Dash camera for the motorhome

GMJ

Our dash cam decided to go on the blink on this trip so I'll be needing another. I'd like one that takes a small memory card for recording.

Does anyone have one? If so would you recommend?

TIA

I am aware that Ebay is full of them Trev but if you read my OP...

Our dash cam decided to go on the blink on this trip so I'll be needing another. I'd like one that takes a small memory card for recording.

TIA

I have the Mini 0806, which is a good one, but I can't speak for the newer versions.

• Thank You
Reactions: GMJ
I have a Nextbase NBDVR512GW with which I have been very satisfied; originally moved between fixed mounts in moho and car but the current car came with a Pioneer VREC-150MD, which has an additional input from a rear camera, so the Nextbase is now used only in the moho. I like the front and rear recording on the Pioneer (but like its menu system somewhat less as it's not very intuitive) and may investigate options for installation of a rear camera on the moho (which the Nextbase will support).

We have 3 nextbase units, all at least 5 years or more of age. They have been fine, although never been needed for evidence, so I don’t look at the footage.
One of them did require a new SD card a couple of years ago, and coincidentally the same unit has had a battery failure. It still works whilst plugged in and ignition on, but does not hold charge when disconnected.

Davy

We have 3 nextbase units, all at least 5 years or more of age. They have been fine, although never been needed for evidence, so I don’t look at the footage.
One of them did require a new SD card a couple of years ago, and coincidentally the same unit has had a battery failure. It still works whilst plugged in and ignition on, but does not hold charge when disconnected.

Davy
I have the same issue with battery not holding charge, but the only time that I try to operate it without an external power supply is when refitting it to the windscreen mount, which has to be tilted up to enable windscreen blinds to close. I normally like to check alignment when refitting and before starting engine; the internal battery often has enough power for this, but occasionally not.

TIA
Around 10 years ago or so there was a lot of talk on my forum (for RAV4s) about Dashcams, and we found the best source of advice was from a Youtuber called "Techmoan" who did loads of reviews - and the ones he liked were bought by quite a few forum members and they were all very happy with them (and actually one of the ones he recommended back then is the one I have fitted right now in my Motorhome as it happens).
This is a bit of video from that pretty old Dashcam from last October. See no reason to get anything better/newer?
(just looked - this was a camera bought in 2015 - https://amzn.to/43hZumi . Key Feature which was - and I am sure STILL key ... it has NO BATTERY. The batteries always used to cook and overheat on dashcams, and the better units had capacitors for power instead. far more reliable).

So basically, I would say that guy is worth watching to see what he recommends :)
And, as luck would have it, when I just searched youtube to find that 10 year old video from him to give you some pointers and ideas, I saw he has a 2024 Dashcam video out just 11 days ago! :D
I have not seen it yet as only just spotted it, but about to watch it to catch up. This is the one.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: GMJ
This is the one I have, I took this video the first time out just to test it, I've not seen many better.

They need to do two main things, a good wide angle lens, tick, and if paused be able to read number plates clearly, tick, and of course night vision needs to be good too, I don't have any but it was almost as good as daylight, the rest is stuff they all do such as speed and GPS location etc, not always a good idea as it could possibly be evidence of speeding, but check out the video.

It did have really good sound too but YT banned it so I deleted it.
I've spent yesterday and today looking for mine, but it's vanished as usual around here, or as we say here, it's been Lizzed :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So I've bought the latest version of it, thinking it might prove really handy in France.

Last edited:
This is the one I have, I took this video the first time out just to test it, I've not seen many better.

They need to do two main things, a good wide angle lens, tick, and if paused be able to read number plates clearly, tick, and of course night vision needs to be good too, I don't have any but it was almost as good as daylight, the rest is stuff they all do such as speed and GPS location etc, not always a good idea as it could possibly be evidence of speeding, but check out the video.

It did have really good sound too but YT banned it so I deleted it.

good resolution there (y)
I remember having a couple of the 0805 cameras. That was quite a common one and where the question of Battery vs Capacitors was a hot topic - some of the 805 models had batteries I think and would always fail after a short while and others had the capacitors and were good. (dredging the memory there - this was a topic of conversation over a decade ago :) )

Something to watch for which is (some) Motorhome specific - and delayed me fitting the Dashcam I had for ages after removing from another vehicle ... If you have Remis Blinds, the gap between the blinds and the windscreen can stop you fitting some cameras as you cannot close the blinds any more :( or you have to unmount the camera each time, which is a right pain. Mine is fitted really low down (like yours I think, Kev?) where the gap is largest and it just fits in (can't see the screen on it though!)

That was in the Kia Cee'd we had then, and yes I have remis blinds in the van too :( :( I think there may be more room at the bottom or I might be able to bend around it with it being so small, It'll be here tomorrow so I'll soon know.

Davy
Battery failure has always been the downside of Nextbase cameras. What you can do is gain access to the battery, get the number and buy a replacement battery online. It is a simple soldering job to change the battery (just 2 wires). For future peace of mind ALWAYS set up the Dashcam screen to turn off after a set time. I used to set mine to 1 minute. Using that feature, you should not have a battery failure.

Thanks for the info. I had done a bit of research at the time of failure into battery replacement. I concluded that since I only used it in situ with vehicle supplied power, I let it be.
Interestingly all of our nextbase units have always been programmed to switch off after a minute allowing time to confirm operation and alignment of camera direction. I guess I maybe just had a battery that wanted early retirement.

Davy

Davy
I don’t know if it’s just NextBase but apparently, they are well known for having crap batteries. My 3 all are useless after a few mins but, they work when they need to!
I have used them for evidence, several times…. 😏. I would like a better resolution on the images but hey ho, it is what it is…

One thing to remember is if you go for the HD settings it used a lot of data and that one on Amazon only takes a 32gb card.
I'm looking to change our 32gb card to 64 or even 128 as it only hold a few hours worth of HD recordings before recycling

I use next base 522gw on my car and recently purchased another for my motorhome. It was from next base refurb on ebay with 12 months warranty £99 .
It's easy to set up, rerecords over the sd card. Plus the screen saver mode is mph or kmph which is handy to get accurate 2nd opinion on the speedo.
Delivered free 2 days later and very happy with both mine.
I recommend them to you. 👍

Screenshot_20240320_073446_eBay.jpg

I was wondering if you'd found one you liked Graham, mine arrived on the 14th and as expected it fits really well with the Remis blinds as you only fit the dock onto the screen so you just undock it overnight.

User instructions below.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back