Disabled Tax Relief

Nick-Mandy

Hiya,

So we've just had our reminder for vehicle tax through the post. It's a whooping £280.
We have a disabled taxation class on our family car, which allows us zero tax. I think it saves us £200 per year.

My questions are;

We can't claim for two vehicles; can we?
Do you think we could class our motorhome as a disabled vehicle, and show our present disabled car as a normal vehicle instead?
Have any of you guys come across this situation and what have you done?

Best wishes
Torchy

It is worth pursuing as often legislation can be open to interpretation. There was a Motorhome dealer here who was selling Motorhomes to registered disabled people VAT free.
It was eventually challenged and stopped but only after some years. HMRC tried to collect the vat due from the firm, but it simply declared itself bankrupt. Of course it reopened under a new name a while later.

Davy

We have a disabled class on our car too. I thought about the MH but decided that that would be stretching the point too far so settled for the benefit as is, rather than to be seen to be taking the piss.

I think it's only 1 vehicle you can claim for but happy to be proved wrong
smile.gif

We have a disabled class on our car too. I thought about the MH but decided that that would be stretching the point too far so settled for the benefit as is, rather than to be seen to be taking the piss.

I think it's only 1 vehicle you can claim for but happy to be proved wrong
smile.gif
You're correct GMJ, only one vehicle allowed.
I may just take a chance. Let's face it, they can only say NO.

Thanks Steve. I use our family car without my wife, where I go everywhere in the camper with her.
There again, the car maybe still under that daft clause where they charge extra tax because its under 5 years old.

When moving from disability tax allowance on a vehicle to a motability vehicle the initial tax is automatically cancelled.

Many here have the MH on motability, only one VEH as far as i know in household fo said named person.

This clause always gives me some pause for thought (taken form the link mistericeman posted in post 4 above)...

It must only be used for the disabled person’s personal needs. It cannot be used by the nominated driver for their own personal use.

My wife gets PiP and a blue badge and the car is registered in her name but I drive it more than her. I guess it depends how you define "personal needs".

This clause always gives me some pause for thought (taken form the link mistericeman posted in post 4 above)...

It must only be used for the disabled person’s personal needs. It cannot be used by the nominated driver for their own personal use.

My wife gets PiP and a blue badge and the car is registered in her name but I drive it more than her. I guess it depends how you define "personal needs".
Many do that here, chap i know got one on mothers name but he uses it every day to go to work, think mother has been in it about twice.

I always used to use the concession on whichever vehicle had the dearest tax. When I had a company car I would have it on my motorcycle outfit. Has always been only one vehicle

Hiya,

So we've just had our reminder for vehicle tax through the post. It's a whooping £280.
We have a disabled taxation class on our family car, which allows us zero tax. I think it saves us £200 per year.

My questions are;

Do you think we could class our motorhome as a disabled vehicle, and show our present disabled car as a normal vehicle instead?

Best wishes
Torchy
You can only allocate the disabled 'discount' on one vehicle. Put it on the vehicle with the most expensive road tax. You can do that as long as you are a passenger or driver of that vehicle. Your actual blue badge itself can be taken in any vehicle you are in, and it allows you to park in the the disabled parking bays. Apologies if I'm repeating previous answers.

The only way for VAT exemption, as far as I know, is if the car has been specifically, and permanently, adapted to suit persons disability. I believe that if you buy a vehicle that has been hired under the mobility scheme there is VAT relief on that.
Certain supplies for a disabled person can be VAT free, also VAT can be at 5% for certain mobility aids installed in your home.
VAT relief for disabled people is complex. I'm trying to learn about it, amongst the other 80+ modules, as part of becoming a Citizens Advice Bureau adviser.

That use to be the case but I think things have changed since it was decided that , for instance, blindness makes a person eligible for VAT free. and needs no modifications.

You can buy products specifically designed for disabled people – including blind and partially sighted people – without paying VAT on them. ... So, for example, you shouldn't pay VAT on: white canes. CCTV reading aids. But we digress from original question. Lol

Update

FYI

When I registered the motorhome as a disabled at the Post Office, they wrote the registration number on the top righthand corner of the DWP/PIP confirmation letter, to prevent me using it again on another vehicle.

I can only presume there are people out there who abuse the system and get away with it.

Hiya,

My questions are;

Best wishes
Torchy

I've seen people in Great Yarmouth camping for a week on the sea front with a disabled badge. Just nominate the van as your disabled vehicle. But you will have to use it for everything then of course

. Just nominate the van as your disabled vehicle. But you will have to use it for everything then of course

No, it means that the vehicle can't be used unless it is explicitly for the disabled person. No reason the disabled person can't be in another car, even with their blue badge.

Hiya,

My questions are;

Best wishes
Torchy
Ok. We have a Mini one diesel. No road tax as low emissions. My partner was on PIP and was awarded a blue badge. It therefor made sense to register the Hymer as disabled. Other than me going for fuel and supplies she was always in the moho with me. So if you think it's worth the bother to save £80 go for it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back