Electric step problem

Matthew362

Hi, my electric step no longer retracts when I start the engine. I have changed relays and problem still there. I noticed also that the lights, TV etc no longer cut out when engine is started. Any help would be very much appreciated. It is a Fiat Ducato Swift Lifestyle 2003 motorhome.

It sounds like a relay problem, as you have already tried changing them, it could be a power to the relay that is the problem,

Have changed relays still nothing. Will check power to relay, if no power what could be wrong. The fault was intermittent at firstm

Check the fuses on your control system, if you have a good manual that should establish the one/s to check.

Have changed relays still nothing. Will check power to relay, if no power what could be wrong. The fault was intermittent at firstm
I am having the same problem, at the moment mine is in the intermittent stage.
When you discover the problem please share here

Hi, my electric step no longer retracts when I start the engine. I have changed relays and problem still there. I noticed also that the lights, TV etc no longer cut out when engine is started. Any help would be very much appreciated. It is a Fiat Ducato Swift Lifestyle 2003 motorhome.
It is also likely from your description that the split-charge system that charges the lesiure battery when driving is not working either.
Plus possibly the fridge on 12V?

All the above - Electric step, electrics cut-out when engine running, split-charge and fridge are all controlled via a "D+" signal from the alternator - if that is missing, you will get all the symptoms described.
Check the small (2A, 3A?) fuse is intact by the relays. check with a meter that that line is low/open with engine off and >12V with engine running.

I don’t know the layout of your Moho but I have a fiat ducato swift sundance 2003.

I have an additional relay for the step and it is inside the fridge void by the side of the fitted fridge.
As far as I know it’s the one that controls the step.

It clicked when I operated the step when the fridge was out . Of course I am mostly wrong. But that seems to be where mine is.

I am having the same problem, at the moment mine is in the intermittent stage.
When you discover the problem please share here
do you ever see the battery light icon in the dash light up when driving? This is driven by the same D+ alternator signal and will come on when the alternator is not working (and so no D+).
The problem could be a failing alternator which is then not generating a D+ to control the various motorhome accoutrements. (I have had this kind of issue in the pst when adding a split-charge setup to a new conversion on an older base van - the alternator was still just about ok for just the starter battery but the extra load to charge an additional leisure battery was beyond it).

do you ever see the battery light icon in the dash light up when driving? This is driven by the same D+ alternator signal and will come on when the alternator is not working (and so no D+).
The problem could be a failing alternator which is then not generating a D+ to control the various motorhome accoutrements. (I have had this kind of issue in the pst when adding a split-charge setup to a new conversion on an older base van - the alternator was still just about ok for just the starter battery but the extra load to charge an additional leisure battery was beyond it).
I have never seen the alternator light on, but sometimes the step doesn’t operate using the button, then it will suddenly work, and might work all week with no problems

On our 2004 sundance ....
if the starter battery is low after being parked for a while, and the step is out ...
Then it can take a short while for the voltage in the starter battery to lift high enough for the retract function to kick in.
I've also had issues with one of the fuses in the habitation fuse block in the wardrobe not seating properly (cheap nasty fuse holder probably )

Some times these problems can be because the D+ signal from the alternator isn't making a contact this is the small wire coming from the alternator to the ECU was quite often to read of it a while ago rubbing thru where the loom linked around a ECU mounting bar picture shows completed repair
rusty 2.jpg

Last edited:
Where abouts in the engine bay would I find the wire?
There are parts removed to allow access to do repair what happens the loom vibrates on the metal bar eventually allowing one or more of the wires to short out. Look to the rhs that mounting bar is bolted to the inner wing

Where abouts in the engine bay would I find the wire?
Before you go ripping things apart to check for this break/short (which it sounds like you are about to do?) .... have you actually put a meter on D+ wire where it is by the relay set and checked if it is there or not? and properly checked the fuse? and if there is a +12V on the incoming side, there is 12V out the other side?

Last edited:
I have never seen the alternator light on, but sometimes the step doesn’t operate using the button, then it will suddenly work, and might work all week with no problems
When my step didn't retract using the buttons I had to replace the Akai MPC Tact Switches on the step switch
Untitled.jpg

What make/model of van do you have? My van had an additional PCB hidden away that controlled the step, some internal and patio lights and internal 12V. Seems when the van was new it had a remote fob that allowed you to operate stuff. I know some Hymers had the same sort of thing but don't think it was on everything.

Mine was a black box about 3" long' 2" wide and maybe 1/2" deep made by Toptron and obsolete. I ended up re=routing the wiring and doing away with it but I also needed to change the step switch.

Haven't looked at it yet, been too busy with work😕
rusty 3.jpg

this pic shows the rusty bit that causes the damage everyone with a ducato should investigate this bit of tape could save some trouble later on

Back