Claim for damage caused by delaminated tyre

Webby

A tyre on the motorhome delaminated and caused a lot of damage to the front panels and engine covers (I reckon around £2000)

I am thinking of making a claim but I wonder if comprehensive insurance would cover such damage (not to the tyre I know)

I don't want to notify them about it and probably increase premiums if there is no chance of them paying.

Anyone claimed in similar circumstances

Was it a dedicated motorhome tyre or just a van one ..would have thought you may have problems if not a motorhome spec ...

i claimed for damage done when i went into a bollard . SAGA paid out 5 grand to fix the bodywork . my premium went up by £15 ,but i negotiated them down £ 50 ,saving £35 . not saying you should or shouldn't , but that's my story

After having been stood up for the last few months without being moved I suspect there will be a lot of tyre problems when vans get used again.

Thanks for that....................but my real question and concern is whether insurance will pay out in the circumstances I describe.
If the view is that it is not covered then I will not tell them...............otherwise I might find an insurance loading without actually receiving any compensation. Thanks for all comments and information

I’d be surprised if insurance paid out as it’s not an accident but a mechanical failure. If for example the engine was wrecked by a belt failure that would not be covered by insurance, and a tyre failure would fall into the same category.

I suspect they will argue it's your fault for not inflating it correctly or something. You could have a go at the tyre manufacturer, but I wouldn't hold my breath!

When I used to have a car breakers yard, I would buy many cars off the insurance companies for dismantling, I would also buy slightly less damaged cars for selling on as damaged repairable, I would also sometimes end up with caravans, and one of the main things that caravans would come in for was damage from wheels coming off or blown tyres.that had been paid out for by the insurance companies.
I see what 2cv is saying about a timing belt breaking and blowing up the engine.
But a tyre blowing out can happen at anytime, and not just down to poor maintenance you pay insurance for fire theft and damage to your vehicle.

A tyre on the motorhome delaminated and caused a lot of damage to the front panels and engine covers (I reckon around £2000)

I am thinking of making a claim but I wonder if comprehensive insurance would cover such damage (not to the tyre I know)

I don't want to notify them about it and probably increase premiums if there is no chance of them paying.

Is that you Pete?

I hope you are well.

Graham

PS You only get an allocation of free posts as a Free Member - unless that has changed??? - so probably best not to reply directly and waste one :)

The resultant damage should be covered but not the failing item , but different with ab engine where it’s an inevitable consequence I think you’ll find.

Have you checked the age of the tyre? Was it inflated to its recommended pressure? If it is within its recommended service life, you might be ok to claim. If the tyre is quite new, maybe you could contact the manufacturer, or whoever fitted the tyres.

I had a tyre delaminate and blow out. Contacted insurance and they said not covered, if I had caused damage by colliding with something/someone then they would pay for that. Further they said for instance if your engine blew you would not expect insurance to pay for that.

Probably the best ones to ask are your insurance company...
Not all policies are made equal (even from the same company)

Appreciate you don't want to speak to them BUT no one else WILL know.

Probably the best ones to ask are your insurance company...
Not all policies are made equal (even from the same company)

Appreciate you don't want to speak to them BUT no one else WILL know.
. If you tell the insurance company they will register it as a claim whether or not they pay out. They tried to do this to me. The only reason I got out of it was me continually pointing out to them I had to do all the leg work whilst they kept getting all the details wrong and kept writing to my father as the main driver not me. I had to call them four times point that out. I threatened legal action if the marked a claim against my name. They dropped it and I got an written apology.

. If you tell the insurance company they will register it as a claim whether or not they pay out. They tried to do this to me. The only reason I got out of it was me continually pointing out to them I had to do all the leg work whilst they kept getting all the details wrong and kept writing to my father as the main driver not me. I had to call them four times point that out. I threatened legal action if the marked a claim against my name. They dropped it and I got an written apology.

I fully understand that BUT the only people that can answer the original question IS the insurance company....
It's their policy (or more usually their underwriters)
Anyone else is just guessing as policies/exclusions/conditions vary so much... Even between policies from the same company.

Why not contact them to check as you have heard it’s not covered by someone else’s experience and you would like it covered yourself? If it is then claim.

I would think insurance claim would not be a problem ,Get a quote for repairs it may not be as much as you think .in the long term could be cheaper than an insurance claim .

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back