Dash Cam

Jeanette

Could anyone tell me if this is any good before buying it please any advice is greatly appreciated not sure if this is in the right place if not I apologise now!

41FA1405-C876-486A-B1A7-961EA4B12B49.png

We still need to get one, but don’t want to spend much, so also interested in views. Quite like to be able to move it between car and Motorhome.

1 How long does the battery last whilst in use
2 How long to recharge .
My thoughts are use wires to power it whilst in use during the day.
If the answers to 1+2 are OK Then the "no wires" may suit.
I think I paid about £25 at Maplin plus card

Last edited:
Get one with a hard wire kit if possible, (Mini 0806 for instance) get one for each vehicle, they are cheap enough and that way you can't forget to bring it with you, also turn off the speed sensor, unless of course you never ever speed. it has been known for vids to be used and cause the driver to be at fault because they were speeding

It is the mount that is wired and not the dash cam, that gets it`s power once connected to the mount like the Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D.

3 things immediately show up in reviews.

1, The " up to 0.5 hour / 30 minutes " battery life is very optimistic. 2, The image quality is poor. 3, It doesn`t come with a SD card.

Not a lot you can do about 1 and 2 but 3 is easily sorted with buying the largest SD card ( 32GB class 10 ) it will take.

It is the mount that is wired and not the dash cam, that gets it`s power once connected to the mount like the Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D.

3 things immediately show up in reviews.

1, The " up to 0.5 hour / 30 minutes " battery life is very optimistic. 2, The image quality is poor. 3, It doesn`t come with a SD card.

Not a lot you can do about 1 and 2 but 3 is easily sorted with buying the largest SD card ( 32GB class 10 ) it will take.

You could do a lot about 1 & 2 by not buying it :D :D

Best advice is to got to tech radar and search.

You very often " get what you pay for " as they say with items like this.

I have a Transcend DrivePro 220 bought on offer at Halfords, not cheap at £109 but not overly expensive in my mind.

It comes with fantastic image quality, day, date, time, longitude, latitude and speed on the video as well.

It came with a Transcend 16GB SDHC MLC card but that only gives approx 2 hour footage before it overwrites itself.

That would mean if there is any footage i want to keep i would need to sort it out at lunchtime or put another card in.

I bought a Transcend 64GB SDXC MLC card which gives over 8 hours footage before it overwrites itself so i could review footage in the evening.

One other thing that isn`t obvious is that you need to format the SD card in the dashcam first then download the latest firmware from Transcends website and install it on the SD card then install it on the dashcam to make it work properly.

For the first time, due to poor driving by others, I'm considering buying one, but remember to think about the Law.

Their use is restricted in Belgium, Germany and Switzerland, and I read that they're illegal in Portugal and Luxembourg with eye watering fines.

That is a good little dashcam. If it is for the motorhome, the windscreen looks cluttered if you also have a 7" Satnav fitted as well. You may be able to fit it behind the rear view mirror and run the cable behind the headlining.

I have the 102 model fitted in the car and the quality is very good. You do not have to spend big bucks on a dashcam. I have bought 3, the oldest is about 7 years old and still going strong. If you are a bit geeky you could spend a lot of money for one with GPS so you can track all your earlier trips and save them, I don't see the point myself. One tip for any dashcam, set it to go to sleep after a minute or two and the battery will last for years (having the screen working constantly depletes battery life).

Some more deals here at Halfords. https://www.halfords.com/technology...one_time&utm_campaign=FY19_WK35_BAU431_Active

We have Nextbase model 212 lite in the car and the bus, both perform very well, couldn't see the need for GPS or speed recording so it does us fine. Takes up to 128GB microSD card, so good if you want to play back your journey.

I think the best test of a dash cam is, can you read the number plate of a car travelling towards you at night if you play back the recording.
Lots of dash cams sound great but offer poor performance. Think why you would want one, if it’s ever used for evidential purposes, you want the best picture quality you can get, together with time and gps coordinates and incident detection. Any dash cam lacking one of those details isn’t worth seriously considering unless you just want to play back your recent trips when you get home.

Probably...........

I don't really see the need for co-ords, if there is an incident the location is easy to identify by viewing the video leading up to the incident. All dashcams I have owned have time stamped recording and g sensors. I agree about number plate reading and the resolution is more than adequate on most units, apart from the very cheap models which often advertise a higher resolution than the unit can provide.

I don't believe you are allowed to have the dash cam screen on when driving in the UK. Some makes turn off automatically after a couple of minutes

Not an option for you maybe but the Aguri Sat Nav I have comes with a built in dash cam. I dont use it, or haven't really so far except when I dont realise I have turned it on. Because of this I have only seen footage recorded in daylight and that is excellent.

I suppose the point of my post is for anyone who is looking for a motorhome sat nav and and also a dash cam it may be worth looking at combined units

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back