Diodes

FERENZA

Free Member

do solar panels need a diode fitted. i though they already had one.

marlec wind turbine regulator says solar needs to have a blocking diode ?

Last edited:
I have a Solar Panel on my van and wanted another, I had a second one fitted by Solar Solutions of Poole Dorset , they came to my home and fitted it, The fitter said he was fitting Diodes in the System because it would save him a lot of hassle if anything went wrong in the future, he said the Diodes would prevent one panel feeding the other if one failed, I also needed a new regulator as the feed was greater , so do you need a Diode, well Solar Solutions whom I trust implicitly said YES ?

I have a Solar Panel on my van and wanted another, I had a second one fitted by Solar Solutions of Poole Dorset , they came to my home and fitted it, The fitter said he was fitting Diodes in the System because it would save him a lot of hassle if anything went wrong in the future, he said the Diodes would prevent one panel feeding the other if one failed, I also needed a new regulator as the feed was greater , so do you need a Diode, well Solar Solutions whom I trust implicitly said YES ?
it is a Marlec wind and solar regulator. not solar2 solar

Thank you for reply , did you fit a diode to the turbine . mine seems to be taking power away from the battery.
No, that's not necessary. You may be confusing the red and green light on the Marlec regulator. The wind turbine only inputs a charge to the battery when its speed is fast enough to create a higher voltage than the battery voltage. If it is not putting power in to the battery, the light will be red. Once it speeds up to a higher output voltage, the light will turn green. At no point will it take power out of the battery.

No, that's not necessary. You may be confusing the red and green light on the Marlec regulator. The wind turbine only inputs a charge to the battery when its speed is fast enough to create a higher voltage than the battery voltage. If it is not putting power in to the battery, the light will be red. Once it speeds up to a higher output voltage, the light will turn green. At no point will it take power out of the battery.
Hi, thanks for reply. No red or green lights, it is a HRDI regulator just shows being drawn by turbine and or solar.
each wires goes to WG and PV solar. solar is charging but wg is not showing anything but i am getting a reading where the wires go into regulator.

I am not familiar with the HRDI (but have looked them up online). I had the older version recommended for my Rutland. Best to speak to the maker.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back