. I have asked two dealers and have no real answer and emailed Chausson - no answer at all.

Thanks in anticipation.
The VIN plate should give you a good stating point. From that, you will have the vehicles GVW (something like 3500 on the plate), the front and rear axles (together they will add up to a bit more than the GVW usually), and the last number will be the GTW - maximum weight of Van plus trailer.
If someone is genuinely interested in selling you a vehicle, they should be able to check for you.
Word of caution ... the numbers could vary depending on the vehicle manufacturing date. for example, my Fiat Based Autotrail had a standard towing limit of 2500kg, but the identical model on the fiat chassis the next year was over a tonne less. So you need to be very specific and confirm the actual vehicle you are looking at is suitable for your requirements.

(30kg is a very low nose weight I think? 75Kg is about the minimum I have ever seen myself).

The VIN plate should give you a good stating point. From that, you will have the vehicles GVW (something like 3500 on the plate), the front and rear axles (together they will add up to a bit more than the GVW usually), and the last number will be the GTW - maximum weight of Van plus trailer.
If someone is genuinely interested in selling you a vehicle, they should be able to check for you.
Word of caution ... the numbers could vary depending on the vehicle manufacturing date. for example, my Fiat Based Autotrail had a standard towing limit of 2500kg, but the identical model on the fiat chassis the next year was over a tonne less. So you need to be very specific and confirm the actual vehicle you are looking at is suitable for your requirements.

(30kg is a very low nose weight I think? 75Kg is about the minimum I have ever seen myself).
At the riskof Fred Drift, David, I'm sure that some Skodas Fabia?] have/had noseweight limits of 50kg

Steve

Sorry my mistake, I have looked at so many pdf's in 2019 it was 96Kg and in the 2020 data sheet its 60kg but no actual towing limit?

I used to tow, and as a rule a 3500kg van can tow up to 2000kg if it is a 4 wheel braked trailer giving a gross train weight of 5500kg

Thanks for that Pudsey, that covers the max, but if the V5 has less on it, I will still be illegal & maybe invalid the warranty if any chassis faults develop. I liked the Chausson but maybe easier I give them up.

Look on the bonnet slam panel, or perhaps the door frame, there will be front axle weight, rear axle weight and Gross train weight, also look around for any up plating sticker such as from SV tech etc, this pretty much says what it can do, the only other thing is if a previous owner has had it up plated to say 3850kg and sold it and the next owner has had it down plated, it will have two effective limits and you just choose which you prefer and inform DVLA as they are the stated limits and they have to comply with those.

I was looking in fair detail at the Autotrail tech brochures when sorting out a weight increase for my Motorhome and found some interesting info in the process ... And although this is for Autotrail, given that other Motorhome makers use the same base vehicles and components, it is likely to be relevant to other makes?

The Gross Train Weight on many models dropped from MY2007 to MY2008 despite using the same base vehicle. maybe Fiat changed something or just changed the recommendation?
A model with an Alko Chassis would seem to be much more limited in their towing ability with either 1000 or 1200Kg - and that seems to be a hard limit. Often there is an assumption that any weight not used in the towing vehicle can be added to the trailer as long as the total GTW is not exceeded, but that is not true of Alko chassis (at least with Autotrails!).

Last edited:
Look on the bonnet slam panel, or perhaps the door frame, there will be front axle weight, rear axle weight and Gross train weight, also look around for any up plating sticker such as from SV tech etc, this pretty much says what it can do, the only other thing is if a previous owner has had it up plated to say 3850kg and sold it and the next owner has had it down plated, it will have two effective limits and you just choose which you prefer and inform DVLA as they are the stated limits and they have to comply with those.
If updated above 3500 and then downplated, it can be more than a matter of just choosing which you prefer. Your driving license might have something to say on the matter ;)

I was looking in fair detail at the Autotrail tech brochures when sorting out a weight increase for my Motorhome and found some interesting info in the process ... And although this is for Autotrail, given that other Motorhome makers use the same base vehicles and components, it is likely to be relevant to other makes?

The Gross Train Weight on many models dropped from 2007 to 2008 despite using the same base vehicle. maybe Fiat changed something or just changed the recommendation?
A model with an Alko Chassis would seem to be much more limited in their towing ability with either 1000 or 1200Kg - and that seems to be a hard limit. Often there is an assumption that any weight not used in the towing vehicle can be added to the trailer as long as the total GTW is not exceeded, but that is not true of Alko chassis (at least with Autotrails!).
Hmm, what some builders did also was to move from the maxi 3.5t chassis to 3.3t which of course changes things, so again the weight on the vans data plate is the governing factor.

If updated above 3500 and then downplated, it can be more than a matter of just choosing which you prefer. Your driving license might have something to say on the matter ;)
Yes sorry, I goofed there and forgot to say it's all licence dependant, I passed before 97 so had the grandad rights and I forget some peeps didn't

I did look at the Bailey Adamo range, then found it is built on the Ford Transit skeletal chassis. This his has a zero towing limit, so no debate.
It's much easier to be up front. :)

I did look at the Bailey Adamo range, then found it is built on the Ford Transit skeletal chassis. This his has a zero towing limit, so no debate.
I have been watching Bob Ernshaws review and testing of the Adamo 75-4i. Apparently it is now capable of towing on the Ford Base, but a very limited 750kg, so just a "camping" trailer I guess? no use if you want to tow a car behind you.

I bet they don't make a big thing out of it in the bumph.

Hmm, what some builders did also was to move from the maxi 3.5t chassis to 3.3t which of course changes things, so again the weight on the vans data plate is the governing factor.
It won’t work anyway will it, legally? My van has two plates and the one in force is the uprated plate. Won’t matter if I get stopped and tell copper I am using the original lighter weight to allow me to carry a heavier trailer loading as on V5 van is 4t and you cant transfer unused payload to towing weight can you?

I think what you mean is quite different to what the OP is asking, but I've been wrong before according to Liz.

I am only saying basically that if it has two weight plates the V5 can show either after contacting DVLA, and if he has the right licence he can drive it, each plate will have the allowed towing weight on it, so you are ruled by that.

If stopped I assume the Rozzers have the DVLA database and will check to see what it's registered as and act accordingly.

I understood that the latest Plate was the definitive version; which would make sense, given that the converter/manufacturer will have added fixtures and fittings that will affect the vehicle weight

Steve

I understood that the latest Plate was the definitive version; which would make sense, given that the converter/manufacturer will have added fixtures and fittings that will affect the vehicle weight

Steve
Yes but you can revert to the original on application to DVLA Steve, it's a bit more complicated than uprating, but I've done it, I had a 3850 Bessie and was selling it via Motorhome Depot (never again) and they said it would sell better as a 3.5t PITA to do, in fact it was easier for me to get Liz to do as I had other stuff going on at the time.

A bit here about it.

Yes but you can revert to the original on application to DVLA Steve, it's a bit more complicated than uprating, but I've done it, I had a 3850 Bessie and was selling it via Motorhome Depot (never again) and they said it would sell better as a 3.5t PITA to do, in fact it was easier for me to get Liz to do as I had other stuff going on at the time.

A bit here about it.

Thanks, Kev. Another bit of knowledge to file away in a cobweb filled corner of the memory ... (y) I could become the Michael Caine of the Motorhome world ... ''Ere, did you know you can downrate a vehicle plate? Now, not a lot of people know that ...' :giggle:

Steve

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back