deaf!

debs

So there I was yesterday, putting some colour on my hair, and when I did the final rinse, I got some water in my ears. Nothing unusual about that, except I am now deaf as a post in my left. Tried gently cleaning with some cotton buds, nope still deaf, so thought a nights sleep and it will probably right itself....nope still deaf in my left ear, nothing, zilch, still got my Tinnitus though, so made an appointment for the 18th and see what happens. Funny old life innit!

Even partial deafness is a disability that is not well known
Hope you get it resolved

I used to get this a lot when I worked in the quarry Debs, they thought it was a combination of dust and noise to blame. In my case it was the ear blocking with wax and was sorted by a visit to see the surgery nurse to get them syringed. Wonderful when done as you can hear a pin drop :)

They don’t syringe now but use a warm water pulse that isn’t as efficient but gets there eventually. No pain involved but wax has to be softened first usually. If you warm some olive oil then put in in affected ear followed by some cotton wool it will start to soften it. This process can result in you going even deafer in that ear as it softens and runs though but will be sorted at surgery.

This may not be what’s happened but how you described it is how it used to affect me, well apart from the hair colouring bit that is :)

Sorry for your deafness hope you get it sorted or at least on the way to sorting on the 18th

I agree with Nab’s post. Once you’ve used the olive oil, don’t throw it away, add some balsamic vinegar to it. You’ve got the start of a great salad dressing. Ee yuk.
On a serious note, Nik’s got an appointment next week at the General for her hearing problem. Once she’s got that sorted, I’ll have to watch what I say under my breath ?

So there I was yesterday, putting some colour on my hair, and when I did the final rinse, I got some water in my ears. Nothing unusual about that, except I am now deaf as a post in my left. Tried gently cleaning with some cotton buds, nope still deaf, so thought a nights sleep and it will probably right itself....nope still deaf in my left ear, nothing, zilch, still got my Tinnitus though, so made an appointment for the 18th and see what happens. Funny old life innit!
Debs
The moral of the story is.......don't colour your hair! Be like the Bongos, let it be!
As for your ear, my old Dr said not to put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear!
When you're playing the banjo give it some welly, and that should help!
Seriously though, we hope it sorts itself out soon.
Gordon and Moira

If the olive oil fails then try Otex from the pharmacist or Boots , Supermarket etc

It was on offer in Boots couple of weeks ago for £4 as i had exactly same problem with ear wax and water

Made worse by me poking ear with cotton bud i just ended up compressing wax in ear canal

Took over a week to shift it with daily applications

In the olden days the nurse at our GP’s surgery would flush it out but they dont anymore and you can’t get to see any Dr’s either

In the olden days the nurse at our GP’s surgery would flush it out but they dont anymore and you can’t get to see any Dr’s either

Do you know if that’s just your surgery Trek or national? I know ours stopped with a syringe but had a pulsing water pump machine that did similar job although not as effective and took longer. Must be a few years since I have had it done, with my memory for years I suppose it could be 10 so I could be well out of date

I thought most drs use micro suction now, that said I’ve been waiting 3 months for a nurses appointment to get “hoovered” (not all the surgery’s fault) as they only have ear cleaning clinics once a month! I would stay with olive oil personally but it can take a couple of weeks to work, Otex smells ‘orrible ??

Mum has hers done regularly at our surgery and they use a small pump to wash the ear clean, no suction.

You what, did someone say something, still deaf and yesterday was a bit weird, I was out walking Tinka and when I crossed the motorway, I could hear the roar of the traffic beneath me, and I could see the traffic approaching me on the bridge , but could not hear their engines at all.....maybe they were all electric, most odd!

Think it was last year when I went to the hospital for a hearing test, and discovered that I have lost some of the upper frequency perception, and the nurse there hoovered my ears out, but said they were quite clean, sadly nothing helps with the Tinnitus, just got to grin and bear it.

Have mine flushed about every 18 months. Joys of too many loud concerts and working with trucks and buses ??

I do it myself once a year with a syringe and water as hot as I can bear. Works a treat.

Please don't try this at home!

To soften the wax prior to getting them syringed, use warm olive oil, but to simply get rid of the wax, use bicarbonate-based ear drops. Really cheap and quite effective.

Tinnitis is often caused (or made worse) by the other ear not working. Perhaps it is waxed up?

, sadly nothing helps with the Tinnitus, just got to grin and bear it.
When I had a head injury three years ago I lost the hearing in my left ear, I have had tinnitus since the 70's after working in a noisy environment with no ear protection but it was worse when I was deaf as well because all I could hear is a shushing noise in my left ear and tinnitus and restricted hearing in my right ear, I attend a head trauma clinic and with their help I have been seeing the audiology department who set me up with two hearing aids, I have no tinnitus in either ear when I am wearing them and I can hear fairly good considering so a huge improvement, they told me that they cannot or not allowed to say that hearing aids help with tinnitus but most patients have told them that it does, I hope you get it sorted quickly

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back