Dreaded leaking fuel filter strikes again

Vanterrier

Had a nice slow meander through the North York moors and found a quiet CL in Harwood Dale but then saw diesel pishing out under nearside arch. Lifted bonnet and sure enough fuel squirting out of top of filter housing and going everywhere.
Two hours later, Beacon Rescue have been out for Green Flag. The offending filter is on the grass looking perfect but obviously not. They will return with complete replacement tomorrow morning and I expect to be then £200 poorer ...
There's always something!
K :(

Last edited:
Tracing the leak on the road it appears to have just started as I pulled onto the campsite. I can see where it first appears on the gravel, so at least I have not lost half a tank...
K :looking for a brightside emoji: :unsure: :rolleyes::cool:

That isn’t just the filter at that price is it? Complete housing and filter?

When I was working and parts supreme for a large motor factor I got the UFI boss to import a dozen complete filters for resale. At that time they were £200+ from Fiat and not available in the aftermarket. I always carry one onboard just in case. This is for the plastic canister version used on x250 prior to 2014ish.

There is a special tool required to dismantle it, it must be done in a vice in a workbench or it won’t seal correctly and sometimes the upper seal ring will split and leak. Always a while after having been ‘serviced’ and not whilst being serviced.

some pictures when I did mine along with instructions from the tool 1A3994BE-8530-4B1C-A6CB-88C555526403.jpeg09DD88F5-B590-4C47-88E5-51EF5A8E8DDA.jpeg7CE096E7-9AEF-4FF4-AC1F-C703E34C0B04.jpegA243A6C4-D16A-4F30-B2B5-0A5C2BEF2DF8.jpeg3D58CDDA-EC5A-4937-B497-15F7B5A44A35.jpeg

Last edited:
apparently there is a strict torque setting when changing filter element and a special tool to avoid warping housing

Yes its the full assembly... £93 +vat and then tomorrow's call out to fit it leaving me no change from £200 I reckon.
Here's the offending item...
20220809_194800.jpg
Offers on the back of a tenner will be accepted
K ;)

I've got three of the buggers.
Original failed after service.
eBay one lasted two years. Failed after 6hours in traffic jam.
Third one main dealer £270. Failed after stopping for fuel after only four hour drive.
I serviced the original myself and put it back on after the eBay failed, then again when the main dealer part failed. It's still on and no problem since.
My advice, use the service tool, smear silicone grease on threads, apply smear of fuel resistant sealant (Hermatite/hylomar) to seal and torque to 35Nm.
I have one torqued to 37Nm , but quit while ahead.

When I was working and parts supreme for a large motor factor I got the UFI boss to import a dozen complete filters for resale. At that time they were £200+ from Fiat and not available in the aftermarket. I always carry one onboard just in case. This is for the plastic canister version used on x250 prior to 2014ish.

There is a special tool required to dismantle it, it must be done in a vice in a workbench or it won’t seal correctly and sometimes the upper seal ring will split and leak. Always a while after having been ‘serviced’ and not whilst being serviced.....
I had mine leak a while after the service where the filter was replaced.
Garage came out first to diagnose and again to fix. Sent me an invoice for around £150 for parts and labour to fix.

After a little discussion, they decided to cancel the invoice ...

I think I will probably buy a complete housing for emergency use and use for next service. It is not complicated to swap a complete housing and cheaper than a garage would charge to fit a new filter into an existing housing.
(and the removed one becomes emergency spare so net cost to carry spare becomes £0.00).

Here’s an example of the tool to get, cheap enough. I replace the filter using the tool and always carry a spare.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back