Dash Cams ?

Lorraine

Rally Organiser

Do you have a dash cam in your van ? what type is it and how easy is it to use ? . We don't have one but with the amount of dicks on the road , perhaps it is time to invest in one

I bought a really chepo one £14 had it a couple of years and is still good .no bells and whistle bit surprising good .I now have a sat Navy with built in camara .in some ways the cheapo is better. Problem with the sat Navy one is you have to remember to turn it on every time the engine is stopped ..

We have VIOFO A119s in cars and MH.
Occasionally format the cards on PCs and/or download a video to view as required.
I have just ordered one of those as recommended by Techmoan on Youtube who reviews loads of these and it was the one he uses himself, availble fowrwrards and a rearview second camera as well. I got the front only one for £79. with GPS as well on it in the base.

Next base cameras in both vehicles, had them for almost 2 years and no problems. With the T5 the lighter socket is always live so purchased a 'hard wire' kit and linked to fuse no19 which is ignition switched.

We have Nextbase on all our vehicles. A few months ago, my son, driving alone, was involved in a slight collision with his van. No witnesses and other driver had 2 passengers. All claimed it was his fault. Our insurance decided it would probably be treated as a 'knock for a knock' when he reported it to them by telephone. Our policy was due for renewal so it went up and he had to pay £350 excess while the claim was pending. However, we sent off the dashcam footage, got a refund on our premium and excess back. Worth it? You bet. Bob

1, Yes.

2, Transcend DrivePro 220. It only comes with a 16GB micro SDHC MLC card which gives approx 2 hours of footage before it overwrites so i bought a 64GB micro SDHC MLC card which gives approx 8 hours of footage before it overwrites.This means if there is footage i want to keep i can sort it out in the evening rather that having to do it at dinner so i don`t lose it.

3, Very easy to use.

as @Pudsey Bear also have a mini 0805 and it has been very reliable and very clear definition , easy read nu plates etc
it also has gps logging with speed etc record .

With the number of idiots on the road, yes we fitted a Nextbase 512 which we swap between car and van.
Its the only time the SD card gets formatted is during this change-over.
It was a almost a case of fit and forget.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have next base too, seems to work fine but so far haven't needed to do much with it, as I've a citroen relay I've removed the standard dashboard Satnav and the cam plugs into the wire provided, I use a iPhone for navigation.

as @Pudsey Bear also have a mini 0805 and it has been very reliable and very clear definition , easy read nu plates etc
it also has gps logging with speed etc record .

I was advised to turn speed logging off unless I was a saintly driver which sometimes I'm not, and if I had a collision over the speed limit where the camera would be useful to me would not be wise to use it.

Yes, I have the VIOFO A 119 with GPS, it has no battery but is capacitor driven. Use it all the time, you never know when Mr or Misses idiot is going to strike!

Do you have a dash cam in your van ? what type is it and how easy is it to use ? . We don't have one but with the amount of dicks on the road , perhaps it is time to invest in one
Yes, I got the cheapest Nextbase one £60, memory cards are extra. I got it hard wired into the fusebox ( kit extra) so I don't need to have a cigarette lighter cable dangling around. It has a five minute "loop" recording, if you have a bump the shock vibration automatically saves the current recording. If you get it at Halfords they will fit the hard wiring kit it took about 15mins.

I have a thinkware f770 front and rear in my berlingo and a 2nd loom and bracket in the motorhome to swap just the front camera

I have just ordered one of those as recommended by Techmoan on Youtube who reviews loads of these and it was the one he uses himself, availble fowrwrards and a rearview second camera as well. I got the front only one for £79. with GPS as well on it in the base.
The Techmoan guy provides some great advice. Well worth checking his channel out

I've got a a A118C based camera that worked well (still need to refit after I changed my car) and I have a Koonlung K1S Dual Camera Dashcam that I installed in my T5 and then moved to the LT (not run the rear camera cable yet in the LT)
Both the A118C and the K1S were bought due to Techmoan recommendations :)

Click on the spoilers for some examples of my footage

I didn't have much luck with the 605 chipset cameras - some of them had very poor low-light capabilities (I think it was one specific revision but can't recall which).
(I think Neil might recognise this road? :) )

I was advised to turn speed logging off unless I was a saintly driver which sometimes I'm not, and if I had a collision over the speed limit where the camera would be useful to me would not be wise to use it.
That is a good piece of advice. I don't know how common a feature this is, but on my Dashcam it shows the speed utpto a setting YOU select and above that speed the speed is not recorded (however if someone really wanted to, they could calculate it from the frames/second and distance travelled I guess).

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back