Efoy fuel cells

Carrotts

Hi all. Well I have just heard about effigy fuel cells (thanks okta ). What do you know about them. Think of them. Compared to lithium. How do they work etc. Looked on internet but got confused with their descriptions. Thanks all. Brian ps if they are so good how come more mhomers don't have them. Brian

pm wully he had it fitted couple of years ago he can give you heads up

Better than a genny..but costly.
However over say 5 years the installation cost is ok.
And you are fully independent...assuming you have the fuel...for serious longterm wilding in winter...a go-er. IMO
In some ways like paying for lpg kit.
All about how long you will use it for !

Last edited:
Hi all. Well I have just heard about effigy fuel cells (thanks okta ). What do you know about them. Think of them. Compared to lithium. How do they work etc. Looked on internet but got confused with their descriptions. Thanks all. Brian ps if they are so good how come more mhomers don't have them. Brian

To answer your last point first EFOY fuel cells are not cheap and the neither is their fuel. Many would argue solar is cheaper to install and free to run.

I chose an EFOY because it can run at any time of day or night and all through winter. I keep my motorhome in storage with no mains available and I wanted something I could rely on when the sun isn’t shining. I have other reasons too, such as weight but will not list them now. Like solar the EFOY is silent, I can hear it click and hum if I stick my head in the locker while it is running but it is not enough to disturb anyone. It pushes out a steady 5 or 6 Amps and recharges my single lithium battery in 6 or 7 hours, I use about 35Ah a day. The fuel costs £5 a litre and I use a bit less than 0.5 litres per day, so by my reckoning it is probably cheaper to run than paying for a hook up but more expensive than solar. I don’t find I need a second battery because the first one never goes flat.

Link
I negotiated a better price with the dealer I bought the motorhome from.

Last edited:
Loosercruiser ( wully) has one drop him a line and he maybe able to help

Just seen this I’ve got the 140 model Ive had it just over a year now as said it can probably work out the most expensive way to charge a 12v battery. But the technology is great when you’re sleeping it’s charging you’re batteries silently with no fumes or by product just a bit of distilled water. But don’t get it confused with a generator it will only charge your batteries a lot of people think they can run electrics straight from it. Truthfully I think I jumped the gun when I bought it I’ve since fitted two solar panels and a couple of lithium batteries and they make the efoy a bit redundant but it’s still there for back up when the suns not playing ball. They are perfect for anyone wild camping or off grid a lot in winter.

hi Wully. Interested in your setup. What Solars. Batteries. Chargers. Monitors b2b or. What's your setup.

Hi carrots it’s all a bit of a mish mash and no skill at electrics on my behalf I just pick things up on here with not having the skill as an electrician I tend to make a problem I don’t have then try buying my way out. I’ve Defanetly overthought things. My set up is two rellion 100 amp lithiam batteries. Two 140 watt solar panels. With a victron Bluetooth solar controller. The efoy is fitted in the background it comes on automatically once the batteries drop to a certain point but with the lithium batteries i haven’t got round to changing the settings because they show 13 volts right to the end. so I turn it on and off manually using Bluetooth. Got all this running through a victron 712 smart monitor. I had a fair bit of advice and help from phil admin. The efoy is an expensive piece of kit but I do like the piece of mind that it gives if I have it ten years with light use then it’s done it’s job.

The latest Efoy firmware has a Lithium option and a range of appropriate settings. I use different settings when the motorhome is in storage because the Li doesn’t need to be fully charged, just enough to power the engine battery maintainer which turns on for 1 hour every day. When away I set it to fully charge the Li.

Efoy can supply a free firmware updater, which you post back to them after using it.

Hi carrots it’s all a bit of a mish mash and no skill at electrics on my behalf I just pick things up on here with not having the skill as an electrician I tend to make a problem I don’t have then try buying my way out. I’ve Defanetly overthought things. My set up is two rellion 100 amp lithiam batteries. Two 140 watt solar panels. With a victron Bluetooth solar controller. The efoy is fitted in the background it comes on automatically once the batteries drop to a certain point but with the lithium batteries i haven’t got round to changing the settings because they show 13 volts right to the end. so I turn it on and off manually using Bluetooth. Got all this running through a victron 712 smart monitor. I had a fair bit of advice and help from phil admin. The efoy is an expensive piece of kit but I do like the piece of mind that it gives if I have it ten years with light use then it’s done it’s job.
Have you a photo of your EFOY kit in place? I've never actually seen one of these setups and intrigued what it looks like in place.
From your description it sounds like a spot-on backup battery setup (and the 712 with its built-in relay would make it very simple to incorporate an EFOY auto-start if the battery State of Charge (SOC) drops to a selected level if you wanted to do that rather than manually turn on and off)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back