Dual reversing camera fault.

Col49

I have a dual reversing camera bought from a show; fitted to my motorhome. The monitor fits over the rear view mirror. I am OK with the long rear view shot; but not the down shot that shows the rear of the motorhome when reversing. Most of the time the screen will show blank on the down shot; yet occasionally at other times it will work; which would seem to indicate that it is a wiring fault rather than a camera fault. Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

If it is intermittent is there anything in common when it works? Is the down view wired so it is only on when in reverse? Are the connections onto the monitor right in and not loose also any other connections?

When it works; there is the down shot when gear is put into reverse. The shot where it acts as a rear view mirror works all the time; but the screen goes blue when put into reverse. Then other times it will work. Unfortunately the system was fitted by an auto electrician; so I am not aware where the connections are. It does sound like a loose connection; which does occasionally sometimes work.

If the down works when in reverse all the time then they have probably wired it that way maybe? I only have one camera that is on all the time so not sure how others do it but have seen where the long view is on when not in reverse and down off then when in reverse they switch. Mirrors and down camera for reversing sounds right to me if thats what you are getting but as I say I only have one so dont really know.

Can you speak with the folks who fitted it to check? I dont think there are any regs that say it has to work that way but it may be something like the screen will only display one image? Is it a branded make and model where we could check for a user manual?

If the down works when in reverse all the time then they have probably wired it that way maybe? I only have one camera that is on all the time so not sure how others do it but have seen where the long view is on when not in reverse and down off then when in reverse they switch. Mirrors and down camera for reversing sounds right to me if thats what you are getting but as I say I only have one so dont really know.

Can you speak with the folks who fitted it to check? I dont think there are any regs that say it has to work that way but it may be something like the screen will only display one image? Is it a branded make and model where we could check for a user manual?

Basically you are right; one camera shows the view of the traffic behind as you drive along; but the down camera only comes into action when in reverse. It is this that shows blank; (or blue no signal on the screen when in reverse). Trouble is; that occasionally the screen will function in both modes when the down camera will work; only to fail again the next time it is put into reverse. Problem is; that I bought the system a few years ago at a stall at the Lincoln Motorhome show. The system was fitted by someone they recommended and it has worked perfectly for a year or two. The guy who fitted it; did so at the storage site; and I no longer have his details. Maybe the best bet would be to have it checked by my local motorhome service garage, although I am not so sure just how keen they will be to check a system that they have not fitted. If the system failed completely; it would probable much easier; one would just by a new one; but intermittent problems can be an headache. (The firm that sold it also sell TVs and other products; and are often seen at a few motorhome shows. But the instruction manual is very basic and does not show fitting instructions.) I suppose that the reversing side is wired into that system at some point; but I am not up enough to know where that point is.

A half decent auto electrician should be able to have a look and sort it for you. If you don’t know one see if you can get recommendations for someone local to you, takes a bit of worry off if you know it’s someone who does a good job.

A half decent auto electrician should be able to have a look and sort it for you. If you don’t know one see if you can get recommendations for someone local to you, takes a bit of worry off if you know it’s someone who does a good job.

Yes will do. Habitation service and MOT due next Tuesday; so will ask them to check it out then. Found this firm in Bridlington who do the lot; habitation; mechanical service; as well as sales of motorhomes. Used them for the first time in January this year for engine service; so hopefully they can sort things out with the camera system.

It sounds to me like it has been fitted correctly and is operating correctly if the screen is always shows the down image, but only when in reverse and it shows it every time, in the kit there is a specific wire which goes to the reversing light switch on the gearbox, I never bother with this as I prefer to switch it manually, as I sometimes tow, and like to see all is well before setting off or en route.

As for where the connections are, there are somewhere close to the monitor, and at the rear of the camera inside the van, so should be fairly easy to locate.

Most likely fault is a bad earth or bad joint. Remove the rear light unit (the one with the reversing light in it) and check the connections. If they are OK then check the wiring from the camera that enters the rear of the vehicle. There will be connections just inside the rear panel.

It sounds to me like it has been fitted correctly and is operating correctly if the screen is always shows the down image, but only when in reverse and it shows it every time, in the kit there is a specific wire which goes to the reversing light switch on the gearbox, I never bother with this as I prefer to switch it manually, as I sometimes tow, and like to see all is well before setting off or en route.

As for where the connections are, there are somewhere close to the monitor, and at the rear of the camera inside the van, so should be fairly easy to locate.

Yes it was fitted about five years ago; and worked perfectly until a few months back. I had it fitted so don't know much about the connections. I never met the engineer who fitted it; as the firm I bought it from arrange for him to fit it at the storage compound. Basically you can see the traffic behind while driving; but when you put it in reverse; the down shot is dark. I went in the motorhome yesterday; put it in reverse several times and it worked perfectly. Then it suddenly went dark; you could just make out the tow bar; but hardly enough to reverse. My system doesn't have a manual option for reverse; but I will check the rest of the things you suggest. Many thanks.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back