Cracked tyres

Whenever i have new tyres fitted to either the motorhome or car i always insist that the DOT is put on the outside so it`s easy to check.

If the tyre fitter is reluctant to do this i walk away and use a fitter that will comply.

I once had a fitter say it doesn`t matter which way they go on and he puts them on which ever way he picks them up, i left.

Asymmetric tyres ( only used on the car ) have the DOT on the outside anyway so that`s ok, i never use directional tyres.
bear in mind that if directional tyres have the DOT code on the outside, then they MUST have the code on BOTH sides, as the outside on the left will be the inside on the right, and vice-versa.
Many tyres - those that have a tyre pattern that is designed to dispel water a certain way - have a specified OUTSIDE embossed on the tyre and there is only way way to fit those (wherever the DOT code may happen to be - never bothered to investiage it).
FWIW, my wheels could get fitted any way round so the outside one time could be the inside another so doesn't matter where the dot code is - 50/50 (well, 66/33) chance it is on the 'right' side).

Truth be told, wheels should be taken off and the tyres fully examined (on both sides) for damage and condition so it doesn't really matter which side the code is as it can be checked at that time if it was not noted when they were fitted.

Though Ozon and UV light can also cource cracking, it can also be because of overloading ( same is to low pressure for the weight on tyre.) , mostly on rear tyres on 3500kg max motorhomes
500kg overloading , and then totally on rear axle, unfortunally is nit a high exeption .

To let me calculate safe pressures for you, you need to give me real weight on tyres, and tire-specifications. Determining these weights is the most tricky part in this all.

If you have tires from Continental-group, you will find 2 pressures on sidewall, one behind service descriptions ( fi 112R 69 psi) , and a 10 psi higher on the opposite side, behind maxloadstory ( fi 79 psi) . Also CP - tyres give often only second mentioned pressure.

You then can and are allowed to use this to cover overloading to the maxload of tyre, though tyremaker does not allow this higher then given maxload.

I bought 2 tyres from tyre bay dublin which were new but with winter ice studs,i removed and fitted them only to have one which shifted the bands and wobbled the steering from left to right,so of they came and binned one,the other is now a spare.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back