dead reliable internet option needed for global tel interpretation job (in UK and Europe)

NicsTricks

Hi guys,

have so far gotten on great with hotspotting from my EE sim with free EU roaming for my video language lessons and other remote jobs.

However, the new client (American company) demands a 100% performance with no cutouts and I doubt if I can guarantee this now.

I've seen the posts with Tp Link and other routers - would they be enough or does it have to be a proper MIFI kit with external aerial?
Anyone else working remotely like this and can shed some light please :)

TIA
Nicoe

Hi guys,

have so far gotten on great with hotspotting from my EE sim with free EU roaming for my video language lessons and other remote jobs.

However, the new client (American company) demands a 100% performance with no cutouts and I doubt if I can guarantee this now.

I've seen the posts with Tp Link and other routers - would they be enough or does it have to be a proper MIFI kit with external aerial?
Anyone else working remotely like this and can shed some light please :)

TIA
Nicoe
Depends where you go and for how long. There are increasingly restrictive limits on EU roaming (so a local SIM may be required) and there are (mainly rural) locations with very limited or zero mobile data bandwidth. Having said that, I've had issues in some urban locations in certain French départements. Even using satellite at great expense is no guarantee of 100% coverage from all locations, due to trees, buildings, mountainsides, etc. blocking line of sight to satellites.

Depends where you go and for how long. There are increasingly restrictive limits on EU roaming (so a local SIM may be required) and there are (mainly rural) locations with very limited or zero mobile data bandwidth. Having said that, I've had issues in some urban locations in certain French départements. Even using satellite at great expense is no guarantee of 100% coverage from all locations, due to trees, buildings, mountainsides, etc. blocking line of sight to satellites.
Thanks that's very helpful. At least to know I don't have to spend hundreds for a better coverage. However an external aerial would most likely improve things anyways I'd think. And yes I always get local sims. So prob a decent mobile router with external aerial would have to suffice. And hope for the best 🙈

It depends if you need 100% coverage 24/7 or just during 'working hours'. If its set times you just make sure you park places you can get a signal. Nearest to having access all the time would be Starlink but that isn't guaranteed

Thanks that's very helpful. At least to know I don't have to spend hundreds for a better coverage. However an external aerial would most likely improve things anyways I'd think. And yes I always get local sims. So prob a decent mobile router with external aerial would have to suffice. And hope for the best 🙈
You will find that the term "mobile router" that you used generates a link to a supplier website. The menu on that website also offers external antennae. There have been many threads on both motorhomer.com and wildcamping.co.uk on this subject with recommendations, including posts by Phil (Admin) with details of his mission-critical set-up.

It depends if you need 100% coverage 24/7 or just during 'working hours'. If its set times you just make sure you park places you can get a signal. Nearest to having access all the time would be Starlink but that isn't guaranteed
very sensible comment Nabsim. Made me realise yes I just work when I got good signal. I freelance anyway so I'll schedule depending on signal. Dead easy - if I'd put my common sense head on and stop overthinking 🤣

As you'll be aware uk mobile coverage isn't great. Uk sims generally don't roam when in the UK. Ie you don't get choices of carrier.

I noticed that RWG do a data only sim that can connect to all the main providers (O2, EE Vodaphone etc). https://www.rwgmobile.wales/webshop/multi-network-sims/10gb-multi-network-sim-£18-month/

Not cheap compared to their single network offering.
Some slate their customer service.
I use their standard ee based sim. Annoyed that I had to tell them I was in Europe even though eu roaming was automatically included. I emailed them and was online within 24hrs.

somebody else said it doesn't always work.
However, might be my only option then - just been speaking to the company and they do not allow mobile Internet as it's too unreliable 😐.
Thanks I'll check it out 😁
Thousands of hackers can't be wrong 😆 plus you get a 30 day free trial, full refund if not satisfied.

As you'll be aware uk mobile coverage isn't great. Uk sims generally don't roam when in the UK. Ie you don't get choices of carrier.

I noticed that RWG do a data only sim that can connect to all the main providers (O2, EE Vodaphone etc). https://www.rwgmobile.wales/webshop/multi-network-sims/10gb-multi-network-sim-£18-month/

Not cheap compared to their single network offering.
Some slate their customer service.
I use their standard ee based sim. Annoyed that I had to tell them I was in Europe even though eu roaming was automatically included. I emailed them and was online within 24hrs.
now THAT'S something I've never come across - and I'm not the bluntest knife in the draw lol. Sounds promising and if true just what would work 😁 I'll definitely give it a go. DANKE ☺

Back