Checking The Mass Of Your Motorhome..........

Checking The Mass Of Your Motorhome..........

........... could be problematic if you want to get it done here in sunny Hertfordshire.
Over the years the public weighbridges around here seem to have progressively disappeared so more recently when getting the Palermo serviced I ask the MOT test operative (is that p.c.?) to check the mass of each axle whilst the Moho is on the rolling road. generally I'm around so he pauses whilst I make a note but he's happy to provide a handwritten note if not.

It's free and I find reassuring! I hope this helps someone out there.

Colin (Smiley face, Smiley face, Smiley face)

Also, if you have a cement works or a sand quarry or large industrial company eg chemical works, steel works etc. they usually have a weighbridge and may well help you out too.

Full Member;n3050 said:
........... could be problematic if you want to get it done here in sunny Hertfordshire.
Over the years the public weighbridges around here seem to have progressively disappeared so more recently when getting the Palermo serviced I ask the MOT test operative (is that p.c.?) to check the mass of each axle whilst the Moho is on the rolling road. generally I'm around so he pauses whilst I make a note but he's happy to provide a handwritten note if not.

It's free and I find reassuring! I hope this helps someone out there.

Yes it gave me a shock when the Winnebago weighed in at 8,200kg at mot time lol
Mine came on the brake test print out he gave me but this was at a big commercial garage with modern equipment.

*****;n3069 said:
The thing that comes to mind is that when any of us take a van for MOT, it is not likely to be completely empty or completely full, and don't forget passengers, pets and everything has to be included!

That's a good point Graham. I tend to make a mental note of what mine has in it - which is pretty much everything since I don't unload the thing when returning home. Generally mine is half full of fuel, half full of water and has one person in it (!).

I find the whole weight thing a bit scary as mine has been up plated to 38750 so if I'm overweight with my trike what can I do must get it weighed for peace of mind

I use our local council run quarry at Inchmarlo. They have a weighbridge with the weight displayed on a LED display so no need to go inside to get the results. I use it for front and rear axle weights as well as overall weight and the best part - it’s free!

I decided to weigh our old Talbot. Looked around and found that the Council partners in Wellingborough (Norse) have just installed a weighbridge. They are happy for anyone to take a vehicle there for weighing as long as they have an appointment. Cost me £18 for front and rear axle weights. We were well under. I had a full tank of diesel, full water, full Gaslow and everything we take away for a three week holiday. The only thing missing was my good lady. (55kg of gorgeousness!). Total weight of 2.52 tonnes. Not bad for a van with an all up allowance of 3.2 tonnes. One of the reasons we haven't updated to a newer van.

Most large builders merchants have a weight bridge for charging aggregate. My local one does it for free if I don’t want a printed ticket, and £4.00 per ticket if I want print outs of weight and axles.

Robmac;n5316 said:
I have one of those. I have checked it against a weighbridge and there was only a few Kg difference.

I am quite willing to bring it to any meets and in fact I have weighed other members vehicles before.

That's a very generous offer, Rob. Please take it along and gauge interest - as well as gauging mass!
I for one would appreciate a second opinion on the mass of my white box.

Colin ???

Thanks Colin.

I will make sure it is in the van for any meets I attend. I also keep 3 blocks the same depth as the machine. This allows me to place a block under 3 wheels and the machine under the fourth and then rotate around the van to weigh each wheel. (If you see what I mean!).

This ensures that the van is level at all times when being weighed and no pivotal forces are coming into play, as well as fuel, water etc. sloshing to one side.

Terribly explained I'm afraid, but hopefully you will get the picture!

Campervanannie;n3083 said:
I find the whole weight thing a bit scary as mine has been up plated to 38750 so if I'm overweight with my trike what can I do must get it weighed for peace of mind

Been looking into it myself, Annie. There's a council one in BD4

Robmac;n5331 said:
Thanks Colin.

I will make sure it is in the van for any meets I attend. I also keep 3 blocks the same depth as the machine. This allows me to place a block under 3 wheels and the machine under the fourth and then rotate around the van to weigh each wheel. (If you see what I mean!).

This ensures that the van is level at all times when being weighed and no pivotal forces are coming into play, as well as fuel, water etc. sloshing to one side.

That could go down really well at a meet. Maybe have donations for weighing and make it the first Motorhomer.com charity donation.

Campervanannie;n3083 said:

Don't worry about it you are not a commercial vehicle the fine is peanuts.
As far as I understand they give you a 10 percent leeway so I have never worried about it .

Robmac;n5331 said:
Thanks Colin.

On the contrary your explanation is very clear - and I probably wouldn't have thought of being so thorough.
I'm confident that your mass check will provide very useful and eye-opening information for most members of WC and MH.
Thanks again, Rob.

Colin ???

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back