Ducato 3.5ton tyre pressures

Carrerasax

Ducato 3.5ton tyre pressures

what should tyre pressures be?

door label says 79psi but when I checked only 69psi although they were cold?

Fiat ducato bessacarr 3.5 tin. Off to Spain next week.

should they be any different if it’s warm? Or not this time of year?

Any helpful advice appreciated.

The most accurate way to find out the recommended tyre pressure is to contact the tyre manufacturer,tell them the axle weights,mgvw and tyre details,then ask them for recommended tyre pressures.
I have the michelin agilis camping which are rated at a maximum pressure of 80psi,but I have now settled on 60 front/65 rear which gives a more comfortable ride.When I first got the van the tyre pressures were 80psi all round which tended to loosen a few fillings.

Totally agree with wak, or the method I used with my previous van was the weighbridge fully loaded and then apply the individual axle weights to this site.

https://www.tyresafe.org/check-your-pressures/motorhomes/

however there seems to be a trend now for the tyre manufacturers of camper specific tyres to state 80 psi on the rear, irrespective of axle weight, although I haven’t seen a definitive reason for this advice, particularly since the pressures can be lower on the front.

one theory I have read seems to revolve around the assumption (right or wrong) that many vans are run at near or over their plated weight and that since most weight is over the rear axle these tyres need to be fully inflated. Wether or not this is a way of the manufacturers trying to indemnify themselves is conjecture, but a good theory.

Davy

TeamRienza;n14592 said:
Totally agree with wak, or the method I used with my previous van was the weighbridge fully loaded and then apply the individual axle weights to this site.

https://www.tyresafe.org/check-your-pressures/motorhomes/

however there seems to be a trend now for the tyre manufacturers of camper specific tyres to state 80 psi on the rear, irrespective of axle weight, although I haven’t seen a definitive reason for this advice, particularly since the pressures can be lower on the front.

one theory I have read seems to revolve around the assumption (right or wrong) that many vans are run at near or over their plated weight and that since most weight is over the rear axle these tyres need to be fully inflated. Wether or not this is a way of the manufacturers trying to indemnify themselves is conjecture, but a good theory.

Davy

Most likely because it's just easier to say "XXpsi" to everyone than to explain the complicated (not really) maths required to work out the actual correct pressure.

People like things to be simple, unfortunately for them, life is often complex.

Yep, weighbridge and contact the tyre manufacturer. Probelm with the tyre-safe on-line calculator is that it seams to be only 80psi for whatever figure you put in fir the rear axle (I'm told Michelin do the same when asked. I may have that wrong but I've attached (hopefully) motorhome-leaflet.pdf is my saved copy of the Tyresafe booklet. Continental also seam to have removed their charts so hopefully here is a copy of that Continental-tech_databook_cz.pdf

Attachments

• motorhome-leaflet.pdf
    745.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Continental-tech_databook_cz.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Ours are the continental camper ones.
useful advice ta.
are weigh bridges generally available??

You need to weigh the vehicle fully (holiday) mode at a weighbridge - usually around a fiver - and find the front and rear axle weights.

Then look at the Tyresafe chart and work out which pressures are right for the tyres you have.

My tyres, using the chart, are Vanco Continental Tyres 215/70R 15CP 109R and I run them at 51psi Front and 61psi Rear.

If you run them at 80psi you'll need to make sure your false teeth are well fitted and the cups and saucers are not breakable.

Something to be aware of with Ducatos with their higher pressures is you will often need high pressure tyre valves not the standard car type

eg a TR600 instead of a TR414

Carrerasax;n14577 said:
what should tyre pressures be?

door label says 79psi but when I checked only 69psi although they were cold?

Fiat ducato bessacarr 3.5 tin. Off to Spain next week.

should they be any different if it’s warm? Or not this time of year?

Any helpful advice appreciated.

Hi

As others have said its down to axle weights fully loaded, and the tyre type. If you have Continental Vanco CP tyres 215, 70, R15 CP then these figures as emailed to me by Continental for our Bessacarr E412, and our specific axle weights may be of interest. As you will see they are a long way lower than recommended by Fiat whose label is probably affixed before anyone knows how the van will be fitted out or loaded. Running at the Fiat recommended pressures its like driving on concrete wheels, and there's so little rubber on the road they slip or dig in and spin on anything vaguely shiny or soft. Continentals recommended pressures give a much more gentle ride and less slipping.

Barge1914;n14647 said:
Hi

As others have said its down to axle weights fully loaded, and the tyre type. If you have Continental Vanco CP tyres 215, 70, R15 CP then these figures as emailed to me by Continental for our Bessacarr E412, and our specific axle weights may be of interest. As you will see they are a long way lower than recommended by Fiat whose label is probably affixed before anyone knows how the van will be fitted out or loaded. Running at the Fiat recommended pressures its like driving on concrete wheels, and there's so little rubber on the road they slip or dig in and spin on anything vaguely shiny or soft. Continentals recommended pressures give a much more gentle ride and less slipping.

oops...forgot the figures..

Front axle - 1400 kg = Camper CP 109R 3 bar / 43.5 Psi (max load 1425 kg) 1750 kg = 4.0 Bar / 58.0 Psi (max load 1795 kg)
Vanco Winter 2 109/107R 3 bar / 43.5 Psi (max load 1490 kg) = 3.75 Bar / 54.3 Psi (max load 1780 kg)

Rear axle - 1950 kg = Camper CP 109R 5.25 Bar / 76.1 Psi (max load 1985 kg) 2000 kg = 5.5 Bar / 79.7 Psi (max load 2060 kg)
Vanco Winter 2 109/107R 4.25 Bar / 61.6 Psi (max load 1970 kg) = 4.5 Bar / 65.2 Psi (max load 2060 kg)

Mine are 225/75R16 CP116R but I don’t seem to. Be able to get them to come up on the search?

This says 80 rear but I’m sure tyre wall says 69 max!!!!
51front

very confusing to mechanical numpty!!!!

Carrerasax;n14614 said:
Ours are the continental camper ones.
useful advice ta.
are weigh bridges generally available??

Most builders merchants have weigh bridges for buyers buying materials such as gravel. If you go in when they aren't busy you might persuade them to read off the numbers for you.
​​​

I have previously struggled with tyre pressures which made the ride almost unbearable. I loaded the motorhome up to the travelling weight fuel, water etc and went to my local public weighbridge. They weighed the front axle, rear axle and gross vehicle weight. The cost was £5 for an official note or free if I only wanted them written down.

I then sent the following to Continental :

We own a Dethleffs single axle Esprit A class motorhome. It has recently been weighed fully laden for touring. The weights are running weight 3,913kg (GVW 4,000kg), front axle 1,820kg (Max 2,100kg), rear axle 2,000kg (Max 2,400kg). Our tyres are VancoCamper 225/75/R16 - 116. Please could you advise the correct tyre pressures based on our running weights.

They came back with a very helpful response which included the following chart attached below

Attachments

• photo1307.jpg
    photo1307.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 47

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back