Confusing signs

Campervanannie

C5EC53F5-1D8F-488A-BE7E-7259E42C348E.jpeg
Ok so here is the ? Does this sign mean you cannot park between the beginning of March to the end of October
OR
The end of March to the beginning of October.

I’d say no parking from march to Oct between 9-6 ?
Yes but is that inclusive of the 2 months mentioned or the end of March to the beginning of October, ? read the question young man.

I would think the FULLmonth of March and thr FULL month of Oct ,is this what you are asking ?
Or am I thick ,now just you watch it mrs!

No parking .
From mar 1st
Till October1st.
From 9 am till 6pm.

So you can park from 6pm .till 8.59 am
I'd take it as end of Mar to start of Oct ....... but then I'm usually wrong :(:unsure:
Well you are both confirming what I thought and what a traffic warden told us last week when we were here with Colin however yesterday I had a Southend on Sea penalty notice on my van yesterday but I am challenging it as it’s confusing and should say inc on the sign and if I fail then £35 for 5 nights camping not bad it’s actually cheaper than going to some meets ??

So is it the full months of March and Oct?
Your answer is not very clear for us lesser persons when you say both have cleared it up when there are other rep,ies
Can you clarify
Thank you v m

I would have said the intention was that BOTH March and October in full would be prohibited, but it is not clear at all so you are quite right to challenge the ticket and cannot imagine you will not get the ticket cancelled.

I wonder if any councils ever show their proposed signs to the general public to check they make full sense and are unambiguous?

So is it the full months of March and Oct?
Your answer is not very clear for us lesser persons when you say both have cleared it up when there are other rep,ies
Can you clarify
Thank you v m
The two I have quoted are what I thought and the traffic warden last week thought, the one that’s on duty this weekend thinks it’s inclusive hence the parking fine.

Usual caveats: I am not a lawyer and anything below is my opinion only and worth exactly what you paid for it: i.e. nothing ...

That sign is so poorly written. It's not only the dates that are ambiguous, but the times also. The most restrictive interpretation could be "No parking at any time from 00:01 on March 1st to 23:59 on Oct 31st and no parking between 09:00 and 18:00 outside that period". The least restrictive interpretation could be "No parking between 09:00 and 18:00 on any day from April 1st to September 30th" (i.e. from the end of March to the beginning of October).

That said, I suspect that the sign itself might not be in accordance with TSRGD -- and if it's not then the parking restrictions are not enforceable. Take a look at the TSRGD 2016 document, page 81 onward. In the table of symbols and variants, I could not find an arrow among the permitted variations. However, in the TSRGD manual (which is guidance and not law), many parking restriction sign examples have arrows. Take a look at page 51 of that document, which shows a sign similar to yours except the dates are 1 May to 30 Sept (i.e. unambiguous). The previous page, para 6.32 states:
A restriction always applies at all times unless qualified by an indication that it applies only at specific dates or times. It will lead to confusion, and undermine understanding of restrictions signed according to this convention, if expressions like “Mon-Sun” are used. Similarly, restrictions apply on public holidays unless signs specifically indicate that they do not.
So the guidance given to traffic regulators about those signs implies that there is an issue with your sign that "undermines understanding" and I suspect you are entitled to interpret the sign as meaning "from some time in March to the beginning of October" and hence have a good chance for appeal. HTH, Geoff

Maybe you were the wrong side of the arrow Annie :ROFLMAO:
I'd have seen it as no parking between those hours from the beginning of March until the beginning of October. There's enough confusion for even 2 traffic wardens to interpret it differently, so I think you've got a good case (y) Good luck m'dear.

See them in court. If the sign is wrong, you've saved £35, and spent money on fuel, time and parking. If the sign is correct, pay the fine, then appeal. Solicitors are cheap.
Don't hit me, I've only typed this for credits:censored: I want the TomTom

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back