Drop Down Double Bed.

Wooie1958

We are seriously think of converting a panel van but it would have to have 2 X double beds.

I`m thinking one transversely at the rear with storage and or water tank and or gas locker etc. underneath it and a drop down one over the lounge at the front.

Is there a reliable mechanism out there to achieve this ?

One concern i have is that when the lounge drop down bed is lowered will it stop us being able to exit it safely if needed ?

Weight would not be a problem because i`d be looking at a 4,500kg or 5,000kg vehicle.

Think it will be tricky.
If going for current vans, a transverse bed means only the Sevel vans are wide enough unless you can work with a bed length of maybe 5' 8" or less. You can get flares for the Sprinters and Crafters to increase the width around window level.
As you are noted, a drop down at the front will block the sliding door

I think similaar to Yorklass - a rear double, converted from two benches, with another double that comes down when required, on a highest roof version on the Sevel platform sounds the most doable :)

What type of van are you going for and height and length to have 2 drop down beds, are you having units for storage fixed to your beds that drop down , ? Are you having a toilet shower kitchen units, compromise is key to a van conversion, and look forward to replys, I have a sprinter extra long wheels base, and il will have 1 fixed double bed, but won't be much more than a good single, kitchen in front of fixed bedcoming over side door, toilet opposite fixed bed, a 6 foot seat that pulls out into bed opposite side door, possible using drivers seat to make it even longer, compromise compromise best of luck and will be good reading

Although it never got fitted, I made an aluminium framed drop down bed for a friend. It was to be fitted to a very large 1970's Iveco panel van. This too was going to be mounted so that when deployed it would use the cab space. My fear was it would swing down and kill him whilst driving. After his first adventure in Europe in the van he lost interest in motor homing. The project was abandoned. I some years later repurposed the bed frame for use in Murky. It's rigid mounted and provides stiffness to the bus.

Have you considered double bunks at the rear? A number of PVCs have this design and it's an interesting use of space

Does it have to be two doubles , or would 1 double , and 2 singles do the job , as much easier to set up in a xlwb panel van .

Does it have to be two doubles , or would 1 double , and 2 singles do the job , as much easier to set up in a xlwb panel van .

It needs to be 2 X double beds, 1 fixed at the rear and the drop down one at the front then they are both a better height for access.

Do you intend to use the cab area as part of the parked up seating area? If not you may be interested in a drop down bed variant that I have devised. It’s a bit Heath Robinson but works for us and can be easily removed if we decide to use the traditional make up nightly bed arrangement. In effect when not in use the bed lifts up and acts like a bulkhead up against the cab seats. We still have access to the sliding door and lounge seats during the day. It uses a modified french bed frame and mattress. If it’s of interest to you I can give more info

we would be interested in seeing more about this. we do have a drop down 2nd double bed in our Master but are about to start the relay conversion . we are away not in the van but can send pics of master bed when we get home

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back