Creating Storage Systems

wildebus

A major use of 3D printers seems to be printing storage containers. Alexander Chappel (ALCH) is a major person in the world of Youtube in this area and another guy called Zach kind of took ALCH's setup and from it created an opensource system called 'Gridfinity' which has a lot of cool features.
I've been working on sorting out my storage of bits and pieces, but I want a system I can carry around securely rather then use in a fixed location, and based on the same boxes I use as toolboxes (the DeWalt/Stanley Organisers) such as the example below

DeWalt Shallow Organiser
by David, on Flickr

Browsing Thingiverse, I already found some great models and have used some for Ferrule storage - some examples below:

Bin Inserts
by David, on Flickr

But needed more compartmentalisation and labelling of various parts that all tend to blend together ....
The starting point, which is the case I am using and the bins supplied in the box

The Bins!
by David, on Flickr

The alternate bins I have printed to use. These include a little ledge which can be written on or a label affixed to identify the contents

3D Printed Bins
by David, on Flickr
There are a variety here which in the combinations allow a single provided bin to be swapped for bins that give between 2 and 6 separate compartments and I also adapted a few for a bit of extra adaptabiluty.

This is what I want to organise and consolidate

Screw Boxes
by David, on Flickr

And what I have ended up with

Screws Sorted!
by David, on Flickr

Used this case away from the workshop a couple of days after completing this and found it much better than going through the different boxes looking for a suitable screw, plus when the lid is closed and latched, very secure from spills and mixing.
I have kept just the one original bin (bottom right corner) where I have some long 100mm screws, plus some other 'oversized' screws. For this bin I printed a simple divider for some extra separation

3D printing is huge!
Yes, I agree, printing off storage containers is one of the many thousands of uses 3D printing has to offer, especially when you can print off the exact size you need.
This hobby of mine has become something of an obsession. If I could take it away in the motorhome; I would! But somehow I think the wife would have something to say about that!

3D printing is huge!
Yes, I agree, printing off storage containers is one of the many thousands of uses 3D printing has to offer, especially when you can print off the exact size you need.
I heard a comment on a video along the lines of "a 3D printer not printing is a waste" ... mine must be running at least 50% of the time.
At the moment I am printing off a little Vallejo dropper bottle 'caddy' so I can keep a set of paints together when I go from one bench to another, and a basin drain insert to fill in a hole where I changed the type of plug from a pop-up to a standard plug.

This hobby of mine has become something of an obsession. If I could take it away in the motorhome; I would! But somehow I think the wife would have something to say about that!
One of the things that really appealed to me about the Tina 2 is its portability. I intend to build a transportation case so I can safely carry it in the motorhome :) It also uses 12V power so I can ditch the transformer and just run direct from the (regulated) motorhome battery (y)

I heard a comment on a video along the lines of "a 3D printer not printing is a waste" ... mine must be running at least 50% of the time.
At the moment I am printing off a little Vallejo dropper bottle 'caddy' so I can keep a set of paints together when I go from one bench to another, and a basin drain insert to fill in a hole where I changed the type of plug from a pop-up to a standard plug.

One of the things that really appealed to me about the Tina 2 is its portability. I intend to build a transportation case so I can safely carry it in the motorhome :) It also uses 12V power so I can ditch the transformer and just run direct from the (regulated) motorhome battery (y)
Well it’s certainly getting some good use .
And for items that you need. Me I still cannot even think of a use for anything I do .

Holder is printed

3D Vallejo Holder
by David, on Flickr

Simple thing but actually I think will be really handy as usually take a few selected paints from the one bench to my desk where I do the making and hand-painting
Added a few paints

Holder with Paints
by David, on Flickr

And can even be stored upside down (lots of people like to keep the paints upside down)

Holder with Paints inverted
by David, on Flickr

3D printing is huge!
Or 3D print a made to measure container for her, to show how much you love her ... And then ask the Consultant how long your hospital stay will be :ROFLMAO:

Steve (Failed Diplomat)

Holder is printed

3D Vallejo Holder by David, on Flickr

Simple thing but actually I think will be really handy as usually take a few selected paints from the one bench to my desk where I do the making and hand-painting
Added a few paints

Holder with Paints by David, on Flickr

And can even be stored upside down (lots of people like to keep the paints upside down)

Holder with Paints inverted by David, on Flickr
That would be ideal for some of the model makers paints .

That would be ideal for some of the model makers paints .
Yup. And you could resize the holders to suit different paint bottles. I might do a one that would woth on the little pots that tend to knock over easily. That could be very useful indeed :)

I've spent a fair bit on the Vallejo paint holders a fair time back (got storage for around 130 of them?!) and could potentially have saved a fair amount of money I think (but having said that, printing items in 3D is not always cheaper than buying the same item in a shop if it were available - unless it was a part from someone like Dometic of course!!)

Yup. And you could resize the holders to suit different paint bottles. I might do a one that would woth on the little pots that tend to knock over easily. That could be very useful indeed :)

I've spent a fair bit on the Vallejo paint holders a fair time back (got storage for around 130 of them?!) and could potentially have saved a fair amount of money I think (but having said that, printing items in 3D is not always cheaper than buying the same item in a shop if it were available - unless it was a part from someone like Dometic of course!!)
And of course there will be parts that can not be bought . But invented..

A slight hijack.
I have discussed printer etc with the ever helpful "wildebus"
Considering this but first a question...
generic-conical-shape.png I have plastic items such as this (Candle holder inserts)
I would like to duplicate them.
Clearly more detail needed but about 15mm tall and minimal taper (2mm)
Dimension D maybe 9mm Minimal thickness (unlike me as I am maximum thick on this topic)
So a 3d printable file needed
The base needs to be in place a simple circle

II seems to me the tapering might also be achieved by donut (torus) inserts to fit inside.
I believe they would be simply formed as part

Any ideas from the experts please
One further question could a batch of 4 be printed in one session

A slight hijack.
I have discussed printer etc with the ever helpful "wildebus"
Considering this but first a question...
View attachment 73047 I have plastic items such as this (Candle holder inserts)
I would like to duplicate them.
Clearly more detail needed but about 15mm tall and minimal taper (2mm)
Dimension D maybe 9mm Minimal thickness (unlike me as I am maximum thick on this topic)
So a 3d printable file needed
The base needs to be in place a simple circle

II seems to me the tapering might also be achieved by donut (torus) inserts to fit inside.
I believe they would be simply formed as part

Any ideas from the experts please
One further question could a batch of 4 be printed in one session
I can't tell you how to make the design, but I can comment on two questions ...

You should have very little trouble in the actual process of printing what is in effect a tapered cylinder
and you can print multiple ones by just adding the same file multiple times before doing the 'slicing'. I mentioned about a cartridge tube plug I printed? I used it yesterday and it was really good, so I am going to print some more - and becasuse they take up little room, going to print 5 at the same time ... This is the one file that I just copied 4 more times.
caulkplugx5.png
One comment about your specific item ... PLA - the most typical material - is not very heat resistant and if making a candle holder, you might need to do the actual print itself in a different material (maybe ABS? you'd need to check what is best and what the printer you are using can work with?)

Could be worth checking out the 3D 'respositories' to see what is about as well. I have noticed a lot of models are based on adapting other peoples work - I think this is seen as a good thing by the originators as their work is being appreicated :)
What you are wanting looks like you could maybe look at this as a starting point?
cylinder-pot_preview.webp

Hi again, pausing for now...BUT I have downloaded the CREALITY software which looks good.
Bought some aluminium cupcake holders which should help with the heat problem as they'll be used as inserts for the candle holders..
Loads of old plastic plumbing offcuts which will assist with the modelling process.

Back