Electric going off

Hazel

Free Member

We went away recently and our electric kept tripping off. We rang choose leisure and their electric expert snd he said the battery was getting over full? Has anyone heard of this. ?
The electric would then come back on about 4 and go off again in the morning every day. We have a solar panel but disconnected that on the advice of electric man.

We went away recently and our electric kept tripping off. We rang choose leisure and their electric expert snd he said the battery was getting over full? Has anyone heard of this. ?
The electric would then come back on about 4 and go off again in the morning every day. We have a solar panel but disconnected that on the advice of electric man.
I've just plugged into electricity for the first time in over 5 years, so no great experience with this. Were you on a campsite? Were other people similarly affected? Seems strange that it should be consistently time-related if it's the motorhome.

I had a similar problem ,i put it down to over charging from portable solar panel reaching 15,6 volts , triping out sargent comtrole panel . Changed sollar controller ,hope to test this week.

I've just plugged into electricity for the first time in over 5 years, so no great experience with this. Were you on a campsite? Were other people similarly affected? Seems strange that it should be consistently time-related if it's the motorhome.
Yes it was very strange the next answer is what the electric msn said
I had a similar problem ,i put it down to over charging from portable solar panel reaching 15,6 volts , triping out sargent comtrole panel . Changed sollar controller ,hope to test this week.
sounds the same please let us know if you solve it.

So Hazel is your solar a plug in portable type ?

And leave the solar disconnected to see what happens.
Given the timings it MAY be too much sun on an overactive panel is the problem !

Last edited:
No it isn’t a portable, it’s fixed on the roof. The electric man did say undo it though which we did. We did have electric hook up at that site but had to disconnect that too and the electric came back on about 4. Then we moved to another site with no electric hookup so we connected the solar panels. But exactly the same thing happened. Electric all off after breakfast and would come back on about 4. Someone on the camp site said we must have an old battery but it was fully charged as people tested it.

It would be quite unusual, but it sounds like the solar is turning off the feed to the van. Solar controllers do have an output pair of terminals - that are rarely used - that are designed to power lighting. These can be programmed to come on when it gets dark and switch off when light.

Pictures of everything would be useful, especially the solar controller and it's wiring.

What van is it?

Last edited:
Has the problem stopped since you disconnected the solar from the batteries? It does sound like solar input is a factor looking at the times on and off

Strange it did sound like it could have been related to solar but if disconnected then it can’t be. Have you contacted Sargeant and explained what’s is happening to them, from other posts I have read they see decent support on the phone/email?

Yes we can’t fathom it out. No I don’t know sergeant have you a phone number?
I think he will have to take the van in next week.

When you say that the "electric" kept tripping off, did you mean the 230v mains supply or the motorhome's 12v battery supply?

My solar controller has a facility to power extras if required such as out side lights, etc,., this supply has a timer facility on it to select when it operates, could your supply be connected to the wrong terminals on the controller thus working on timed sequence , if you too have this facility??

No we are quite certain it’s not that as it’s been fine for 2 years, it just started about 3 weeks ago.

Hi not really sure if this will help but my moho has a control panel that can switch things on and off, eg power at set times of day. Sounds like yours could be doing this As it is always at the same time.

Thanks we don’t think there is a timer on it. It’s possible the battery is old , we are grateful for everybody’s help and please keep ideas coming. We are trying to contact the chap who put the solar in .

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back