Cruise control aftermarket

Pudsey Bear

With me now having knee and hip problems I was considering having cruise control fitted so I can move my leg about a bit more on longer trips but the price is seriously expensive fitted so not sure it's worth it.

I think it's a good move for you, I would love to have it on my van which is an easy fit on an inline drive train, what's the point of you keeping all the money you have when making things easy for yourself these days is making more sense.

My accountant disagrees and I'd have t fund it myself, pre 06 was a much cheaper fit and I did it in on a couple of vans.

I may look into it for my van/truck as the throttle low down is very jerky due to the pump cable to lever angle, but for long distances, it would be fab.

Can't you get a longerer one made and re-route it?

With me now having knee and hip problems I was considering having cruise control fitted so I can move my leg about a bit more on longer trips but the price is seriously expensive fitted so not sure it's worth it.

Well, some general comments ....

I bought a Cruise Control system from Conrad-Anderson back in 2007 for my RAV4. I put off getting it for quite a while due to the cost but bit the bullet and it was really good. Price wise it was around the same price then as it is now, so given 15 years later, that is not bad really, especially as the Gold Cruises are actually superior to the factory fitted ones.

Are there any factory-retro installs Cruise controls available that you are not aware of? Going back to the RAV4, later found out that everything was in place to just fit the OEM control stalk and have cruise that way! On another RAV I bought 10 years later of the same vintage, I bought a steering wheel with CC Stalk off eBay, then sold my original Wheel without CC Stalk. Cost a total of £20 to add CC.
On my 2008 VW T5, did a similar thing... Bought replacement stalk set from VW (about £100) and swapped the old 2-stalk set for the new 3-stalk set. Some fiddly wiring, some ECU reprogramming and cable routing and voilà. Factory Cruise Control for about £120 (needed a new clutch switch as well).

Maybe the Ducatos are pre-set for Cruise and just need the control stick? Seems to be the way with vehicles now.

I think the later ones maybe, I did similar on a Fiat Brava years ago, just got the stalk from the scrappers, and I needed a relay from Fiat, job done.

this video seems to say it is possible using parts from a 2011 Fiat Croma, but not sure I'm bendy enough to do it myself.

Turn on English subs in the settings.

Google translate works really well on the website below.

Last edited:
I ought to be ashamed, but I'm too brazen, to admit to having Cruise Control on Brunhilde, but never having used it! On motorways such as the M6 you're on and off the brakes so often, it becomes a proctological irritant, and in Frnace and Spain, it's relaxing but maintaining the constant speed, it does drink the diesel on climbs!

Using the manual throttle helps me to maintain concentration, and encourages the varying of the throttle setting. But I am happy to accept being in a minority of one :rolleyes:

Steve

Not a bad price .
With items such as this I work on a 4 or 5 year payback basis.
Depends on which roads you use most but worth another thunk !
Have appropriate words with your accountant or buy her something as well !
Could improve fuel economy..even 1% would help !

Think that is a reasonable price, it is a good option to have , I find it good to have - having problems with joints lately on a long journey, MPG from Stoke to Wales using M/Ways 36 mpg, Peugeot Boxer 2.2 Eldiss Accordo 2 berth. Chris.

I just don't think it's worth it to be honest there is very little to it and £200 to fit it is £66.66 per hour if he takes the three hours suggested.

I'll just have to suffer and pull over more often.

I ought to be ashamed, but I'm too brazen, to admit to having Cruise Control on Brunhilde, but never having used it! On motorways such as the M6 you're on and off the brakes so often, it becomes a proctological irritant, and in Frnace and Spain, it's relaxing but maintaining the constant speed, it does drink the diesel on climbs!

Using the manual throttle helps me to maintain concentration, and encourages the varying of the throttle setting. But I am happy to accept being in a minority of one :rolleyes:

Steve
You wastrel, I sometimes even use mine in town if traffic is flowing lol

I didn’t think that price was bad to be honest, I looked at fitting it on a vehicle quite a few years ago and seem to think it was £300 or so back then.

The ones I got for the 2.8jtds were only £80 ish, and took about an hour to fit.

I am guessing you think £67 is a high labour rate? knock off 20% for VAT and the company will be getting about £50 a hour to cover the fitter, the use of the premises, admin, etc, etc. Not a massive amount.
The cost might also be averaged to take account of different vehcile complexities. For example, fitting the VW T5 Cruise takes hours to fit and involves accessing fuse blocks fitted UNDER the Starter Battery in the Engine compartment (who thought fitting fuses and connections that require the removal of a starter battery a good idea?)/
If it is a simple fit, just do it yourself and save the £200? The one I got from Conrad-Anderson I fitted myself. I did call them for some help (user error due to reading instructions while lying upside down on the driving seat) and found them very helpful.

I think cruise control is very useful on a lot of out of town driving. Using the + and - controls, you can have a very smooth journey even on fairly twisty single carriage roads.
On the Motorway it is most useful as well.
I fitted mine in the RAV4 as used to have to drive 120 miles if going to the office and the accelerator pedal was just at that height that caused pain in the ankle after a while.

Just too rich for my blood David, I work out how long it would take me to work for the amount of the bill at the rates I would get paid and if it's more than double then unless I really need it then I do without it.

I'll just chuck a brick on the pedal and kick it off when I need to slow down :D:D

i have a bit of wood wedged between the seat and the pedal then kick it out when i want to slow down different lengths for different speeds

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back