convenience foods

trevskoda;n10880 said:
Should be called watery gravy pies cos thats alls in them,any one cought with these should be jailed under the geneva convention.

I used to love them.

Can't bring myself to eat them anymore.

trevskoda;n10880 said:
Should be called watery gravy pies cos thats alls in them,any one cought with these should be jailed under the geneva convention.

Thought the thread was for convenience food not `a la carte!`

Last edited:
We have often found mashed potatoes to be a bit of a mare to do in the van, (steam, cooking time etc.) so my thoughts turned to instant mash.

I used to use smash when tent camping, but it's not great, so I looked at other brands. The other day, Julie picked up a packet of this stuff;

Idahoan Classic Mash 180G - Tesco Groceries

Prepared in 1 minute, and it really is surprisingly good. It comes in various flavours, although we have only tried the original. I have to say, if I hadn't already been aware, I wouldn't have known it was instant.

It will be a great item to keep in the van. Anybody else tried it?

Robmac;n20684 said:
We have often found mashed potatoes to be a bit of a mare to do in the van, (steam, cooking time etc.) so my thoughts turned to instant mash.

I used to use smash when tent camping, but it's not great, so I looked at other brands. The other day, Julie picked up a packet of this stuff;

Idahoan Classic Mash 180G - Tesco Groceries

Prepared in 1 minute, and it really is surprisingly good. It comes in various flavours, although we have only tried the original. I have to say, if I hadn't already been aware, I wouldn't have known it was instant.

It will be a great item to keep in the van. Anybody else tried it?

Yes and if you add a chicken stock cube to the hot water you use to mix with the mash; you get a wonderful tasty mash- no chicken flavour just tastier mash! I usually add a knob of butter to it as well.

I keep a pack of gnocchi in the fridge, shelf life of about 6 weeks but you can find long life which happily keeps in the cupboard. Only needs one minute in boiling water. Lovely with fried tomatoes and chopped mozzarella. Sainsbury’s do easy cook pasta which has a much shorter cooking time. The packs of cooked rice are very versatile, put rice in a pan with lid, add quarter cup of water and steam. At start of cooking throw in some bed, spinach, broccoli or mange tout ( veg that don’t need a long cook time) place fish on top of all this and cover and steam

silverweed;n20855 said:
I keep a pack of gnocchi in the fridge, shelf life of about 6 weeks but you can find long life which happily keeps in the cupboard. Only needs one minute in boiling water. Lovely with fried tomatoes and chopped mozzarella. Sainsbury’s do easy cook pasta which has a much shorter cooking time. The packs of cooked rice are very versatile, put rice in a pan with lid, add quarter cup of water and steam. At start of cooking throw in some bed, spinach, broccoli or mange tout ( veg that don’t need a long cook time) place fish on top of all this and cover and steam

Gnocchi is a good idea. Can you translate " bed" for me? Assume autocorrect special but cannot think what?

Rec;n20882 said:
Gnocchi is a good idea. Can you translate " bed" for me? Assume autocorrect special but cannot think what?

I was thinking throw in some VEG?

Gallo risotto... Ready in just a few minutes and quite passable as t comes, but better if you can grate some Parmesan cheese into it.

always have a coule in store.

K ?

Heads up - don't know if it's regional. Lidl taste of Greece on today. A slab of big Greek beans heading my way :) Right at the start of my 36 Hour juice fast Doh!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back