Cordless Air Pump Resurrection

wildebus

I have a Cordless Outwell "Tornado" that I bought back in 2010 (photo below)
41JjUIBDpQL.jpg

It has not had that much use over the years but been pretty good until last year when it tended to die very quickly. They are not that pricey at around £25 and manual claims the usual "no user repairable parts", but being a cheap bugger I thought I would have a little look.

Removing the 5 standard philips screws and pulling off a sticky label showed it just used a fairly standard 6V SLA Battery

Old 6V Battery
by David, on Flickr

Having a little look on Amazon showed a wide choice of replacements. I decide on a Yuasa branded Battery at just under £11 with postage

New 6V Battery
by David, on Flickr

Connections were cut off the old battery and resoldered onto the new, cover replaced and pump now back to good as new. The Capacity is quoted as 4Ah on the Yuasa whereas the old Power Kingdom was 5Ah, so 20% lower - but the batteries are identical technology and sizes so I think maybe the true capacities are the same?

Just thought I would post this in case anyone else has the same (or similar) cordless air pump stuffed in the back of the cupboard as it doesn't work anymore, as it is a nice easy repair and less then half the price of buying a replacement pump.

This sort of thing is getting popular now, with little repair clubs popping up. Great, because I don't like throwing things away :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back