Coronovirus, Non essential travel, SORN & Insurance?

Picket

As we are advised only to travel when absolutely necessary motorhoming must be deemed as non- essential. My van has been SORN'd since November, mot expired in December, but fully insured. My insurance company are fully aware of this & said I was still fully covered. My insurance is due for renewal next month. My van will not be going anywhere, until responsibly allowed otherwise. My question is this: my risk to the insurance company is greatly reduced so shouldn't my premium be reduced accordingly?

Trotter

With the speed the good people at DVLA work , best of luck getting a SORN on your vehicle, this side of the next pandemic.🙄

Picket

With the speed the good people at DVLA work , best of luck getting a SORN on your vehicle, this side of the next pandemic.🙄
My van is already SORN'd, has been since November. Can we please try to be a little more constructive?, government departments will be under pressure but we are all in this together. Personally in my experience the DVLA have always been very efficient, still others may beg to differ.

wildebus

My van is already SORN'd, has been since November. Can we please try to be a little more constructive?, government departments will be under pressure but we are all in this together. Personally in my experience the DVLA have always been very efficient, still others may beg to differ.
Well, a SORN process is automated so doesn't rely on human intervention to change the status. I guess a refund payment could take a bit longer than usual, but doesn't stop it being "SORNed". (FWIW, I pay on a month DD basis so any SORN declaration would just result in no more payments rather than any refund. Makes life easier and more flexible for the small extra cost)
As far as the DVLA go, I also have found the department efficient in all but one dealings with them.

Picket

You may be able to apply for fire and theft only I.e. no driving.
That is possibly the route, no pun intended, I will take, after clarification with my Insurers. They have been very helpful in the past so don't see any major issues.

Reactions: 2cv

highlandron

I've just dug out my V5 with the intention of SORN. If I do this now, and as I pay by DD, I'm assuming they wont take payment on 1st Apr and thereafter. When I put the van back on the road the DD, having already been in place will continue then as normal. I'm probably answering all my own questions here but having never had the need before to apply and previously always payed annually.

Millie Master

It's about the only good thing that the DVLA are good at! The SORN process on line is instant as is also the immediacy of doing the new tax on line. It is an excellent service and I use it quite often with my vehicles.

Trotter

With the speed the good people at DVLA work , best of luck getting a SORN on your vehicle. , this side of the next pandemic.🙄
It’s when human beings get involved, it becomes difficult. Try getting a LGV C1 license through on time when working as an agency driver. Luckily, I was working for one company, and they accepted I did in fact have a licence from May until September . Like trying to knit fog.

witzend

Don,t forget if SORN,ed your vehicle has to be off road

Picket

It’s when human beings get involved, it becomes difficult. Try getting a LGV C1 license through on time when working as an agency driver. Luckily, I was working for one company, and they accepted I did in fact have a licence from May until September . Like trying to knit fog.
This is going a bit off topic now. The subject is coronvirus, non essential travel, sorn & insurance not the short comings of the DVLA. Let us try & keep a positive spin on things during these difficult times, 🤘

witzend

This is going a bit off topic now. The subject is coronvirus, non essential travel, sorn & insurance not the short comings of the DVLA. Let us try & keep a positive spin on things during these difficult times, 🤘
Thats only on the border of off topic SORN is handled by DVLA see some of the other threads if you really want off topic

maingate

As we are advised only to travel when absolutely necessary motorhoming must be deemed as non- essential. My van has been SORN'd since November, mot expired in December, but fully insured. My insurance company are fully aware of this & said I was still fully covered. My insurance is due for renewal next month. My van will not be going anywhere, until responsibly allowed otherwise. My question is this: my risk to the insurance company is greatly reduced so shouldn't my premium be reduced accordingly?
Short answer .... NO.

Third Party Insurance costs about the same as Fully Comp and has done for a long time.

bobj808

Good post! I taxed my Chausson for a year last month and after seeing this, did an online SORN application which was straightforward. Says the refund (11 months) will be paid in 6 weeks, no rush, not going anywhere. Glad I keep the mh under my car port at the end of a longish driveway. Be able to reverse it out to the end and have a cup I'm keeping it inured as it's only £200 pa. Bob

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:201)

2cv, highlandron, wildebus, Undertaker, Wooie1958, Wully, Steveandjulie, vanda, Greengrass, Edina, HurricaneSmith, Jenrai, St3v3, Val54, TJBi, jagmanx, tapfitter, shortcircuit, Trotter, pj650, GreggBear, andysm, Budgie, UFO, Ardachaidh, TeamRienza, mendit, clarkpeacock, xsilvergs, 47643, Caz, number14, jason9876, Roy Laura, Bouydog, Millie Master, SimonM, moonshadow, paulhelenwilko, tonybvi, Tezza33, DaveAdele, Tidewatcher, saxonborg, nutts, nabsim, yorkslass, mariesnowgoose, Forresbroons, Trek, ton27, Tribute11, Full Member, s4x4c, Julesanian, ramblefrog, RoadTrek Boy, Stevie, Molly 3, Linda, witzend, trevskoda, The laird, pondhoppers, isnbill, Silver sprinter, Bounce, linkshouse, Lee, Old Man Down, ploppy, maingate, Winks, gillypoof, Ellendale, Stonedaddy, Fifer, frankii, PIRRH, Wighttyne, Fiona68, grantandmargie, AdriaTwin, Nomad, Strollerbird, Dennis, Benylin, WingNut, Meloc8, bampi, Nosmo king, Mobilvetta, mossypossy, flying kipper, Aly1, Carrotts, Weels, Allen, Bandit, wesaaron, RDC, Vanterrier, Ginfearsdad, skippy, rustydog, timatabsa, bobj808, Kennyb, Martin P, Elfish, sydnsue, Nil, THE COLLIES, FERENZA, beedubbleyoo, MOJO, vtwinner, CavityandLacey, Yorkscol, Northumborman, forthpilot, tripper, Sherry, cronkle, Dex, jsvan, Silew, Amudle, Skiptonian, alun100, tannerrocklands, rambrose, SNODGRASS, Kraken, Cuthbert, VWann, silverweed, Neodafyd, andyfm, Carrerasax, Diddlydun, Escape2020, ric, Barge1914, peejay, Livotlout, Ted, V1nny, Chris Evans001, guerdeval, royh28, in h, runnach, Davety, lifeafloat, Thehawk, beerollmandy, Veloman, old cronies, Cie, dochiley, saxonrosie, walpeter, bjh, Rdodds4647, Biggarmac, 955itriple, Lefty107, Greytop, Hughendon, Campervanannie, PeteS, Trigger, sunrisemac, Dell, swift64, DnK, big tom, katv, kevlakes, loulou, Haaamster, Nowego, Mark135, shabbins, dickydo, Markd, HermanHymer, dogsbarker, Johndavies, Val, gerrevelyn, Alan01704, johndoris, nomis64, steve strange, German Shepherd Dog, Bigshug, TinTentDucato, Captain Haddock, El radge,