Ducato spare wheel carrier recall from 2011

Vanterrier

I have just read of a 2011 recall of Sevel built vans for the spare wheel carrier.
Ducatos affected were VIN range ZFA25000001000371 to 1789440 and mine is in that range.
I have no idea if my van has been checked and/or corrected so have asked a fiat main dealer to advise.
Does anyone remember what the symptoms of the failure are and has anyone had remedial work done?
K :(

My van was subject to this recall. The spare wheel carrier was removed and replaced with a completely different type with access to the winding mechanism near the offside rear wheel rather than from the rear of the van. The "new" spare wheel carrier seized up a couple of years later. I contacted Fiat and asked them to pay for a replacement but they refused. The replacement which was fitted at my expense appears to be of the same type that the van was fitted with prior to the recall. All extremely unsatisfactory.

Last edited:
Had ours done several years ago still all OK used once a year it used to wind from the rear the new one now winds from behind the o/s/r wheel
The symptoms where the carrier failing and spare wheel becoming detached

Mine might have been done then as mine winds down from behind the o/s/r wheel.
Thanks
K;)

I was able to buy a replacement from a helpful forum member eurajohn and fitted it myself.

What every one needs to be aware of is that a lot of the Fiat faulty removed ones are available on ebay etc there was a warning published at the time I had mine replaced

As I have the one with the access behind the o/s/r wheel with the five sided tool, I appear to have the latest one as fitted as a replacement so my initial fears have gone away.
As part of my familiarisation with a new (to me) van I had removed and replaced the spare wheel soon after I got it last November. Just as well, as the locking nut on the carrier that locates on the wheel itself had seized solid and had to be destroyed to remove, that would have been fun by the roadside in the dark on a wet and cold night (not). The replacement was well greased.
Always worth checking I think.
K ;)

Got an email back from N.E. Truck and Vans confirming my van was done 19/12/2012.

Sorted

K ;)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back