Covid test back to UK

• Thread starter Deleted member 5467
  • Start date

Deleted member 5467

Hi can anyone tell me have they managed to navigate the new system for travelling to Spain? We are both double jabbed and have our covid pass QR codes from the nhs covid app. However Brittany ferries only offer info to get your test for leaving UK and the 2nd day u are in the UK. But no-one seems to know where you access the test 3 days before you get back on the boat in Spain. Where do you get tested in Spain? Where do you find out a reputable company to use in Spain and how do you send off your test when it’s done. All Brittany ferries say is your not getting back in the boat to Portsmouth without the negative test result.

Thank you no I haven’t looked into it that far yet. I am only going on this crossing due to the time on the boat bring much longer for Santander which was the one we used last time. Thank u for the link, pretty annoyed at the cost of it all £360 for us both for 2 days and entry to boat can’t help thinking someone is making a fortune out of this but price we will have to pay if we want to get away - Spain are happy we have been jabbed, Britain where we were jabbed still want tests, crazy. Do u know if u post ur test in a drop box cus if not we don’t want to have to stay around Bilbao for 3 days waiting to get test results to come home

There only just over a hours drive apart
What’s an hours drive apart? It’s not the drive but 1 day on Bilbao crossing and two on Santander. I know where Santander port is but not bilbao so any suggestions on where to stay in the van whilst waiting to board would help too. Have u been in this crossing then?

Another possibility is Vitoria-Gasteiz. There's an aire in the centre, in a very large car park, where we have stayed overnight on our way to Bilbao. There's a Covid Test Centre about 45 mins walk away. They say the turn around time is 24-48 hours. The Eurofins site, which has this on its list of centres, says they have an app which will give you the test result. So if you're boarding on Friday for example, get tested on Tuesday and go and do your thing and get your result on the app.

You can also overnight at the port, according to BF.

Last edited:
I seriously don’t know why they cannot have testing facilities at Saturzi, Bilbao ferry port
There is ample room in the port area
It would only need to be within easy walking distance once your parked up

What’s an hours drive apart? It’s not the drive but 1 day on Bilbao crossing and two on Santander. I know where Santander port is but not bilbao so any suggestions on where to stay in the van whilst waiting to board would help too. Have u been in this crossing then?
Santander to Portsmouth crossing time is not a (48hours) two day crossing, the time is around 30 hours on the new ship Galicia .
Portsmouth to Bilbao is route is shorter on the Cap Finestere at 24 hours but that will soon be longer when the other new ship Salamanca takes over the route
I should know I’ve both routes multiple times since 2010 .
And depending on your crossing time you can overnight at at the ferry port at Saturzi which is a few miles west of Bilbao where Brittany ferries sails from

Last edited:
It always used to be possible to overnight at Bilbao ferry port. We used to enjoy going into town on the transporter bridge.Contact the ferry company to see if still allowed

Another possibility is Vitoria-Gasteiz. There's an aire in the centre, in a very large car park, where we have stayed overnight on our way to Bilbao. There's a Covid Test Centre about 45 mins walk away. They say the turn around time is 24-48 hours. The Eurofins site, which has this on its list of centres, says they have an app which will give you the test result. So if you're boarding on Friday for example, get tested on Tuesday and go and do your thing and get your result on the app.

You can also overnight at the port, according to BF.
Thanks will look into this x

I seriously don’t know why they cannot have testing facilities at Saturzi, Bilbao ferry port
There is ample room in the port area
It would only need to be within easy walking distance once your parked up
Possibly because in case you fail the test they don't want you in the port area so you'll need to prove test results are negative to be allowed in to queue

Presumably a positive test taken at least 10 days before the sailing would also be sufficient. I know you cant get tested for around 6 months after as you will always show positive according to my nhs nurse daughter.

No I'm wrong you have to take a Lateral Flow test because they are less sensitive, again NHS staff are advised not to take Lateral flow tests as they will show positive for 3 months, bit of a quandary that?

fair comment , have to say I didn't even consider that
What if you fail the test how soon can you have another if your lucky enough to get away with just isolating and not end up in Hospital. I've had it suggested to me that after failing a test and having Covid you won't get a clear test for at least 3 weeks

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back