Dieppe to Bordeaux

sydnsue

We are driving the above route in September and I am considering avoiding the tolls which are just under £200 return. The obvious alternative appears to be the A28 to Tours and then the A10. Is this the best non-toll route?

I think both of those roads are tolled. I use N27 to Totes, then head to Yvetotes, cross the pont de brottone then Evreux Dreux and Chartres then N10 to Bordeaux.

I think both of those roads are tolled. I use N27 to Totes, then head to Yvetotes, cross the pont de brottone then Evreux Dreux and Chartres then N10 to Bordeaux.
OOPS. I forgot to filter tolls. Thanks for that. Your route looks very good. I shall put that in the satnav.

Be wary of the LEZ zone in Rouen ... even the Autoroute in inside the zone. If your van is over 3500kg you are not permitted in the LEZ.
To avoid Autoroute tolls cross the Seine at Pont de L'Arche, then use the N154 to Chartres, then N10 to Tours, then Bordeaux. Much of that route is dual carriageway. about 9+ hrs (418 miles)
If you need to avoid the Rouen LEZ go Yvetot, Alencon, Le Mans, Poitiers, Bordeaux ....again about 9+ hrs (417 miles). Predominantly 2 way roads.

Isn't the A10 a toll road? Even if you are on the toll free road though, we found it's worth joining the toll road to get round Poitiers. It's admittedly a good while since we were going that way but when we did, the toll by-pass was about €2.50 as opposed to about an hour of driving through stop and start junctions, traffic lights and roundabouts in Poitiers.

We are driving the above route in September and I am considering avoiding the tolls which are just under £200 return. The obvious alternative appears to be the A28 to Tours and then the A10. Is this the best non-toll route?
Sometimes you have to think out of the box, re: toll routes. OK, first of all, time for you may not be an issue, from viewing a french tv prog last year, there were two reporters doing a toll route, and non toll route challenge. From what I recall, and I may not have all my facts correct, toll reporter landed at destination first. Non toll reporter took two hours more to reach destination, much due to stop start within towns, villages, roundabout, etc. Then there was the extra fuel used to factor in, which was more fuel used than the toll reporter. The conclusion between both reporters was very interesting, and in my own opinion, use of tolls may look expensive, but when you weight it all up and look at the bigger picture, ease of travel, hit cruise control then sit back and take in the views, brilliant road surface conditions compared to UK shit roads, including motorway. Plus the fact, and I have used this options a few times, pull into a motorway aire for the night, all have facilities for the traveller. The £200 saving will be less than this when you take in the extra time and fuel cost to reach your non toll route destination, I should also add, less stress too.

Our recent three month trip we used the toll tag system, which made passing through the various peage a great experience. The above is my opinion only.

Isn't the A10 a toll road? Even if you are on the toll free road though, we found it's worth joining the toll road to get round Poitiers. It's admittedly a good while since we were going that way but when we did, the toll by-pass was about €2.50 as opposed to about an hour of driving through stop and start junctions, traffic lights and roundabouts in Poitiers.
We had a drop of at Poitiers train station June last year, getting in and out was a nightmare. Much has changed since our days of flying into Poitiers airport, then picked up to head our village near Chauvigy, about 30 kms.

Thanks Runnach. I understand what you mean but that is why I'm looking at the options and routes. We have done both tolls and normal routes in the past. Tolls can get boring after several hours and village speed limits can get frustrating. It's a difficult one.

There are benefits to using toll roads to bypass busy areas. On the route I mentioned before I use the A13 toll road from Bourg Achard to by pass Elbeuf , then also use the A10 to by pass Poitiers. It is mainly dual carriageway all the rest of the route

Thanks Runnach. I understand what you mean but that is why I'm looking at the options and routes. We have done both tolls and normal routes in the past. Tolls can get boring after several hours and village speed limits can get frustrating. It's a difficult one.
What is positive is, you have the choice to which method of road to use to reach your destination, toll or non toll. French tolls are not cheap, our recent Spanish toll cost was a drop in the ocean compared to France.

Enjoy your pending trip, regardless which road option you use. (y)

Bigshug, Was there a reason you went via Yvetot rather than travel due south to Rouen?

There are two reasons, the first is that we normally stop overnight at La Mailleraye, just past the Pont de Brotonne. The other reason is that my wife likes the shops in Yvetote, so its a case of anything for a quiet life!!
Another reason is that I don’t want to risk entering the LEZ in Rouen

I'd use google maps and turn off tolls, we did all of a six week trip and never touched a toll road except once and only as it was the much better but quite short route.

I agree that Google maps is very good, in my opinion about the best route finder. However I have never found a simple method of transferring the route into my Garmin satnav.

Definitely saves time and hassle, last month on the way back I used the toll toad from jct 30 to jct 19 to miss out Tours as well as Poitiers, I think it was just over €19 at class 2 but so much easier.

I agree that Google maps is very good, in my opinion about the best route finder. However I have never found a simple method of transferring the route into my Garmin satnav.
I didn't know you could even do that so you're ahead of me.

'Ow many putains de rond points ?
I'd be tempted to answer that if I had a clue what the question was.

Oh right :D :D

Putain lots :D :D

Putain lots of speed bump crossing too but we saw France not tarmac.

I'd be tempted to answer that if I had a clue what the question was.

Oh right :D :D

Putain lots :D :D

Putain lots of speed bump crossing too but we saw France not tarmac.
No argument there . I usually decide on a certain area/town etc . Get there as quickly as possible then explore .
I have , in the past , meandered through lots of France much of which [like anywhere else] is unremarkable

We just loved most of it, turning a corner and seeing a lovely old building, we like a church now and then and there are some real gems in the smaller towns and villages.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back