Drive away awning, what to go for?

Millie Master

After nearly 6 years since building our LWB medium roof Renault Master conversion we have finally decided to consider getting a drive away awning.

So what should we go for inflatable or rigid and is there one large enough that will fit the side of the van when the side door is fully open?
By the way, there isn't any kind of awning channel, so for the attachment to the van I believe I will have to get one with straps that throw over the top of the van (missing the solar panel) to peg down on the other side.

What about a non attached gazebo ?
Then if on a site proper driveaway and leave up ?
Yes that is on my mind, we used to have one or two people stopping with us who used them with zip in sides, but my cause for concern is the storage of the poles etc., whereas an inflatable doesn't have that problem.

What about a non attached gazebo ?
Then if on a site proper driveaway and leave up ?
This is what we’ve decided to get. I use easy-up gazebo type tents with my work and they’re great. It’s all in the name... the only problem being that compared to an inflatable type, they’re a tad heavy.

Yes that is on my mind, we used to have one or two people stopping with us who used them with zip in sides, but my cause for concern is the storage of the poles etc., whereas an inflatable doesn't have that problem.
I am guessing the ones you have seen with the zip-in sides are the Coleman Event Shelters? They are pretty good but take a while to erect. Usually see a group of around 4 people putting those up and arguing with each other how to do it when I am at shows :)

how LONG a storage area have you to put a packed away gazebo/awning?

I used to use a heavy-duty pop-up marquee/gazebo but it was getting just too much hassle and heavy for one person to erect.
I swicthed to what I am guessing Red Dwarf might be referring to as an 'easy-up' gazebo, however the ones I have are not very heavy I think.

If you are happy with a non-attached type, check out the Quest Screenhouses.
This is the Screenhouse 4+4 model I bought last summer (but never got to take anywhere)
It is around 2.4M x 4.8M
1614360245421.png
You can also get a Screenhouse 4, which is half the above and so 2.4M x 2.4M

I also have the Screenhouse 6, which is a hexagonal 6-sized model, around 3M x 3M.

They all are very quick to erect (under 5 mins to push up for one person and initially peg out). The only real downside is that they need around 6 foot of stowage space (when I took my Screenhouse 6 to a campsite last Sept, I just put it on the bike rack).

We already had a three person tent which we take with us if planning on staying in a camp site for a few days. The lift up front door attached to the roof rail on the van quite easily, it is lighter and easier to put up than some awnings , can be used by guests to sleep in. If no guests we left out the inner sleeping tent. Cons....open at sides on connection, harder than an easy up awning. Thought about buying an awning instead, but seemed an unnecessary expense at the moment.

We use a khyam quick erect drive away
awning, easy to put up with 2 people (or 1 at a pinch).
We also have a khyam quick erect drive away awning had it a few years now and it's so easy to erect we also don't have a awning rail so bought a kampa limpet drive away suction kit which works fine

We use a khyam quick erect drive away
awning, easy to put up with 2 people (or 1 at a pinch).
But, correct me if I am wrong, most of those are for VW vans and mine is quite considerably taller than they are.

After nearly 6 years since building our LWB medium roof Renault Master conversion we have finally decided to consider getting a drive away awning.

So what should we go for inflatable or rigid and is there one large enough that will fit the side of the van when the side door is fully open?
By the way, there isn't any kind of awning channel, so for the attachment to the van I believe I will have to get one with straps that throw over the top of the van (missing the solar panel) to peg down on the other side.
We started off with a Pop-Up gazebo by the side of our SWB Transit. The zips weren't up to strong winds so we replaced them. We usually spend 5 - 6 months in Portugal and it gets cold at night even on the Algarve - so we made a ground sheet which was velcro'd to the sides, about 30 cms up the wall. This lasted for about 4 winters - but the gazebos had a design fault - the windows couldn't take 100 km per hour winds.

We decided to replace it with a Vango Gailli Low (they come in 3 heights). It attaches with a Kador Rail to a C-section channel glued/screwed to the van roof. No problem with the side-door opening. We're on our second one now -the first one lasted 4 Winters (i.e. about 22 months) before the UV got it. The figure- of- 8 rail slides out and off you go - making sure that you've left some markers to help you drive back into precisely the same distance from the awning.

The Galli has been in some quite big storms - we detach it from the van when it's really windy so that the air-beams can deform and spring back up. They are not cheap (about £900) but they are heeuuuge inside and the section between the van and the tent is a great place to store bikes etc. I reckon our costs about £1.50 per night - and is well worth it.

We've used our khyam drive away on a coach built using the awning rail and like previously said attached using a limpet suction kit to our low roof relay we have now if you can reach the rooftop on your van you should be able to use the limpet suction kit the other option is to fit an awning rail to your van available on eBay we would have gone that route if the limpet kit hadn't have worked

For many years we were very happy with our Vango Galli. It is inflatable and very sturdy even when used as a standalone awning/tent.

It has a ground sheet built in in addition to a ground sheet/carpet/internal bedroom plus of course the attachments to the van.

It is for sale at the present time in Wales.

We have an LWB Renault Master
We use a garden umbrella with stand. It marks our base and serves as a comfortable place to enjoy a glass with nibbles.

We have used a Gazebo for over 10 years. Cost about £70 and is the best £70 I have ever spent. It can be used without sides, with 1, 2, 3, or all 4 sides. It is lightweight and I can put it up in a few minutes single handed. It can be taken down even quicker. Ours is 2.5 metres square, which is plenty big enough for us.

We had a commercial quality pop up framed tent and that lasted a few years. Damage was done by helpers you didn't know how things moved. The roof remained on the frame and then a bag went over the top. It was a big heavy lump. Also embers from BBQ's and open fires left holes in the canopy. The frame work couldn't cope with high winds, lots of strapping down was required.
When we moved the Doncaster we purchased another same sort of thing locally, they claimed to be the best!. Although the frame was aluminium it was much bigger. The canopy had to be removed. Worst of all it turned out not to be waterproof! We complained and they claimed it was condensation. Criminals!
We then decided to make our own, much more work work and money. Longer to construct, but water and storm proof. Zips not wonderful, but I think that's the nature of the beast. All the frame work is stored under the floor in Murky.

Two bays used in France.

IMG_0635.JPG

Three bays used at a club meeting for hospitality.

IMG_0654.JPG

Looks similar to the gazebo I had for last 8 years and sold last summer as just wasn't using any more.

I replaced the roof a couple of years ago and if I were to keep it, I would have replaced the walls. These are temporary structures and things do age when out in the elements.
The framing was still perfect though and the guy I sold it to was well chuffed when it was delivered!
It is the frames that usually are the weak point - the amount of pop-ups I have seen dumped at Festivals due to being not up to the environment is shocking. I remember helping someone at a show at Harewood House in Leeds with their Gazebo. Advised them they really should leave it down due to the winds but they insisted as had to be ready to use first thing in the morning, so gave them a hand. Next morning it was a crumpled mess of course - no surprise there.
I remember mine catching the wind as I was putting in up in Alnwick... rolled right over, but no damage at all due to very strong frame.
(FWIW, mine was from TFH Gazebos - Think I went for the S40 range as a balance between strength and weight)

Something I found last year with mine when I put it up the garden ... The tie-down strap material had weakened considerably and the next day I found two straps broken. When I checked the others, I found I could actually break them if I pulled hard enough! I am guessing the effect of sun and rain over the years. I would check the straps carefully every use now as it really surprised me - new straps are cheap enough not to not replace.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back