Cracked shower tray

UFO

Our 2009 Adria Twin PVC has a cracked shower tray. Noticed it just before we left home, we are on our way to Drum, Edinburgh meet.

I glued it but it is still leaking. Could be poor glueing or leaking from another place e.g. the drain.

Any ideas, apart from ripping the toilet / shower room apart and replacing the tray.

I'd get some silicone on it, for now, use it as little as possible and sort it when you get home.

I discovered a similar problem a couple of years ago while touring France. Temporary repairs with silicone sealant did not survive use of the shower.
I subsequently had my shower tray repaired by a local dealership that is a registered Speedcoat dealer/application centre. The repair included drilling in order to inject expanding foam to provide additional support to the shower tray (inadequate support being the underlying cause), stapling across large cracks, filling and application of Speedcoat. No problems during the subsequent 18 months. Speedcoat appear not to publicise details of their dealers on their website; it is necessary to submit an online form or phone for details. https://speedcoateuro.com/dealer-locator/

Ordinary silicone doesn't work to well on shower trays. For a temporary fix try CT1

I'd get some silicone on it, for now, use it as little as possible and sort it when you get home.
Try using Gorilla tape the heavy duty thick one ,used it on the old seals of my sun lounge ,works really well, will keep it leak proof until you can fix it properly, hope it solves your problem

I discovered a similar problem a couple of years ago while touring France. Temporary repairs with silicone sealant did not survive use of the shower.
I subsequently had my shower tray repaired by a local dealership that is a registered Speedcoat dealer/application centre. The repair included drilling in order to inject expanding foam to provide additional support to the shower tray (inadequate support being the underlying cause), stapling across large cracks, filling and application of Speedcoat. No problems during the subsequent 18 months. Speedcoat appear not to publicise details of their dealers on their website; it is necessary to submit an online form or phone for details. https://speedcoateuro.com/dealer-locator/

I guessing it’s an abs or the like vacuum forming. If so find a pvc inflatable repair kit. Use some of the vinyl in the kit as patch. It won’t look pretty, but should last a while due to it’s flexible

My van had a split in the shower tray was fixed by speedcoat not had a problem in nearly 5 years and was told it was guaranteed for 15 years.

Speedcoat sounds like a solution, thanks for the information.

In the meantime I have a variety of tapes that should solve the issue temporarily for the trip.

Speedcoat sounds like a solution, thanks for the information.

In the meantime I have a variety of tapes that should solve the issue temporarily for the trip.
Note it’s not cheap but well worth it mine is a wet room and the whole floor surface was done for around £450 it was done under guar@ntee which is why I don’t know the exact price.

I DIY'd my split shower tray. Drilled holes at each end of crack, to stop it spreading.
Drilled 4mm holes every few inches. Injected low expanding PU foam, leave set. Filled holes with a liquid plastic kit from America, via Amazon. Then two coats of anti slip PU paint for boat decking. Solid and leak free for three years. About £60 in total.

Our 2009 Adria Twin PVC has a cracked shower tray. Noticed it just before we left home, we are on our way to Drum, Edinburgh meet.

I glued it but it is still leaking. Could be poor glueing or leaking from another place e.g. the drain.
you could try the plastic weld that is used on sink wastes, i’ve used it on several plastics on my 23 Knaus motorhome i had a internal trim that snapped in half tried but could find a replacement so i put plastic weld into the joint and it worked

Starting to look at solutions for my cracked shower tray. Searching the internet I see that there are companies that repair domestic shower trays, but the plastic domestic ones are made from looks different to the CV one.

I also found this 'Caravan Care: How to Fix a Cracked Shower Tray'

In the notes it says 'Protectakote will adhere to acrylic and most other plastics but will not adhere to Polypropylene or Polyethylene'.

My question is what plastic is my shower tray made from? How do you identify different plastics?

It is most likely polypropylene, there is another on they use, but it escapes me right now.

I had some "professional" outfit come and do mine, I told him to do one as it was rubbish, so I did my own.

If it has ridges, they need to be supported, I drilled 10mm holes in the tops of the ridges at 100mm intervals (ish) and filled them with bathroom grade silicone and left it for two weeks to go off and become solid, make sure they sit slightly proud as most silicone do shrink, if it does add a little more to make it flat, it'll dry overnight so no big delay.

I didn't use protecktakote, I will see if I can find the stuff I used, and come back, might take me a little while or a few minutes.

Reactions: UFO
Farneded it, I knew I'd mentioned it on facts at the time.

The hardest part was making a neat job of the masking. I have a picture of the finished job somewhere, but I don't think I gave it a title. DUH.

and a link to the product if you'd rather not go to facts.

The only picture I have found so far, somehow they have got all mixed up in my Dropbox.

CI%20141%20Shower%20tray%20after%20my%20%20repair%202015-10-07%2011.24.33.jpg

Bookmark it as someone will need it at some point, and it does work, and as I used a light grey it had the benefit of making the bathroom two tone

Last edited:
Hi
My shower tray in our Autotrail motorhome had loads of fine stress cracks along the top edge and around the drain hole. I had already fitted new upvc panels to the walls so didn't want to replace the tray. I sprayed the tray with white Raptor paint which has sealed the tray and also made it look like new. It maybe the answer?

20210806_155342.jpg

Without decent pictures, it's a bit difficult to know how bad it is.

Starting to look at solutions for my cracked shower tray. Searching the internet I see that there are companies that repair domestic shower trays, but the plastic domestic ones are made from looks different to the CV one.

I also found this 'Caravan Care: How to Fix a Cracked Shower Tray'

In the notes it says 'Protectakote will adhere to acrylic and most other plastics but will not adhere to Polypropylene or Polyethylene'.

My question is what plastic is my shower tray made from? How do you identify different plastics?
Shower trays in static vans, caravans and motorhomes are typically made from acrylic capped ABS. The acrylic gives it a shiny hard finish but is relatively brittle so the abs, which is more flexible, adds strength. Both of these will usually take adhesives well.
Identifying plastics is difficult, even for me as a retired engineer. I usually make an inspired guess based on the job that a particular item is doing; eg. ABS is relatively expensive so will be used for a good quality moulding.
I'd make a small wager that your shower tray is neither Polypropylene nor Polyethylene. One reason for this is that sealants will not stick to them.

Photos of the shower tray cracks. Now need to decide which method to use.

20210721_161352.jpg20210721_161411.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back