DO YOU KNOW YOUR ONIONS?

saxonborg

Interested to know out of those motorhomers who like to cook for themselves, do you use only fresh onions or the dehydrated variety? I usually carry a couple of kilo of raw onions in my gas locker as they seem to last quite well there however I could carry the equivalent in a small packet to be used anytime except of course if you wanted some for a salad. Any views?

Never used them, but I've heard from reliable sources that dried mushrooms are a very good store cupboard ingredient, don't see why onions can't be used the same way?

You get dried garlic in 'herbs & spices' and also pickled garlic in jars, the latter I have found works just as well as fresh in recipes that need it.

We do not use much dried frozen or similar..
Onions we always use fresh
In Thailand they do "chinese" dried mushrooms which we like and bring to UK.
We keep the odd tin of tomatoes or sieved tomatoes rather than puree, baked beans, corned beef, mushy peas.
Other - pasta, also sachets of Rosti potatoes with or without bacon as an emergency meal
We also buy the cheapo cup-a-soup but enhance it by frying small amounts of mushroom, onion, tomato in the pan before adding water and then the packet of soup.
Other quick food ..the tins of croissants which still need to be cooked.
1 packet of long-life milk.
As onions last a long time we do not see the advantage of dried !

We keep the odd tin of tomatoes or sieved tomatoes rather than puree, baked beans, corned beef, mushy peas.
Other - pasta, also sachets of Rosti potatoes with or without bacon as an emergency meal
We also buy the cheapo cup-a-soup but enhance it by frying small amounts of mushroom, onion, tomato in the pan before adding water and then the packet of soup.
Tins of Croissants? sounds intriguing. Is this something you get in the UK? (never heard of tins of bread, just plastic-sealed part-baked ones.

Enhancing cup-a-soups ... Never tried that. Sounds a neat idea. I'll have to give that a go :)

I've not seen onion salt in the UK but always had it on hand when I lived in Australia,it's a good alternative to weeping softly while preparing dinner.

I used one of those tinned croissants things a few months back just to give it a go - got the tin from Lidl, Aldi or Home Bargains, can't remember exactly.

Reasonably croissant-y, but dread to think what additives it had, just like most other pre-prepared foods I guess! :eek:

Still, croissants aren't going to be the healthiest thing you'll ever eat, no matter where they come from! :)

Interesting, do you buy the Rosti potatoes in the UK. Cup-a-soups I find are very “windy”.

If away with the camper, fresh onions every time.
At home I grow a lot of onions (180-200) use fresh until Christmas and then when they start to go green in the centre or shoot as you would call it, set on and cut then up and freeze them raw, then they are ready to use and we can manage to use our own until the next year's crop is ready.
If you wa nt to get rid of the smell off your hands, rub them on the chrome water tap and then wash them, job done.
Ken

When we went to Scandinavia a few years ago, we took a lot of dried vegetables. Bags of carrots, onions, mixed veg and soya mince. The onions I found were a little bit like the outside leaves where they don’t go soft with cooking. Wouldn’t bother with them again.
Got quite into the soya mince. And will use it in preference to beef mince for Bolognese, chilli et cetera.

Always have celery salt on board for soups.

Depends what you want to cook. And how happy you are adapting recipes Otherwise just go out for a meal!

When we went to Scandinavia a few years ago, we took a lot of dried vegetables. Bags of carrots, onions, mixed veg and soya mince. The onions I found were a little bit like the outside leaves where they don’t go soft with cooking. Wouldn’t bother with them again.
Got quite into the soya mince. And will use it in preference to beef mince for Bolognese, chilli et cetera.

Always have celery salt on board for soups.

Depends what you want to cook. And how happy you are adapting recipes Otherwise just go out for a meal!
Thank you, useful info on the onions, we use the soya mince at home and it makes quite a reasonable chilli and bolognese. Is it frozen soya mince that you use?

I use fresh onions, but also carry small amount of crispy onion and crispy garlic. My daughter in law ( Thai) cooks it in bulk for her restaurant and gives me bags of it when I visit. Useful for salads, stir fry or soup topping or in omlettes.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back