Drain hose modifications

Iandsm

On my Warwixk XL the drain hoses for the fresh and waste water tanks are just thin flexible hoses one of which has split so I replaced them both with a slightly tougher reinforced ones, I also fitted the new hoses to the tank outlets with jubilee clips instead of the simple push fit. These hoses are held in place in their normal position with spring hose clips which seen rather weak to me and of course if one breaks through age/rust the hose will just drag along the ground. I am considering placing wide cable ties in suitable places to hold the hoses up should the hose clips break on a journey. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or has anyone improved the set up, I would be very interested to know please.

Sounds like good bit of preventative maintenance! I am a believer in checking for the need for improvements rather than "just in time" or emergency repairs.
On a different note! We have been thinking of downsizing from 3800kg Coachbuilt to the Warwick XL - even though they are like Rocking Horse poo in their scarcity.
Do you have a concentrated list of good/bad points and things (apart from the waste pipes!) to look out for?
Many thanks for any help you can give.

Sounds like good bit of preventative maintenance! I am a believer in checking for the need for improvements rather than "just in time" or emergency repairs.
On a different note! We have been thinking of downsizing from 3800kg Coachbuilt to the Warwick XL - even though they are like Rocking Horse poo in their scarcity.
Do you have a concentrated list of good/bad points and things (apart from the waste pipes!) to look out for?
Many thanks for any help you can give.
Not a really concentrated list we love the big barn doors at the back and the big sliding door, great in the better weather. The single bunks are a decent size and comfortable and the separate shower in the washroom is better than many PVC as not the whole compartment gets wet when in use, saying that there is no bathroom cabinet although there is a wire rack storage. We fitted additional towel rings too. The fresh water tank is only 70 ptrs so we can just get two showers and two lots of washing up out of it and it really needs filling daily if we both shower and the waste tank is 45 ltrs so fills up quickly. We havn't had storage issues as there are decent size lockers and wardrobe and downsizing from our A class hasn't really been difficult as we though it might be. The 2.2 Peugeot engine pulls well although I think its noisier than the Fiat engine but my wife thinks its fine. It will cruise happily at 70 and I have had it up to just under 80 with no problem but I find its sweet spot is between 55 and 60 which gives a reasonably relaxed drive and returns 28.8 MPG constantly. The only really negative is that the space between the kitchen and the opposite wall is narrow so it's single traffic only if wanting to pass through although thats not rot inconvenient. We havn't tried the large double bed but it would be huge and easy to make up just sliding the cushions together. We use sleeping bags and keep both these and pillows under one locker with a large bag for laundry, under the other bunk there is the electrics box and two batteries but still room for ramps, basrbque and other bits and pieces. If I was asked whether I would but one again I would say definitely yes. Ours is a 2016 which has 9k on it when we bought it April 2001, we paid 57K for it which I thought was well over the top but what swung the deal was the trade in, we expected around 18K for our 2008 Rapido A class but were given 24K. I have since discovered that to was sold on for 32K and I doubt I would have paid that for a 13 year old motorhome with 87K on the clock even though it has been well looked after, just goes to show how the market is.Good luck with your quest, I know they are rare but they do come up occasionally.

On my Warwixk XL the drain hoses for the fresh and waste water tanks are just thin flexible hoses one of which has split so I replaced them both with a slightly tougher reinforced ones, I also fitted the new hoses to the tank outlets with jubilee clips instead of the simple push fit. These hoses are held in place in their normal position with spring hose clips which seen rather weak to me and of course if one breaks through age/rust the hose will just drag along the ground. I am considering placing wide cable ties in suitable places to hold the hoses up should the hose clips break on a journey. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or has anyone improved the set up, I would be very interested to know please.
I did similar to my van when I got it jubilee clips and cable ties where would we be without them GAFFER tape too of course, , bit complicated on my van as I first had to remove an outer cover off the tank , insulated against frost it is, before I could get at the outlet connections, I obtained a tap from a fish pond outlet and fitted that to the end of my waste water outlet pipe so I have more control on dumping the waste water, I rarely close this tap as I see no need to store waste water in my tanks, sensible disposal is easy as will be obvious ,

Not a really concentrated list we love the big barn doors at the back and the big sliding door, great in the better weather. The single bunks are a decent size and comfortable and the separate shower in the washroom is better than many PVC as not the whole compartment gets wet when in use, saying that there is no bathroom cabinet although there is a wire rack storage. We fitted additional towel rings too. The fresh water tank is only 70 ptrs so we can just get two showers and two lots of washing up out of it and it really needs filling daily if we both shower and the waste tank is 45 ltrs so fills up quickly. We havn't had storage issues as there are decent size lockers and wardrobe and downsizing from our A class hasn't really been difficult as we though it might be. The 2.2 Peugeot engine pulls well although I think its noisier than the Fiat engine but my wife thinks its fine. It will cruise happily at 70 and I have had it up to just under 80 with no problem but I find its sweet spot is between 55 and 60 which gives a reasonably relaxed drive and returns 28.8 MPG constantly. The only really negative is that the space between the kitchen and the opposite wall is narrow so it's single traffic only if wanting to pass through although thats not rot inconvenient. We havn't tried the large double bed but it would be huge and easy to make up just sliding the cushions together. We use sleeping bags and keep both these and pillows under one locker with a large bag for laundry, under the other bunk there is the electrics box and two batteries but still room for ramps, basrbque and other bits and pieces. If I was asked whether I would but one again I would say definitely yes. Ours is a 2016 which has 9k on it when we bought it April 2001, we paid 57K for it which I thought was well over the top but what swung the deal was the trade in, we expected around 18K for our 2008 Rapido A class but were given 24K. I have since discovered that to was sold on for 32K and I doubt I would have paid that for a 13 year old motorhome with 87K on the clock even though it has been well looked after, just goes to show how the market is.Good luck with your quest, I know they are rare but they do come up occasionally.
Our van isn't too dissimilar, and agree with everything you say, especially the rear barn doors. During our first shakedown trip, I noticed and copied a couple using them to shake out their bedding each morning. It's so easy to do whilst Yvonne is in the shower.

We downsized from a coachbuilt to a PVC too, and sat in the van most of the morning to discuss strengths and weaknesses with each other before committing. We are incredibly tidy (actually that's me) and we don't carry unnecessary stuff, and that makes touring easy.

Our van doesn't have a restriction at the kitchen, but that lost us the opportunity for four travelling seats.

Reactions: 2cv
I have used cheap rigid pipes.
Suitably supported (cable ties and metal hooks)
I also replaced the push pull valve with a simple 90 deg twist valve.
I keep spares and glue as part of my "running repairs kit"

When I bought my new coach built Pilote it came with a pull handle to open the waste tank valve which was disconnected and replaced by the dealer with a 1 1/2 “ drain pipe and valve. The dealer said they had issues from customers with the factory fit waste pipe and took it upon themselves to replace it.
I have to say it’s brilliant, sturdy and it empties the 100 litre tank extremely quickly.
My previous Devon pvc had the thin flexible pipes and flimsy valves which were fastened to a bracket and cabled tied to the bodywork.
They were to low and I knocked both valves off and had to buy new valves. Was going to change the design but sold it to buy the Pilote.

Very many thanks for the reply. We have viewed the XL at shows (pre-Covid) and decided it is the way we would go. Your purchase in April 2021 is reflective of the increase in the values of PCV/MH/A Class since the pandemic and StayCations which is why I might just sell ours and bank the cash until the newcomers decide their package tours are better than StayCations and there becomes a glut of sales on the open market!

Considering all the skill and planning that goes into most of the motorhome fixings ....
This is an all too common problem.
Maybe £100 for a good first fix ?

Very many thanks for the reply. We have viewed the XL at shows (pre-Covid) and decided it is the way we would go. Your purchase in April 2021 is reflective of the increase in the values of PCV/MH/A Class since the pandemic and StayCations which is why I might just sell ours and bank the cash until the newcomers decide their package tours are better than StayCations and there becomes a glut of sales on the open market!
For us a seperate shower is a must have !

I have used cheap rigid pipes.
Suitably supported (cable ties and metal hooks)
I also replaced the push pull valve with a simple 90 deg twist valve.
I keep spares and glue as part of my "running repairs kit"
I've knocked my rigid waste tank drain pipe off for the second time and have thought of getting a flexible pipe put on...
My current preference, however, is to buy a wheeley waste tank like I'm seeing on so many other mohos and caravans here in Spain.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back