Doggy day care

andromeda

Coping with dogs when you want to explore.
Last time I went to Scotland I didn' have my the dog Meescha with me and could explore in towns, castles etc at will; however I would prefer to take Buster with me next time. What does everyone do with their dogs? Doggy day care? Leave behind? Mutual exchange with another dog owner?

We take our dog with us, most of the things we like to do are dog friendly. There's a good website / app we use, www.doggiepubs.org.uk that lists dog friendly eating places, and various others that list dog friendly attractions.

If we really can't take him to something we want to see, we could leave him in the van for a couple of hours.

Ours are always with us...
Sometimes we have to make a compromise and one of us will stay in the van whilst the other does something...

I definitely wouldn't leave them alone in the van...
Far too many cases of dogs being stolen etc

We always took little Mugwump with us, car, van, cable car, boat, train, bus, etc. She was part of our family, and we both miss her very much.

Since we’re on a doggy thread, I must recommend a program on Ch. 5, “Dogs behaving very badly”. Amazing training results every week. Link
Not a fan I’m afraid

It’s very, very heavily edited, and you can buy his so called qualification if you want (it isn’t independently assessed). I could say a lot more but I don’t want to derail the thread. If anyone is interested in why he isn’t rated in the dog world, these articles put it well. They were written by a behaviourist who is accredited by a professional body.

We take Angus everywhere with us, if he is not welcome or allowed we don’t go as we are just his staff really so we go where he goes 😂
There are lots of places that do allow dogs and we just look for those. It’s much easier in summer as you can sit outside cafes/pubs etc

A dog will settle down alone in your van with a bit of training, although some selfish owners just leave them for hours barking and howling on campsites. A bit of background music and a chewy treat is sufficient for most dogs. Instead of chucking all your clothes in the laundry bag, a used clothing item for a dog to lie on or beside can help. There are various ways to keep them happy.

We managed OK with up to 6 dogs but we did consider our destinations according to its suitability. If it was just for one night then almost anywhere was fine.

Generally speaking, if my dog can't go somewhere then I don't go there. It's their holiday, too. My dogs have all been ok being left for a few hours at home and the same in the van, especially in the evening when they will settle and sleep while I am gone. Although some campsites frown on that.
I have occasionally swapped with friends - I watch their dog/s while they go somewhere and vice versa. If in a town, I've taken turns with others to stay outside the shop with the dogs or go in. It does help that many of my friends are dog owners too.
Last summer (and the year before) Reg couldn't walk very far so I didn't go anywhere, just lazed around, read books, chatted to other campers etc. Quite relaxing for a change! Then I had a few months dogless before getting Jet - yes, it was easier without a dog in tow but to be honest I didn't really do anything I couldn't have done with a dog there, and I missed the company.

Generally speaking, if my dog can't go somewhere then I don't go there. It's their holiday, too. My dogs have all been ok being left for a few hours at home and the same in the van, especially in the evening when they will settle and sleep while I am gone. Although some campsites frown on that.
I have occasionally swapped with friends - I watch their dog/s while they go somewhere and vice versa. If in a town, I've taken turns with others to stay outside the shop with the dogs or go in. It does help that many of my friends are dog owners too.
Last summer (and the year before) Reg couldn't walk very far so I didn't go anywhere, just lazed around, read books, chatted to other campers etc. Quite relaxing for a change! Then I had a few months dogless before getting Jet - yes, it was easier without a dog in tow but to be honest I didn't really do anything I couldn't have done with a dog there, and I missed the company.

Spot on.... We built our first van around our 5 loons....

Down to 3 loons now but same rules apply...
Love to see them enjoying fun on the beach...
And fit the rest of our life around them lol

20211008_161755.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back