Decommissioning

It was forecast to have an active life of about 20 years, if I remember.
Then the experts wagged their heads, saying that we were going to be in deep trouble and thank God we could go back to our vast reserves of coal..
Now look at us..!
Petrol in the UK is cheaper than in Portugal.

Last night my BBC local news showed it arriving at the dismantling dock and interviewed the ceo.
I often drive past the site looking at probably the largest mountain of scrap you are ever likely to see.

I used to go to the Brent from Sumburgh every day in the early 80s, Brent Spar certainly had a strange movement in rough weather.

I can't remember his name after all these years, but he was a Yorkshireman from near Hull. He had been on the 'Lloydsman' in the Cod Wars, but had made some comment on the then Prime Minister, so did not receive the due recognition for his efforts. He took out all the major Statoil concrete platforms, with from memory twelve ocean going tugs, no "anchor handlers" in those days. He taught me a lot about moving all sorts of units in difficult conditions . I did the Marine Controller job on Ninian Central as a favour for a friend, after Piper Alpha, during the fitting of ASDV's, and found the whole platform thing very strange compared to the exploration mentality. We flew to Unst and then to Ninian, and the weather was atrocious. I then moved out to working in Singapore, where the same advice was great.

I can't remember his name after all these years, but he was a Yorkshireman from near Hull. He had been on the 'Lloydsman' in the Cod Wars, but had made some comment on the then Prime Minister, so did not receive the due recognition for his efforts. He took out all the major Statoil concrete platforms, with from memory twelve ocean going tugs, no "anchor handlers" in those days. He taught me a lot about moving all sorts of units in difficult conditions . I did the Marine Controller job on Ninian Central as a favour for a friend, after Piper Alpha, during the fitting of ASDV's, and found the whole platform thing very strange compared to the exploration mentality. We flew to Unst and then to Ninian, and the weather was atrocious. I then moved out to working in Singapore, where the same advice was great.

I used to stay on Unst operating to the Ninian. Met my wife there in the most northerly bar in the UK. Strangely enough I moved on to live a little North of Singapore operating in the South China sea.
A picture of Unst in its heyday.

59B1563F-E0A9-4094-86A4-3F2CDF40E1D6.jpeg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back