Cleaning out the tank and pipes.

DocMartin

What can I sterilize my water system with? Can't get Milton - it' hasn't been available here in Tesco or Superdrug for a long time now.

Just did mine in Murky. Had half a litre of Milton’s left. Ran it through every where and left it over night. Drained out this morning whilst saving some to wipe down the hard surfaces. Shame if I can’t replace it.

This bloke used to do them and still may well do...

...or at least may be able to point you in the right directiion.

Available on Ebay....

If its a single 500ml bottle you want this is the cheapest on Ebay...

For more than one bottle then this may be cheaper...

Just did mine in Murky. Had half a litre of Milton’s left. Ran it through every where and left it over night. Drained out this morning whilst saving some to wipe down the hard surfaces. Shame if I can’t replace it.

Could you advise how you did it? Did you dilute it first?

Its something I need to do.

ta

Truma boilers/combis have stainless steel water jackets, which is why Truma advise against using chlorine based products for fresh water system purification. Milton contains chlorine.

I didn't know that, thanks.

What do they suggest instead?

try savers shops, got some monday , and used on my m/home ,ok.pj. behind your neck as well. ok.

I gather using MILTON Sterilising Fluid is a much better idea than using the tablets you can buy in caravan accessory shops?

Is it purley just a "cleaning out" fluid rather than an additive?

Last edited:
Could you advise how you did it? Did you dilute it first?

Its something I need to do.

ta
Neat Milton’s will attack stainless. My stainless water tank is about three to four hundred litres. Milton’s in first followed by the water. As you can work out half a litre is very diluted. Even still it’s better not to leave it in more than a day. Over the years plenty has been poured into stainless sinks without problems. If in a hurry I drain it and refill with fresh water. You can still smell it in the water, but it’s ok to drink.
Btw tap water has choline added to it. The last tap in the line must have a certain percentage by law.

I think the dilution of citric or acetic acid would have to be above 5 to 10% to have an effect. Even then I expect many things will survive.

It is possible that the many reports of damage from Milton are due to strong concentrations being used, but Truma do advise against its use and offer several alternatives.

I use baby equipment sterilising tablets from supermarket. Diluted and left, but just to clean system. Not to sterilise the water itself.

Thanks all

I also discovered this...

You can get 400gms here for 8 quid...

In terms of process and in order to clean the pipes as well, I was thinking:-

- Mix up a concentrated amount enough to clean the fresh water tank and pout into fresh water tank.
- Fill tank via hose to dilute to appropriate dilution within the tank.
- Mix another smaller amount in my watering can and pour in : a) to cleanse e watering can b) by pouring that in it will cleanse the internal filler pipe that feeds the tank.
- Leave for the recommended time.
- Run all the newly cleansed fresh water through all the cold and hot taps and shower in order to cleanse the pipes/taps.
- Run into grey water tank and leave it in there for a while to get any some cleansing effect on the grey tank (less worried about that)
- Rinse through with fresh water to remove residue/smell/taste etc.

Does this sound like the right way to go about things?

Thanks

Milton is fine if you dilute it according to the instructions on the bottle.

The biggest problem is a build up of scale in the boiler. Citric acid is a good method for descaling but don't expect miracles if badly affected. You can tell that some descaling has occurred as you will get some scale coming out of the hot water taps when yo run the water afterwards.

I ordered a 400mg pack of Puriclean which should suffice for 2 cleans of mine. I think £ for £ there's nothing in it so I went with the stuff that is 100% safe for stainless steel.

Can anyone advise if my suggested steps are correct as I've not done it before.

ta

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back