Dilemna

Rec

Full Member

Messages
1,659
I have a big dilemma in view of the recent publicity about people travelling to second homes. When (if) we return from Portugal end of April, we planned to collect my brother in law from his home in Kent and let him live at our holiday home ( pretty close to main residence) . He was on the point of splitting up with his long term partner when all this blew up. He is off work with severe mental depression ( suicidal) and cannot cope with isolation with his partner. All consultations and mental health team support is telephone so he could continue that. He can travel in the rear of the van, maintaining distance. His partner is a key worker and not yet in isolation, but he is hanging on to this plan as a light at the end of the tunnel ( his words).
Should we? The property is all stocked ready as we left a freezer full of food for our return so he would have no need to go out. Also be easier for us to keep an eye on him.
 

2cv

Moderator

Messages
3,498
I’d say that in such a case you should do what you feel needs to be done. However, by that time I expect movement to be far more restricted than it is now so maybe it will not be a choice to make. Hope it works out.
 
  • Thank You
Reactions: Rec

Rec

Full Member

Messages
1,659
I’d say that in such a case you should do what you feel needs to be done. However, by that time I expect movement to be far more restricted than it is now so maybe it will not be a choice to make. Hope it works out
Actually drive past his current home on way from the tunnel, so that we will still be travelling back to our main residence which is essential. Think that will be ok. But whether we stay here longer though, depends on France , Spain situation in few weeks time 😕 . The moral judgement and balancing risks is the concern.
 
Last edited:

Val54

Full Member

Messages
10,727
If you are able to move by then, then yes, I would do it. He is less likely to be a strain on the NHS where his mental state is improved.
 

2cv

Moderator

Messages
3,498
I don’t of course know the full circumstances, but on the face of it it may be best if possible to head home very soon. In most countries it seems to be accepted that people need to head home, but down the line the attitude may well change if the opportunity has not been taken in a reasonable time. Things change very quickly in this unusual situation.
 

Rec

Full Member

Messages
1,659
I don’t of course know the full circumstances, but on the face of it it may be best if possible to head home very soon. In most countries it seems to be accepted that people need to head home, but down the line the attitude may well change if the opportunity has not been taken in a reasonable time. Things change very quickly in this unusual situation.
For us, we are safer here in isolation ( husband higher risk!) and we have a few weeks before our booked tunnel ticket. We will stay longer if we cannot get back through France and Spain safely but think the virus will be better contained by then and also that return to UK will still be allowed. As you say, it changes so quickly, that it is an unknown. If my brother really needs to urgently get to our place in Uk, my son could take him in his campervan. I am hoping this would be deemed as an emergency for his mental wellbeing. He is ok with it being the end of April for the moment, as it gives him hope for future. It's so hard, balancing his needs, our needs and the uncertain future!
 

2cv

Moderator

Messages
3,498
Great that you are in a safe place. Shouldn’t worry about your tunnel tickets, from posts on the forums they appear to be accepting them on the first train departing.
Glad that you have resolved your dilemma.
 

Rec

Full Member

Messages
1,659
Great that you are in a safe place. Shouldn’t worry about your tunnel tickets, from posts on the forums they appear to be accepting them on the first train departing.
Glad that you have resolved your dilemma.
Thanks for your input, hard to work out if one is thinking straight and logically with all the information we keep getting.
 

Rec

Full Member

Messages
1,659
Had an email from tunnel they intend keeping open but say to watch the borders as France being strict about essential travel. Not suggesting all leave now but if get there on wrong day or time, they will get you through asap without extra costs.
 

TJBi

Full Member

Messages
130
Had an email from tunnel they intend keeping open but say to watch the borders as France being strict about essential travel. Not suggesting all leave now but if get there on wrong day or time, they will get you through asap without extra costs.
You might wish to consider the UK Government advice against non-essential travel and that British nationals normally resident in the UK but travelling abroad should return to the UK now. This might mean that your travel insurer would have a loophole if you remained abroad and it became necessary for you to make a claim.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Rec

Rec

Full Member

Messages
1,659
Not an issue for us as have temporary residence in Portugal, no travel insurance ( I know, we had it last year but decided against this year) The cost was prohibitive, we would not need repatriaton, or hotel costs if there was a need for medical care. We can still use EH1C this year and have a fund to cover extra costs. I consider travelling through high risk Spain and France, not essential as we have a stable base well isolated here in Portugal. My concern was for brother and the acceptability of getting him to our cottage in UK in his current mental health state. Think we have sorted that now, if he feels desperate, my son will take him if we are still away.
 
Top