Deionised/Distilled?

Deleted member 12

I've just been down to Halfords, hoping to buy some distilled water which I can't seem to find anywhere. Sadly Halfords didn't have any either.

They did however have Deionised water. Now I've always thought that this was unsuitable for batteries as it is acidic and some sort of additive had to be added before use, but the Halfords container clearly states for topping up batteries.

It may well be that they have put the additive in, which I presume is some sort of neutraliser, but it doesn't state that anywhere on the container.

I purchased it anyway, but haven't used it yet, if no good, Julie can have it for her iron or some other such useless object.

Any thoughts?

SimonM

Deionised is distilled - it’s just another name, albeit the correct version.

Deleted member 12

Deionised is distilled - it’s just another name, albeit the correct version.
I've read that argument before, however I've also read that it is wrong?

Apparently deionised attacks metal as it is acidic. This is what I am trying to clarify.

UFO

According to the internet (I know who do you believe but if a couple of reputable sources agree then it is probably correct) 'Distilled and deionised water are both forms of purified water. The main difference is that in distilled water, most bacteria and viruses have been removed while some minerals are left behind. The deionisation process, in contrast, completely removes minerals from the water but doesn't remove most bacteria or viruses'. https://www.chemicals.co.uk/blog/what-is-the-difference-between-distilled-water-and-deionised-water

See also - https://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/WP_EffectOfImpurities_0612.pdf

I've just been down to Halfords, hoping to buy some distilled water
That's not like you Rob.......normally you go down the pub........to get distilled water.

Rae

Deleted member 12

That's not like you Rob.......normally you go down the pub........to get distilled water.

Rae
Problem is Rae, the water out of the pub tends to be full of impurities like hops and yeast.

I'll give it a go though, once I've filtered it through me kidneys.

Deleted member 12

According to the internet (I know who do you believe but if a couple of reputable sources agree then it is probably correct) 'Distilled and deionised water are both forms of purified water. The main difference is that in distilled water, most bacteria and viruses have been removed while some minerals are left behind. The deionisation process, in contrast, completely removes minerals from the water but doesn't remove most bacteria or viruses'. https://www.chemicals.co.uk/blog/what-is-the-difference-between-distilled-water-and-deionised-water

See also - https://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/WP_EffectOfImpurities_0612.pdf
Sounds good.

If Trojan say it's OK, should be good for my 2xT125's.

Most of my shirts are de-ironised !
But at least they match my skin ....

SimonM

When I was still at school it was only 9p a pint and didn’t know any better. I still don’t. 😂

S&N Tartan was the flavour of the month when I was at UNI (1969-73) and Newcy Brown

Deleted member 12

When I was still at school it was only 9p a pint and didn’t know any better. I still don’t. 😂
When I was at school, we used to drink Party 4's and 7's of it.

It was horrible, but we drank it anyway.

As with Father Jack "Drink ! Drink ! Drink ! etc
The best beer for takeouts was Fullers Chiswick bitter in 2 litre PET bottles (hic !)
London Pride is one of my "Gofor" cask ales

Deleted member 12

As with Father Jack "Drink ! Drink ! Drink ! etc
The best beer for takeouts was Fullers Chiswick bitter in 2 litre PET bottles (hic !)
London Pride is one of my "Gofor" cask ales
London Pride is one of my favourite tipples.

(This is far more interesting than deionized/ distilled whatsisface!)

Wully

Loved a Black and Tan with a half pint of heavy beer and a wee bottle of sweetheart stout I’ve no seen it for years It’s probably classed as a cocktail now and £10 a pint. O got sidetracked there that efoy thing I bought turns ethanol into pure distilled water I’ll stop tipping it down the drain nowill put in bottles

Newcastle Brown. Been my favourite since I was a teenager and still today: well if it's good enough for Ogri.

Rae

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)