Damp problem on back wall

Davepierson

Hi all you experts, looking for advice please. Have a small problem of 94% moisture reading on small section of the back wall on my bessacarr e560, believe the bike rack fixing was leaking, now resealed.
Have been told it will not dry out, so I am thinking cutting small panel out of rhe inside wall, dehumidifing and putting a vent grill over the cut out panel. Only thing I don't know is how easy it will be to remove the inner wall shell without damaging the sandwich layer of insulation or if there is a timber structure that might be saturated. Cannot find anything on you tube to help.
Any thoughts please thanks

It should dry out but very slowly ,you can blow warm air from a fan heater to speed it up .a dehumidifier close to damp patch is a good idea .their should be a wooden brace behind rack fitting that is wet and needs to dry

Last edited:
Thanks Molly will give it a go. My habitation check man advised just sell the van with discount and drove away, will not be getting my business again

I had a leak repaired about 12 months ago damp readings are about normal now , i had a leak on a new van done under warrenty they used a fan heater ,

suggest remove the bike rack during very warm weather if you are not using van then will dry through the original fixing holes also if you can get van into some covered area then use de humidifier close to said holes

Thanks Peter, tried getting bike rack off but couldn't without causing damage to bodywork.
Have peeled of a square of the wallpaper to expose rhe inner wood wall and dehumidifing seems to be going well. Will put a an air grill to cover the missing square of wallpaper and let continue to dry out.

Thanks Peter, tried getting bike rack off but couldn't without causing damage to bodywork.
Have peeled of a square of the wallpaper to expose rhe inner wood wall and dehumidifing seems to be going well. Will put a an air grill to cover the missing square of wallpaper and let continue to dry out.
Hi Dave, I know this is an old thread but I have an e560 with damp in the same area (33% on meter) did you manage to get it dry doing what you said?
Alan

Hi Dave, I know this is an old thread but I have an e560 with damp in the same area (33% on meter) did you manage to get it dry doing what you said?
Alan
Hi Alan
Damp was so extensive (93%) I'd have had to strip whole back wall, so sold it to dealer, didn't lose too much at the time because of short supply.

I had a leak on bback panel when i first built my van, so ripped of all wood and insulation, found the weeping leak and sealed with grp on inside and silicone on the outside, new wood in and job sorted, now dry as a preist on a sunday morning.

Hi Alan
Damp was so extensive (93%) I'd have had to strip whole back wall, so sold it to dealer, didn't lose too much at the time because of short supply.
That's a shame. 93% is extremely wet, hopefully mine isn't as bad so think I'll strip the small area away and have a look. It's only 33% immediately surrounding the bolts, a couple of inches away It's below 15% so might be lucky. Thanks for the quick reply.

Hi Alan
That's a shame. 93% is extremely wet, hopefully mine isn't as bad so think I'll strip the small area away and have a look. It's only 33% immediately surrounding the bolts, a couple of inches away It's below 15% so might be lucky. Thanks for
I had a leak on bback panel when i first built my van, so ripped of all wood and insulation, found the weeping leak and sealed with grp on inside and silicone on the outside, new wood in and job sorted, now dry as a preist on a sunday morning.
Lol, yeah I'll see what's what by cutting out a small section of inner paneling and seal around the outside brackets with CT1. And drag the house dehumidifier out to the motorhome for a while. Cheers

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back