Dometic Fridge not cooling

GrannyF

Hi all. We're in France in extreme temperatures and the fridge won't keep food cold. The freezer is ok. Hasn't happened before . Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Could possibly just be the extreme temperatures. Perhaps worth keeping the fridge side of the van in the shade.

Hi all. We're in France in extreme temperatures and the fridge won't keep food cold. The freezer is ok. Hasn't happened before . Any ideas? Thanks in advance
We're in Eastern France and have had temperatures of up to 38 degrees. EHU on aires (€8 per night) enables us to crank the fridge setting to Level 5; if no EHU, gas on Level 3 keeps everything chilled, including jugs of warm drinking water that will chill again in about 1/2 hour

Steve

Just look up "Fridge problems," on the search button on the LHS, top of the page.
Every year, at this time, the same problems arrive and the same answers are given.
Just spend an hour trawling through the last 3 years or so.

Yes those old tec fridges dont work in hot weather above 20/25c, you require a compressor fridge, same with cool boxes.

Have you taken off the outside grilles to allow more air flow?

Are you able to shade the air outlets at all by either parking with the fridge in the shade (as mentioned) or perhaps winding out your canopy if you have one?

Do you carry a desk fan or other fan in the MH that you could position to blow air up through the lower aperture (being careful that it doesn't blow out your pilot light)?

Yes those old tec fridges dont work in hot weather above 20/25c, you require a compressor fridge, same with cool boxes.
I have a compressor fridge and even that will only cool the inside to 20 degrees below ambient temperature. In hot weather the temperature inside of stationary vehicles is even hotter that the outdoor temperature so it is impossible for the fridge to transfer its heat from its "radiator" which is nearly always in a very small air space behind the cupboards.

Have you taken off the outside grilles to allow more air flow?

Are you able to shade the air outlets at all by either parking with the fridge in the shade (as mentioned) or perhaps winding out your canopy if you have one?

Do you carry a desk fan or other fan in the MH that you could position to blow air up through the lower aperture (being careful that it doesn't blow out your pilot light)?
I use a fan to blow air up my aperture on hot days, but, after mealtimes, it can cause a reverse current flow, rather like putting the vacuum cleaner on blow to clear a blockage ... 🤭

Steve

I've used a compressor fridge for the last 10 years and not had a problem keeping it cool. For example last week when it was 40° in the van my compressor fridge was running at -20° in the freezer and a steady 4° in the fridge. I am pleased I did fit this type of fridge as opposed to a 3 way fridge.

I've used a compressor fridge for the last 10 years and not had a problem keeping it cool. For example last week when it was 40° in the van my compressor fridge was running at -20° in the freezer and a steady 4° in the fridge. I am pleased I did fit this type of fridge as opposed to a 3 way fridge.

Same here....

Compressor types (either 12v/or 240v via inverter)
Are much more tolerant of higher temps....
Absorbtion types really are dinosaur tech in terms of tolerance to extreme temps and being level/wind in wrong direction etc etc

I have a compressor fridge and even that will only cool the inside to 20 degrees below ambient temperature. In hot weather the temperature inside of stationary vehicles is even hotter that the outdoor temperature so it is impossible for the fridge to transfer its heat from its "radiator" which is nearly always in a very small air space behind the cupboards.
No radiator on mine, its completely sealed, and I have no idea how it works but it was at 2c when the van was showing 30c + inside.

Your fridge sounds like an efficient one, what make is it ? My compressor fridge is ten years old now it could be wearing out, maybe a new one is on the cards.

No radiator on mine, its completely sealed, and I have no idea how it works but it was at 2c when the van was showing 30c + inside.
Fridges has to have a radiator ( called a condenser ) for the coolant gas to expand into and loose the heat. My 50L has a smallish one on the back which is maybe why it only does 20 degrees below ambient.

Fridges has to have a radiator ( called a condenser ) for the coolant gas to expand into and loose the heat. My 50L has a smallish one on the back which is maybe why it only does 20 degrees below ambient.
A lot of modern undercounter ones don't have a condenser 'coil' thesedays...
They have a plate condenser... Less susceptible to damage than, a delicate coil
And less chance of it getting blocked with fluff and detritus etc.

Reactions: 2cv
A lot of modern undercounter ones don't have a condenser 'coil' thesedays...
They have a plate condenser... Less susceptible to damage than, a delicate coil
And less chance of it getting blocked with fluff and detritus etc.
Thats interesting , I didn't know about the plate condensers , it sounds like they are more efficient . (y)

You can buy a fan kit for the back of the fridge. It draws air in at the bottom to help push air out at the top. Not expensive and will help

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back