Dometic RM8501 Fridge / Freezer Solar connection and Solar controller Connection

jeffmossy

Rally Organiser

Hello
I am looking at connecting my Dometic RM 8501 fridge freezer to my mppt solar controller , I have found the s+ connector on the fridge / freezer , but reading the instructions from the manufactures they say
S+ signal connection:
12V DC energy can be optionally achieved by mounting solar equipment to the vehicle. The solar power equipment must be provided with
a solar charging controller with AES output (adequate charging controllers).
The "S+ connection (Solar +) must be connected to the respective terminal of the solar charging controller (AES output).
The electronic system uses the S+ signal of the solar charging controller to detect solar 12V DC

Does this mean the solar controller unit have to have a special +ive output for the fridge freezer or can I connect it to the +ive load output from the solar controler output ? and set it to switch on the load at lets say 13 volts .and turn off at 12.9 volts ?

BTW my Solar controller is a Weiser series 3 MPPT 50A

Last edited:
I would think that it depends upon how much spare capacity you have from the solar when your batteries are charging. So does the load output of your controller still provide an output if the batteries need charging?
If there is no load output whilst charging the batteries then I guess you could connect the load output to your fridge as you wont get any power to the fridge until the batteries have charged, you dont want to be runnig the fridge at the expense of not charging the batteries.
The other question is can your solar instal provide at least 14A if not then dont bother as the fridge will struggle.

Hi Jeff.
I know this is an old thread but did you accomplish running your fridge if your surplus solar ? And can you advise me where to find the s+ connector in the 8501 fridge/ freezer,?
Thanks
Jim

Hi Jim
Tbh the more questions I asked the more I decided against the idea, basically what I wanted to do would not be worth the while due to the amount of sunlight we have in this country. If you take the bottom panel off and look to the bottom r/h side of the freezer, there is a small plastic box with wires going into it, remove the cover, and you will see the S+ block connector on the PCB board. Good luck (y)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back