Coronovirus, Non essential travel, SORN & Insurance?

wildebus

Yesterday - Got my car MOTed (needed to be done by 31st March)
Today - ALL UK car owners granted six-month exemption from MOT tests

Oh well, at least I know it is safe!

This will apply to all Class 4 and Class 7 vehicles I understand, so all Motor Caravans of any weight will have this 6 month exemption.

I was going to get the Camper MOTed in a few weeks but not going to bother now as little point, and so will also do a SORN in a few days as won't be driving to the MOT Station next month (or anywhere else until maybe June at the soonest)

Last edited:

in h

With the speed the good people at DVLA work , best of luck getting a SORN on your vehicle, this side of the next pandemic.🙄
The people at DVLA had the good sense to make it an instant, automatic process that you can do yourself. They were thinking ahead.

Greytop

If I SORN my Motorhome for the next 3 months, which looks likely, my MOT runs out in early May. This means I will not be able to re-tax my Van until I have an MOT.
Am I right in thinking that you are able to legally drive to the MOT centre while not being taxed?

Edina

If I SORN my Motorhome for the next 3 months, which looks likely, my MOT runs out in early May. This means I will not be able to re-tax my Van until I have an MOT.
Am I right in thinking that you are able to legally drive to the MOT centre while not being taxed?
Yes if you have an appointment booked

Campervanannie

As we are advised only to travel when absolutely necessary motorhoming must be deemed as non- essential. My van has been SORN'd since November, mot expired in December, but fully insured. My insurance company are fully aware of this & said I was still fully covered. My insurance is due for renewal next month. My van will not be going anywhere, until responsibly allowed otherwise. My question is this: my risk to the insurance company is greatly reduced so shouldn't my premium be reduced accordingly?
Not necessarily a stationary motorhome gives burglar Bill a better chance of breaking in or stealing it maybe.

PeteS

From the 30 March mots have a 6 month extension so your vehicle wont need MOTing until October so it hopefully will be overby then and you will be able to retax it then get an Mot.

Trigger

With the speed the good people at DVLA work , best of luck getting a SORN on your vehicle, this side of the next pandemic.🙄
I scorned my van on line 2 days ago and had an immediate confirmation text saying it was done so what is the problem that you see? BE AWREE when sorning on line and be sure you are on a dot gov page as there are some site that try and charge you for the service. Official site is free. My insurance expires at the end of April I won't be re insuring either until I am sure I can use the van again. My van is as safe as I can make it behind locked gates in my garden so I am happy to leave it uninsured there.

Greytop

When you sorn your vehicle, just be careful if you simply do a google search as there are is one site, which I stumbled on that asks for a payment of £30. This is obviously a bogus site and avoid like the plague.

mariesnowgoose

I scorned my van on line 2 days ago and had an immediate confirmation text saying it was done so what is the problem that you see? BE AWREE when sorning on line and be sure you are on a dot gov page as there are some site that try and charge you for the service. Official site is free. My insurance expires at the end of April I won't be re insuring either until I am sure I can use the van again. My van is as safe as I can make it behind locked gates in my garden so I am happy to leave it uninsured there.
Aw, Del! After it's reliably taken you all the way to the continong and back. 😥
What a cruel owner you are! 😜

😁😁😁

shortcircuit

Thanks for that info. I have the App on my phone but have only very occasionally used it to pay bills. After a bit of footering about managed to at in cheque. Thanks again

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:201)

2cv, highlandron, wildebus, Undertaker, Wooie1958, Wully, Steveandjulie, vanda, Greengrass, Edina, HurricaneSmith, Jenrai, St3v3, Val54, TJBi, jagmanx, tapfitter, shortcircuit, Trotter, pj650, GreggBear, andysm, Budgie, UFO, Ardachaidh, TeamRienza, mendit, clarkpeacock, xsilvergs, 47643, Caz, number14, jason9876, Roy Laura, Bouydog, Millie Master, SimonM, moonshadow, paulhelenwilko, tonybvi, Tezza33, DaveAdele, Tidewatcher, saxonborg, nutts, nabsim, yorkslass, mariesnowgoose, Forresbroons, Trek, ton27, Tribute11, Full Member, s4x4c, Julesanian, ramblefrog, RoadTrek Boy, Stevie, Molly 3, Linda, witzend, trevskoda, The laird, pondhoppers, isnbill, Silver sprinter, Bounce, linkshouse, Lee, Old Man Down, ploppy, maingate, Winks, gillypoof, Ellendale, Stonedaddy, Fifer, frankii, PIRRH, Wighttyne, Fiona68, grantandmargie, AdriaTwin, Nomad, Strollerbird, Dennis, Benylin, WingNut, Meloc8, bampi, Nosmo king, Mobilvetta, mossypossy, flying kipper, Aly1, Carrotts, Weels, Allen, Bandit, wesaaron, RDC, Vanterrier, Ginfearsdad, skippy, rustydog, timatabsa, bobj808, Kennyb, Martin P, Elfish, sydnsue, Nil, THE COLLIES, FERENZA, beedubbleyoo, MOJO, vtwinner, CavityandLacey, Yorkscol, Northumborman, forthpilot, tripper, Sherry, cronkle, Dex, jsvan, Silew, Amudle, Skiptonian, alun100, tannerrocklands, rambrose, SNODGRASS, Kraken, Cuthbert, VWann, silverweed, Neodafyd, andyfm, Carrerasax, Diddlydun, Escape2020, ric, Barge1914, peejay, Livotlout, Ted, V1nny, Chris Evans001, guerdeval, royh28, in h, runnach, Davety, lifeafloat, Thehawk, beerollmandy, Veloman, old cronies, Cie, dochiley, saxonrosie, walpeter, bjh, Rdodds4647, Biggarmac, 955itriple, Lefty107, Greytop, Hughendon, Campervanannie, PeteS, Trigger, sunrisemac, Dell, swift64, DnK, big tom, katv, kevlakes, loulou, Haaamster, Nowego, Mark135, shabbins, dickydo, Markd, HermanHymer, dogsbarker, Johndavies, Val, gerrevelyn, Alan01704, johndoris, nomis64, steve strange, German Shepherd Dog, Bigshug, TinTentDucato, Captain Haddock, El radge,