Driving Petition

Brakers

Hi All I saw this on another forum not sure if it’s been posted already.
Noticed this on another forum posted from RVOC and knowing the interest on here in the past thought it might be of interest for some to sign to review motorhome licence status at age 70+.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241254
Best Wishes Tony

Lots of sympathy for anyone with Parkinsons, my Father in Law died from it recently. However, I am not sure this petition goes about the issue in the right way. There are many health conditions that the DVLA have to be notified about and this applies to normal licenses as well as the C1 entitlement. If the system needs reviewing picking out one particular ailment among many is perhaps the wrong way to approach it.

The C1 entitlement is a concession to my age group which is not available to younger drivers. At 70 we all have to pay for 3 yearly medicals if we want to keep it and sadly those who have potentially progressive diseases may be rquired to have more frequent medicals. Lots of issues involved.

The B1 towing allowance appears anomalous on the face of it but it does open up opportunities too. I am in the process of downsizing to below 3500kg to avoid the license issues but I can put my heavier payload in a trailer and stay legal while still having access to bikes and other goodies. If we rattle too many cages we might find the current concessions further limited. The national mood may be moving towards more age and health restrictions rather than fewer.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back