Coffee Pod Machines

Aldi do some nice coffee beans the price is right and there’s a good assortment.

First result in Google.uk for me. Possibly there are cheaper ones?

I reckon your Delonghi is one with a smaller portafilter? Maybe 50mm (I think that's the size they start at). In Australia that's about the sub $700 area. Not sure about the UK. If you go for the ones that use a 58mm (again, that's from memory) I think they're the ones that use around 18 gms. I think that's a measurement of the internal diameter. That's near or actual commercial size, so with a decent machine, grinder and technique you can do a cup that's the equal of any fancy coffee place and better than 90% of places you'll buy one. It's a sod though because you become very critical of any you buy. It's not that hard to male a decent cup if you have decent machinery, but you do need to know how and concentrate, which most cafes don't. It's a bit like watching a TV that's smaller than yours if you buy a big screen. Just doesn't cut it :)

If I ever want to improve my decaf black coffee I put a large slug of scotch into it.

I like a slug of Baileys in my black coffee. :) (Not decaf though, has to be the real deal).

If the powers that be wanted us all to spend 2 - 300 squid on a machine to brew coffee they wouldn't have allowed Nescafe to do all the hard work for us. I like my coffee flat and black, don't understand what frothing it all up is about, and what's crema mean?

I have a kettle and use instant coffee - just as good and a lot cheaper ;)
Yes I agree with that , love instant, secret mix of Lidls instant coffee in a cup add the cold milk, pour on the boiled water, SIMPLES, we have just about every coffee making machine ever made but still love the instant , did you know that you can refill standard coffee pods yourself [ see U TUBE ] or you can buy refillable pods on line, too much faffing about for me although I tried it, hee hee.:D:D

Yes I agree with that , love instant, secret mix of Lidls instant coffee in a cup add the cold milk, pour on the boiled water, SIMPLES, we have just about every coffee making machine ever made but still love the instant , did you know that you can refill standard coffee pods yourself [ see U TUBE ] or you can buy refillable pods on line, too much faffing about for me although I tried it, hee hee.:D:D
Add the cold milk and THEN with the hot water? interesting. I think I have done that accidently and the coffee granules tended to not defuse (?) properly? might try that again next time I have a coffee (been around 2 weeks so due for another ;) )

Add the cold milk and THEN with the hot water? interesting. I think I have done that accidently and the coffee granules tended to not defuse (?) properly? might try that again next time I have a coffee (been around 2 weeks so due for another ;) )
Never with the secret Lidl mix hee hee. How is it possible to go 2 weeks without coffee ? 20 cups a day for me !

Err ... it was the CX-25 that cost £300. The cheapest I could find it was £292.78 + £4.71 delivery on Amazon -- I suspect that anyone considering the Bellman would be grateful for a link to someone selling it for £129.
I couldn't find one for £129.00 either, only this one at £79.99 ;)

Edit: Sorry I didn't see the link had already been added earlier :oops:

Regards,
Del

Err ... it was the CX-25 that cost £300. The cheapest I could find it was £292.78 + £4.71 delivery on Amazon -- I suspect that anyone considering the Bellman would be grateful for a link to someone selling it for £129.

Edited to write: FWIW, I've just measured how much coffee my De Longhi domestic espresso maker takes in its 'double shot' portafilter: 11 g. So it's no wonder the strength of a shot from the Staresso is close to that from the De Longhi.

Your wish is my command - enter the CX- 25 for a lot less that any of the prices you are quoting !!
How about £89 ?????

Anyone used the Wacaco Nanopress or Minipress as another alternative ?37A4C563-5A35-4B73-A53D-CF655CAD7BDF.jpeg

we use a Philips Senseo that uses coffee pads (like tea bags but coffee) when off grid we use a inverter brill for us as we drink our coffee black

I reckon your Delonghi is one with a smaller portafilter? Maybe 50mm (I think that's the size they start at). In Australia that's about the sub $700 area. Not sure about the UK. If you go for the ones that use a 58mm (again, that's from memory) I think they're the ones that use around 18 gms. I think that's a measurement of the internal diameter. That's near or actual commercial size, so with a decent machine, grinder and technique you can do a cup that's the equal of any fancy coffee place and better than 90% of places you'll buy one. It's a sod though because you become very critical of any you buy. It's not that hard to male a decent cup if you have decent machinery, but you do need to know how and concentrate, which most cafes don't. It's a bit like watching a TV that's smaller than yours if you buy a big screen. Just doesn't cut it :)
Just for completeness, I eventually got round to measuring how much coffee goes into my Staresso; and got a surprise as the same scales as I used to measure how much goes into the DeLonghi showed 13g. My 'recipe' for a flat white is two shots of espresso topped up with hot milk, so each flat white uses 26g of coffee in the Staresso. The DeLonghi uses a few grammes less.

FWIW, I have a half-decent grinder (with ceramic burrs), so each shot is extracted from freshly ground coffee of the right coarseness for the particular machine. (In the motorhome, I have to pre-grind it sometimes days in advance :( ). My DeLonghi is sub-AU$500 (an ECC 221) and uses pressurised portafilters -- so not professional grade. Also, the steam wand is one of those that has a black plastic nozzle, so it's never going to give me proper microfoam. That said, I can make better-tasting coffee IMO with either machine than many cafés manage -- and you're correct, becoming a de-facto coffee snob is a curse; so much so that I drink tea in any café that doesn't have a decent-looking machine and someone who looks like they know how to use it as it's so much harder to murder tea than coffee!

BTW, in a way I wish that I'd known of the Bellman before buying the Staresso because I'd probably have gone for that. It seems a bargain at £80.

LN_016827_BP_11.jpg
Time is of the essence when we are away, so this stuff hits the spot for us...
A heaped teaspoon
Half a spoon of sugar ( coz I am not hard)
Espresso cup half full of boiling water
Quick stir
Roberts yer fathers brother.
K ;)

Too complicated :)
I go for this around once a fortnight....
iu
+
5010115910014.jpg
+
iu
=
iu

Not long ago if you ordered a coffee you were asked do want black or white .now the coffee list is as long as the food menu.

Not long ago if you ordered a coffee you were asked do want black or white .now the coffee list is as long as the food menu.
I'm sure it puts lots of people off actually getting a coffee! I like the McDonalds advert where they kind of take the pee out of this.

It's a bit like draught beer, when I was young it was bitter, mild or lager now it takes longer asking which is which than to drink it lol

Regards,
Del

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back