Duvalay problem

Gitana

Free Member

Anyone else on here had problems with a Duvalay mattress?

We bought a new motorhome late I n 2014. It had a Duvalay mattress as standard. It was really comfortable at first. But it’s got increasingly uncomfortable and developed massive dips. We’ve turned it but it’s now really uncomfortable. It’s got much worse on our trips this year. I keep a log of our trips ( yes, sad I know?) and we’ve only spent 312 nights in the van in just over 4 years of ownership.

I contacted Duvalay,who asked me to send photos of the mattress with something straight, like a broom shank over the furrows so they could see the extent of the problem. When I sent them I called them to check they’d received them and that they were clear enough. The girl who took my call said they showed the problem very clearly. However I was gutted at their response to my request for a replacement. They say that they offer a 3 year warranty and so the best they can do is offer 30% discount. I had already explained how little it had been used.

I’m still waiting to hear how much they will charge for a replacement. But I’m not inclined to pay again for a so called premium product that can’t take the equivalent of less than a year’s use.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? How have you resolved them? Any recommendations for alternatives to Duvalay?

Thanks

What a let down Gina :cry: Duvalay are always thought of as a real premium product. Might be worth persevering for a better discount on a replacement, especially if you can work out from your diary roughly how many nights it's been used... I think they'd be shocked.

Meanwhile, try a memory foam mattress topper over your current Duvalay... it'll really help to even out the dips and give you a bit more support and comfort. Get a standard size one, 2 or 3 inches thick, that more or less fits, do a paper template and you'll be able to cut the topper to shape easily enough (if not perfectly smoothly) with a large, really sharp knife or big scissors. I never go for really expensive ones - look for cheapish ones on Amazon - but I would definitely buy a Coolmax zip-on cover for it because trying to get a sheet on bare memory foam is like trying to push a cat in a pillowcase... alledgedly :oops: Good luck.

We bought a new motorhome late I n 2014. It had a Duvalay mattress as standard. It was really comfortable at first. But it’s got increasingly uncomfortable and developed massive dips. We’ve turned it but it’s now really uncomfortable. It’s got much worse on our trips this year. I keep a log of our trips ( yes, sad I know?) and we’ve only spent 312 nights in the van in just over 4 years of ownership.

I contacted Duvalay,who asked me to send photos of the mattress with something straight, like a broom shank over the furrows so they could see the extent of the problem. When I sent them I called them to check they’d received them and that they were clear enough. The girl who took my call said they showed the problem very clearly. However I was gutted at their response to my request for a replacement. They say that they offer a 3 year warranty and so the best they can do is offer 30% discount. I had already explained how little it had been used.

I’m still waiting to hear how much they will charge for a replacement. But I’m not inclined to pay again for a so called premium product that can’t take the equivalent of less than a year’s use.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? How have you resolved them? Any recommendations for alternatives to Duvalay?

Thanks
wood eye lie 2 u , ok pj

What a let down Gina :cry: Duvalay are always thought of as a real premium product. Might be worth persevering for a better discount on a replacement, especially if you can work out from your diary roughly how many nights it's been used... I think they'd be shocked.

Meanwhile, try a memory foam mattress topper over your current Duvalay... it'll really help to even out the dips and give you a bit more support and comfort. Get a standard size one, 2 or 3 inches thick, that more or less fits, do a paper template and you'll be able to cut the topper to shape easily enough (if not perfectly smoothly) with a large, really sharp knife or big scissors. I never go for really expensive ones - look for cheapish ones on Amazon - but I would definitely buy a Coolmax zip-on cover for it because trying to get a sheet on bare memory foam is like trying to push a cat in a pillowcase... alledgedly :oops: Good luck.
mite even leve u flat ,pj

Thanks for suggestions. As I said in the post I knew exactly how many nights the mattress had been slept on (312) and I told them. I did wonder about a mattress topper but the dips in the mattress are so bad that only a very thick one is likely to fill them as you can see from the photo of one of the dips below.

Attachments

• 320417D6-764A-405A-BE3F-473FA9F01F44.jpeg
    320417D6-764A-405A-BE3F-473FA9F01F44.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 38
Why make something really durable? How many people out of the countless thousands they sell to can reliably say how long an item has been used? Perhaps you could try to use the Sale of Goods Act as a bargaining point and suggest that an expensive item should have a longer life expectancy?

I'm wondering if you should Rae... I've had my van mattress toppers for the best part of double that amount of time , house ones for longer, and there's no sign of them giving up at all. Sounds to me as if Duvalays just aren't durable.
That’s why they aren’t called Duralays Jennie. Sorry I couldn’t resist :)

I don't have a fixed bed so use a domestic ( ikea) memory foam topper to even out the bed. Very easy to cut to size/shape with a hot knife.

I would look for a bigger good quality foam mattress (probably not a memory foam one) and cut it down to size with a Stanley knife.

I suppose the durability of a product such as a mattress is directly related to the job it has to do?

Surely a mattress supporting a flea weight will last far, far longer than one which is supporting a jumbo, as such I feel sorry for any mattress manufacturer when it comes to writing their warranty periods.

Mine is a self built van and our bed which doubles as a sofa has a green coloured dense foam that is 12.5cm thick, 4 years of quite heavy use later and the foam is as good now as when it was new.

I would look for a bigger good quality foam mattress (probably not a memory foam one) and cut it down to size with a Stanley knife.
First part ... good idea
Second part .... sounds like a good idea UNTIL you try to cut foam with a stanley knife. (been there, made the mistake).
Just about the only way to do it without professional kit is an electric Carving knife. With those, cutting foam is a doddle (some weeks I cut around 20 foot of foam)

We have a Posture Form mattress in the bus and I cut it to length with an electric carving knife, easy and accurate

First part ... good idea
Second part .... sounds like a good idea UNTIL you try to cut foam with a stanley knife. (been there, made the mistake).
Just about the only way to do it without professional kit is an electric Carving knife. With those, cutting foam is a doddle (some weeks I cut around 20 foot of foam)
It certainly is a long slow job with a stanley knife, but I have done it successfully. You need to cut to size one blade deep each pass. If you have an electric carving knofe, that is definitely far easier.

I agree HD. I've managed with a huge, sharp carving knife in the past... same principle, harder work! Electric would definitely be the way to go.... if I had one.

Thanks
We had a Duvalay mattress in our caravan, it was very uncomfortable. I purchased a 3in double memory foam topper and used a bread knife to cut it to shape I added a mattress protector then an extra deep fitted sheet. We had a great nights sleep after that. This is a lot cheaper than a new mattress and a lot more comfortable.

Out of interest, would you really say 312 nights out in 4 years is very little? I would have thought it represented a lot lot more than the typical user.
Yes, it is under a years continuous use, but how many motorhome/camping products are designed for the same level of use as in the home? ok, maybe the answer is yes they should, but talking reality. A mattress you buy for the home is usually guaranteed for a minimum of 10 years and some to 25 years - compare that to 3 years and I guess that shows you expections of longevity?

Just realised commented on a 2 year old post :) ah well :D

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back