Drills

andromeda

De skilled person here. Haven't used a drill for a while as helpful people have enabled me to de skill. My last decent drill went in floods and my current object is inadequate to say the least.
Please can anyone reccomend a make that's not too expensive but could add the following attachments: small metal and wood polishes, a paint mixer, screwdriver and a variety of drills.
Thanks

just an observation ... a drill that is powerful enough to be used as a paint mixer (quite an unusual requirement to specify) would likely be a bit awkward to use as an electric screwdriver I think.
Batteries and Chargers make up a lot of the cost of cordless powertools, so choose a brand & range that allows you to share the battery and that would give you good flexibility.
I have various tools in the Ryobi One+ kit 18V format; and also some tools in the lighter Bosch 12V Blue "Easy" Range.

I have the Aldi 20v drill, spare batteries are £15 and it is quite a powerful drill, it has a soft start trigger as well so good for screwdriving

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/diy/parkside-20v-cordless-drill-set/p35998 i've got one of these and i'm quite impressed ,as good as my makitas and you can get the impact driver and jigsaw ,without batteries for about 30-40 quid each ,and buy as many of these interchangeable batteries as you want. all good kit ,made by Einhell , a reasonably god German maker . i was using the drill with a polishing mop yesterday .

Never ever buy a black& decker as they run to fast and burn out bits , never mind themselves, many new battery drills are very good if you have a second battery to back up, if going cable then makita bosch wolf etc are very good buys.

My Makitacordless drill/impacter is the best piece of kit I ever owned. 18v bought 2nd hand for 25quid with 2x 5ah bateries, now got a nearly new 18v angle grinder to complete the set. Highly recommended

I have cordless Makita and Ryobi drills , both have 2 off Lithium batteries very powerful drills lots of torck , great for screw driving and drilling both have hammer action too, both came in a super zipped cases with a charger and 2 batteries each. I got the Ryobi from a boot sale for £20 absolute bargain as it looked brand new and I was a bit apprehensive about buying it at the time but was assured by the seller that it was legit so I bought it, great bit of kit, My wife likes restoring furniture and has several palm sanders that she loves they work very well for removing old paint and varnish from wood and also have polishing wheel attachments too, I also have a Black and Decker mains drill that is the business I used it recently with a Plaster mixing attachment to mix some Plaster for a wall I was replastering, it worked very well, it is a heavy large item but gets the job done, it also hammers I also used it recently to cut a hole 4 inch diameter through two brick walls and cavity with a brick cutting hole saw to insert a waste pipe for a new toilet I fitted, lovely clean hole and little mess. the right tool for the job makes life much easier especially if you are just a DIY er as I am.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fortunately having worked for Dewalt / Black & Decker my workshop is full of more or less every bit of kit Dewalt made.
Most of it is 20 years + old which is when I left Dewalt but nearly all still going strong.
Had one attempted break in over the years but the alarm made them run off closely followed by my bullterrier lol !

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back